What's new

Three-month old Indian newbie checking in

Technically, I'm about 40 years old, and only used safety razors when I began shaving in my late teens. However I got tired of bleeding all the time, as a combination of El cheapo razors and awful technique, and moved over to cartridges. But recently, I came across more and more people online recommending traditional safety razors. And so, I began to rediscover the old ways for myself. I'm trying to stay cheap for the moment. I'll write reviews of my equipment, in the order I've used them. I have still not perfected my technique, so please let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

Razors:

Feather Popular: (900 INR, 14 USD) Extremely mild, as everyone says, so much so that I don't know when I'm actually shaving, and not just sliding the razor across my face. Whenever I use this, I end up with a bloody face. I think I might have used it about 10 times so far, and I still end with a bloody face. And I've never gotten a good shave with it either, especially around my chin and below my jaw.

7'o Clock Sterling: (80 INR, 1.25 USD) It's supposed to be a more aggressive version of Gillette Tech. I can feel the blade on my face and have learnt how to be careful with it. I get decent shaves, and a couple of cuts each time.

Baili BT171: (560 INR, 8.7 USD) It's supposed to be a closer clone of Gillette Tech, and it's milder than the Sterling. But again, I can feel the blade on my face, and can judge how to be careful. I get nearly perfect shaves with this.

Shaving creams and soaps:

Old Spice shaving cream, original scent: (~60 INR) Mild scent, and loses most of its slickness after a pass.

Godrej shaving round: (~20 INR) Mild scent, and hard to find. I only bought it after seeing very positive reviews. I hate it. It lathers up quickly enough, but the foam loses nearly all its slickness after the blade goes over it. Subsequent swipes (of the same pass) with the razor become very difficult unless the foam is reapplied.

Gillette series shave gel, the kind that comes in a tube: (~60 INR) Works perfectly for me, and I like its fragrance.

Shaving brushes:

Gillette nylon bristle: (~60 INR) Very basic, and feels rough, but it works well enough.

Venus horsehair brush: (200 INR) I found something cheap on ebay, so I decided to try it out. It's awful. The knot is too long, and the hair is pretty sparse, so it's hard to build up (or retain) a good lather. Moreover, it sheds so much that I get to shave a horse while I'm trying to shave my face.

Others:

Kashish Lucas alum block: (~20 INR) I found it at a local grocery. Though the box doesn't say what kind it is, some website says it's potash alum. It works well enough.

Gillette Guard: (~20 INR) Though it's a cartridge razor, it's got a single blade. Anyway, it works perfectly for me. Though not as mild as a Mach 3, I get perfect shaves with it.

I'm open to trying out more expensive imported stuff, but I refuse to pay the stinking government exorbitant import duties, as a matter of principle. I'll ask friends who travel to bring me stuff.

I guess my first question is about the Feather Popular: how do you get it to work? I have tried to keep the top plate flushed against my skin, but I still bleed a lot, and continue to get awful shaves.

PS: I have only tried Feather blades and Gillette Wilkinson Sword salon pack blades so far. I'll try other local options soon.

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B. Is there something wrong with the Popular, is the blade loose when the the razor is closed. I wouldn't think a Popular would cut you that easily unless something is wrong with it.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Welcome.

Take a close look at the safety bar on the Popular with a blade in, doors closed. Are the bars straight with the blade? Blade edge appear the same on both sides? I remember someone having one where the safety bars would bend out of straight if the razor was over tightened.

Good luck!
Mark

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome and the suggestions.

@matwho and @Hoka Hey, I examined my Feather Popular, and the manufacturing seems flawless. It's got perfect alignment and gaps as far as I can see. I am fairly confident it's my technique that's off. I think I press it until I get some feedback from the blade. And I still haven't figured out the angle to get it to work right.

@matwho and @Hoka Hey, I examined my Feather Popular, and the manufacturing seems flawless. It's got perfect alignment and gaps as far as I can see. I am fairly confident it's my technique that's off. I think I press it until I get some feedback from the blade. And I still haven't figured out the angle to get it to work right.

Greetings, ticor, and welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your product reviews, most interesting! I have not used the Feather Popular, but when you say that you 'press it until I get some feedback from the blade' it sounds like to much pressure might be the issue.

The angle is small. With a Feather blade, a light razor, and a light touch, you should get plenty of audible feedback when it's working right. No audible feedback, and the angle is wrong. Pressure will put it in landscape mode, taking off any high points!

@sandstone and @Hoka Hey, I followed your advice and used practically no pressure at all. It was a 2nd day Wilkinson Sword blade in a Feather Popular. The good news is that I did not bleed at all. However, the bad news is that it took me several passes to clean an area, in all three directions WTG, XTG, ATG. I have a visibly clean shave now, but there are still spots where when I go ATG with my fingers, I feel some roughness. The other downside of these excessive number of passes is that it left my entire face raw. The alum block lit up my entire face like nothing before. The Gillette gel performed admirably.

Welcome Ticor...I've read all the above comments , I think you are using less pressure and working on the blade angle, that's great...But what about your prep work ? Are you using plain bath bar soap and hot water to wash and then rinse your face twice before shaving ? Try that and maybe after the double wash/rinse apply a hot wet towel to your beard for a minute or so before lathering up....Sounds like your brush is not very good, Vie-Long is the only horse hair brush I trust for quality, you may want to save up for a decent badger brush, even black badger brushes from OMEGA are very good shave tools....India has at least 50 brands of creams, and most are very good quality, you may want to try the Dettol , Yardley or Park Ave. creams, they never let me down...Good luck and don't give up , that Feather Popular is a great razor and really a best buy...

Top Bottom