What's new

Three Piece Suit without Tie

Hi all,

I am planning to wear a 3-piece suit without a tie, similar to Patrick Jane from the Mentalist TV show.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also wish to wear french cuff shirts. Now my workplace has a "business-casual" dress code, and so if I include a tie it will become too smart in my opinion. However I would prefer to stand out a bit compared to the suit and shirt dress of others. Sometimes I'd like to mix it up by going with a shirt and tie instead.

I start work in February and so can start from first impressions. I know that some people disagree with it but I quite like the look as on the smarter side of business-casual.

Opinions?

Thanks

Daven

It's a smart look, but I think it would only work if you had a casual suit, like he does in the picture. With a normal business suit, I think you run the risk of looking simultaneously overdressed and unprofessional. I'd recommend starting your job and getting comfortable in your surroundings before wearing deconstructed 3-piece suits. Keep in mind, 3-piece suits are already considered "fashion" suits these days, only really appropriate when you've had some time to establish yourself in your position. Of course it depends on your job.

It's a smart look, but I think it would only work if you had a casual suit, like he does in the picture. With a normal business suit, I think you run the risk of looking simultaneously overdressed and unprofessional. I'd recommend starting your job and getting comfortable in your surroundings before wearing deconstructed 3-piece suits. Keep in mind, 3-piece suits are already considered "fashion" suits these days, only really appropriate when you've had some time to establish yourself in your position. Of course it depends on your job.

I had an internship at the company, the job is in IT so I am fairly comfortable in the surroundings and they consider corduroys and khaki trousers acceptable so I'm sure a casual suit such as this would work well. However most people wear a suit and shirt, some even with a tie.

I will try it out in a fitting room with regards to using a normal business suit to establish whether or not it will be too unprofessional.

I like his style. any ideas what brand he's wearing?

No idea! Have done a quick search but didn't come up with anything.

I wear a two piece suit with shirt sans tie with most meetings. The only time put the tie on is for job interviews, new client pitches and special occasions.

Seems like the hierarchy of formality would preclude this from ever happening. I mean, to make the jump from a two-piece to a three-piece, a tie is absolutely required. Nevermind the French cuffs.

This sounds like the equivalent of putting on a raincoat without wearing any pants.

Seems like the hierarchy of formality would preclude this from ever happening. I mean, to make the jump from a two-piece to a three-piece, a tie is absolutely required. Nevermind the French cuffs.

This sounds like the equivalent of putting on a raincoat without wearing any pants.

you wear pants with a raincoat? :lol:

3 piece suit without a tie? fine just DON'T button the top collar of your shirt :eek::thumbdown

but of course not! I never button the top of my shirt when I'm not wearing a tie.

patrick jane is wearing a savile row suit, allegedly.

Thanks, had a look and can't find it :( might be a custom one.

Is there any way in your opinion to make this work?

My $.02: You should also consider wearing a spread collar shirt.

Thanks, they are the kind of shirts I was considering.

The somewhat rumpled but not sloppy look you could probably get by finding a seersucker suit in a dark color (not the normal light or striped).

Another option is a high wale corduroy (better for winter use).

Both of those options are likely fairly rare off the rack, especially in a 3 piece suit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think your intended "look" is better without the suit jacket ... just the waistcoat and pants, especially if you are in a pretty casually dressed office. So you can look for places that sell the suit items seperately, and save the big bucks that the suit jacket (the most expensive part) would have cost you.

I think your intended "look" is better without the suit jacket ... just the waistcoat and pants, especially if you are in a pretty casually dressed office. So you can look for places that sell the suit items seperately, and save the big bucks that the suit jacket (the most expensive part) would have cost you.

OP, even though I would never try any part of this adventure, I'd say your best chance to pull it off is described above.

Top Bottom