What's new

Thread finder help

I picked up my bygone grandfather in-laws gillette black handle adjustable. Is there a thread on how to use this thing properly. It's my first gillette and my first adjustable. I just want to make sure I'm doing things properly and don't want to damage any parts by forcing something.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by "use it properly".
You would use it the same as any DE razor as far as angle etc.
There is a twist to open knob at the bottom and an adjustment dial at the top . 1 is less aggressive 9 is most.
Be sure to open the doors before you adjust the dial.
I would suggest that you start off very low down on the dial till you get more familiar with this razor.
You mention it's your first Gillette, what have you been shaving with?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "use it properly".
You would use it the same as any DE razor as far as angle etc.
There is a twist to open knob at the bottom and an adjustment dial at the top . 1 is less aggressive 9 is most.
Be sure to open the doors before you adjust the dial.
I would suggest that you start off very low down on the dial till you get more familiar with this razor.
You mention it's your first Gillette, what have you been shaving with?

I've been shaving with a Merkur HD for 1 year and a Dovo Straight for 6 weeks. So yes I understand basic shaving technique, etc. I guess I don't understand the feature on the handle. The middle black peice (the bigger one). If you twist it all the to the left while holding the head, it will raise hit 1 and raise up the length of the handle. Now if you slide to say say 4 and twist the middle black peice right. Be sure to hold the head and the dial knob at same time in place, it will lower the length of the handle so slighty. I suppose this is the locking mechanism to keep your dialer in place?

When you close the razor with the Twist-To-Open knob at the bottom, be sure to give it an extra quarter turn to make sure it is locked down.

As for the adjustments ... start at 1 (the mildest,) and increment up one notch each day until you start cutting yourself. Then back it down to the last day's setting, and that should be your "baseline" for shaving.

No rule says you can't adjust a razor between passes, such as to handle a special trouble-spot on your neck, or for sensitive areas under the nose.

As others have noted, be sure to loosen the silo doors between adjustments, by backing off the TTO knob a little bit until the blade is loose. Otherwise, you risk jamming the ratchet mechanism.

Dam. No my razor is locked maybe jammed. I tried to lock in 4 then unlock. It wouldn't lift up but it twisted to 1 and now it's just stuck in 1. It's raised up as if it's still in 4. How can I fix this? Like I said there really should be thread for this stuff.

OK it seems to be locked in place, but I can change 1-9 by twisting "very hard". So it still works just not smoothly

Now a peice of my head popped off. One of the 4 hinges. I must of pressed to hard against it. Oh well. Thanks guys for trying to help. I guess Gillettes weren't meant for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've been shaving with a Merkur HD for 1 year and a Dovo Straight for 6 weeks. So yes I understand basic shaving technique, etc. I guess I don't understand the feature on the handle. The middle black peice (the bigger one). If you twist it all the to the left while holding the head, it will raise hit 1 and raise up the length of the handle. Now if you slide to say say 4 and twist the middle black peice right. Be sure to hold the head and the dial knob at same time in place, it will lower the length of the handle so slighty. I suppose this is the locking mechanism to keep your dialer in place?

If your handle is changing length when you turn anything, you have a buggy razor.
The very lowest part of the handle, the smaller black portion is the twist to open knob. if you hold the middle larger black piece and turn the lower knob to the left, the doors should open.
Then you can hold the middle piece and turn the upper dial section between 1 to 9 to adjust blade height, insert a blade, then turn the lower knob to the right to close the doors.
If your razor isn't doing these things there is a problem with the razor.
I have two that just got bugged up inside somehow, you can't adjust the dial, and the middle portion turns. These are broken razors.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom