What's new

Thread Tape?

If I notice a pen (specifically a fountain pen) isn't writing smoothly, I can sometimes fix the problem by unscrewing it and making sure everything is seated right.
I like to keep them screwed tight, but I don't want to crack anything by over-tightening.

Would it be okay to use a thread tape to keep everything together and maybe prevent leaks? I'm thinking the thin plumber's tape you can find for 60¢ a roll. It's 1/2" wide but can be trimmed down.

Silicone grease is probably what you're looking for. A small dab on threads prevents leaks.

The Teflon tape is likely to increase the hoop stress in your threaded connections and might actually end up causing the cracks you're trying to prevent.

Silicone grease is probably what you're looking for. A small dab on threads prevents leaks.

The Teflon tape is likely to increase the hoop stress in your threaded connections and might actually end up causing the cracks you're trying to prevent.
Great advice. I appreciate it.

I tried thread tape on a Noodler's Konrad that leaked around the nib and feed. It worked for a little while, but it was not a reliable solution in my case.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I agree with the silicone gel, although I didn’t think of that initially. Pens, especially expensive pens, are generally engineered to fit together precisely. I would think any extra thickness on the threads could cause damage.

Also, if it’s leaking or you have to do anything extra to make it work right you might just considering getting a replacement. Or contacting the manufacturer. Could be defective.

Top Bottom