What's new

Three months at sea with a stick of Arko

That was the Marilyn, formerly the Overseas Marilyn. It is a break-bulk stick ship operated by Sealift, Inc. I was on that ship for about 7 months, took it into shipyard in Turkey and flew home. I always liked stick ships. In deck department, I just don't think you can make a real sailor without time on stick ships. That's real sailing. Unfortunately there are only a few left, and Sealift has them all, I think. Well, and maybe Red River. I'm sure MARAD has a few mothballed here and there. Wow... it seems like yesterday an AB would have hung his head in shame when admitting he couldn't splice a wire. Now people are surprised when the Bosun can splice. When a relief C/M can get a rig set up correctly the first time, he is now regarded as an old salt. Skills that used to be commonplace, are now rare. Anyway, Here is a pic of it I found on Shipspotting.com http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=453078 And I think I have a video from the tail end of that storm on my site, www.thevoicestoldme.com. Or maybe just stills from it, I don't remember. I don't spend much time or effort on the site.

Not too many tips... just do it, I guess. Well, try to brace up well against your sink, and take the shave a stroke at a time. Hesitating between even short strokes helps me to concentrate on control in heavy weather. I keep it down to a single more or less WTG pass.

Looking for a Ship has given me a little insight into some of your terms - stick ship, AB, C/M... Sounds like a life of constant adventure!

In 1989 my Older brother (who just retired from the Navy after 27 years) worked a cod boat out of Dutch Harbor and snail mailed me a similar story about shaving with a SE disposable razor on his boat that was rolling and pitching in 20 foot seas and I thought he was crazy... His response shook me and I have always remembered the profoundness of it as it was the only "me time" he could get in and he needed it desperately after working 40 hours straight setting and hauling cod pots...I didn't fully appreciate just how hard shaving can be, but at the same time just how rewarding it is...a time of solace to reflect upon the past, and to prepare for the future..Ii think it is a character building experience, depending upon where the endeavour is undertaken... Enjoy your "me time" i know you earn it!

Calm seas and fair winds!

WOW!!! The pictures on this thread have been incredible. Just looking at the pics posted by Slash made me sea sick!

Thanks for the entertaining post. I happen to like Arko as well. I have also tried La Toja, Palmolive, and Speick in sticks. I have not gotten around to trying the Valobra yet. The sticks are nice, since you can still build a quality shaving lather on the face, while saving a bit of time (or at least a step).

Top Bottom