What's new

Threads slipping while screwing the razor head.

I have been using a DE razor for a few years now. Since a couple of weeks I find that the threads slip while fixing the head on to the stalk when the blade is in. But when the blade is removed, it fits perfect. This is a non-butterfly type. Should I get a new razor?

I think I bought it in 2010. It is Old Spice

Attachments

• Razor Top view.jpg
    Razor Top view.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Razor side view.jpg
    Razor side view.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 34
It looks as if the threads are badly corroded. If you've been using it regularly for the last 11 years, you've gotten your money's worth from it, and it's time for a new razor. I'm not at all familiar with an Old Spice double edge razor, so I can't suggest something that would be similar.

From the looks of the top plate (looks like Zamak), could be that that the post is separating from the plate. In which case, it will one day just pop off when you screw on the handle. Likely time for a new razor....

Last edited:
Okay, got the new set delivered by Amazon. It is Pearl Brand open comb. They have sent a set of 10 blades too.

Attachments

• The new razor.jpg
    The new razor.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 17
  • What's inside.jpg
    What's inside.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Package.jpg
    Package.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to B&B.
I got an idea to place a thin washer in between the plates to shift the thread alignment during locking. Now the razor works like an open comb one. It has become more sharper.
That probably works like a shim and hence you got a bigger blade gap, if I am reading that correctly. That washer also brought another thread into play but it won't last long.
Okay, got the new set delivered by Amazon. It is Pearl Brand open comb.
Looks like a Pearl SS-04 but there seem to be variable views on that brand. Hopefully you got a good one but I assume you can return it to Amazon if the quality is poor. Some reviews say the blade exposure is uneven so check it carefully.
Lubricate the threaded post with mineral oil to protect the threads or it will end up the same as your last razor.

Most of the less expensive razors are made from Zamac alloy and are plated with chrome. The problem is that over time, friction wears down the plating on the screw threads leaving the Zamac open to corrosion.

There are razors made from solid brass, bronze, stainless steel, aluminum or titanium. Most will last a lifetime and beyond, but they tend to be more expensive than Zamac razors. The early Gillette were made of brass and many 100 year old razors are still being used.

You do not necessarily have to replace your entire razor if the threads on the inside of the handle are still good. You can purchase replacement heads for razors from several of the shaving vendors. The replacement head you purchase should be made of the same metal as your original razor. If you have dissimilar metals, you can set up a situation in which galvanic corrosion will cause corrosion to progress even more rapidly.

Unless you have a particular fondness for the handle of your current razor, it may be time to get a new one. They are available anywhere from around $20 up through several hundred dollars. The expensive razors tend to be CNC machined from high quality metals. Many are works of art as well as mechanical marvels.

Thank You @Invicta and @RayClem for your feedback.

I used the new Pearl SS4 razor, and, it is very heavy. I used it with Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack blade. There is no blade mis-alignment. It was a very smooth shave. As others pointed out here, since the razor is a cheaper one in terms of price, it could be a Zamac alloy make. Do such razors tend to be heavy? Also before use, I poured oil into the grooves so that it is protected before it is exposed to the soap.

Thank You @Invicta and @RayClem for your feedback.

I used the new Pearl SS4 razor, and, it is very heavy. I used it with Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack blade. There is no blade mis-alignment. It was a very smooth shave. As others pointed out here, since the razor is a cheaper one in terms of price, it could be a Zamac alloy make. Do such razors tend to be heavy? Also before use, I poured oil into the grooves so that it is protected before it is exposed to the soap.

I have not used the Pears SS4, but some information I found indicates that it is a brass razor with chrome plating. That is ideal as brass is a lot less affected by corrosion than Zamac. Brass is a very dense metal, so brass razors tend to be heavy. Personally, I love heavy razors made from brass, stainless steel or bronze.

I have not used the Pears SS4, but some information I found indicates that it is a brass razor with chrome plating. That is ideal as brass is a lot less affected by corrosion than Zamac. Brass is a very dense metal, so brass razors tend to be heavy. Personally, I love heavy razors made from brass, stainless steel or bronze.

Bronze is more expensive and heavy but very brittle and so should be handled carefully. Brass is lighter than bronze but can sustain if dropped. I think stainless steel is the lightest and toughest of the three. Bronze may not be viable material for making razors for its brittleness.

Bronze may not be viable material for making razors for its brittleness.

I do not think the folks at Timeless Razor would agree. They use C9545 bronze for some of their razors. However, they also make razors from Stainless Steel, Titanium and aluminum.

However, brass does tend to be used more often than bronze.

Top Bottom