What's new

Thread Adapters for Early Gems and Ever Ready

Would you bid on something like this for Charity?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
I have made some brass thread adapters that are #8-24 on one end and #10-32 on the other. I am hoping to donate them to the Sue Moore Memorial Fundraiser, and wanted to see if there was much interest??? Any Lather Catcher or 1914 users out there? I was thinking 3 to a pack. I only have enough for 10 packs made. . . . .but I have more brass stock on order (even if I am feeling a little tuckered out after the first batch).

The #8-24 (now obsolete) will thread into the older Gem-type razors, and the #10-32 will thread into Gillette and Modern (M5) handles. You can essentially put an early Gem-type head on any handle that will work with a Gillette head.

I don't pla7n to ever offer these for sale (anywhere). Just making them for self, friends and family, but I made some extra in hopes they would find interest in the upcoming Auction.

They aren't the highest quality, but I was doing better at the end of the 24" brass stock than I was at the beginning of it. Thanks to @Jim99 for talking through this with me by PM. I bought the Lather Catcher from him recently, and he included a really cool wooden handle he made for it--it inspired me.

I will post "how to" information later. There have been past threads, but wanted to post a fresh one with the poll.

Note: If you have never tried a Lather Catcher with a Tuckaway handle, I highly recommend it.

2019-09-07 11.47.09.jpg
2019-09-18 17.17.11.jpg

That tuckaway handle on the Gem lather catcher looks fantastic!

So with the adapters you made, I can use various handles in my den on my Gems. That’s definitely cool! The early lather catcher handles are too light for many of us, and the later ones have the weight, but many find them too short. These adapters might very well be the solution to the issue.

If these are in the upcoming auction here, I would definitely be interested in bidding. You did some nice work and it’s a generous offering.
:a14:

I'd love to have one. I have a Gem that didn't come with a handle, and this would be perfect to put one on it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
This would be great! Sometimes it's a little fiddly to get a 6-32 screw down through those 8-24 holes. Yeah, I'd be in for a pack.

O.H.

I agree with a 1914 and a decent handle :001_smile (see the photo below). I think I may like the Lather Catcher better, but I sure like to use what I have in the picture below.

I am finding the handles I like on my DE razors are a little too long for the 1914. . . . and significantly too long on the Lather Catcher. I don't really like the handle below on my DE's, but it works really nicely for me anyway on the 1914. I don't like the Tuckaway on the New Improved (I like an MR1 on New Improved), but I like the Tuckaway on the Lather Catcher.

I now find it easier to put a new handle on the very old Gems as opposed the newer Gem's, which used to be easier with a 10-32 set screw from the hardware store screwed into the head and the handle. The set screw always threads to far one direction (and not enough in the other), but with the different thread sizes of these adapters, you can screw the adapter securely into the older style Gem head (up to the size transition) and then screw the handle on.

2019-09-20 17.02.51.jpg

I agree with a 1914 and a decent handle :001_smile (see the photo below). I think I may like the Lather Catcher better, but I sure like to use what I have in the picture below.

I am finding the handles I like on my DE razors are a little too long for the 1914. . . . and significantly too long on the Lather Catcher. I don't really like the handle below on my DE's, but it works really nicely for me anyway on the 1914. I don't like the Tuckaway on the New Improved (I like an MR1 on New Improved), but I like the Tuckaway on the Lather Catcher.

I now find it easier to put a new handle on the very old Gems as opposed the newer Gem's, which used to be easier with a 10-32 set screw from the hardware store screwed into the head and the handle. The set screw always threads to far one direction (and not enough in the other), but with the different thread sizes of these adapters, you can screw the adapter securely into the older style Gem head (up to the size transition) and then screw the handle on.

View attachment 1018733
That handle must really change the characteristics of the razor. What’s nice is that the adapters let you experiment so you can find the combination that works best.

I said I would post some instructions. If anyone has pointers for me, I would love the advice.

1. Get a #8-24 Die. The only one I could find (actually in past B&B thread) was from #8-24 Special Pitch Round Die, 13/16" Outside Diameter - High Speed Steel . This is pretty cheap, but they have a $25 minimum order and shipping was outrageous (probably because I bought some cutting oil to get up to $25). I also got a die stock DS-13/16 Die Stock for 13/16" diameter round dies.

2. Get some #10-32 brass threaded stock. Amazon.

3. I use a Dremel to taper the end before trying to thread the Die on (using the side of a cut-off wheel) at a about 45 degrees around the end.

4. I start the Die--this is a really hard part. Sometimes it goes smooth. Other times it does not. Need to be careful on which side of the die to use. In the picture in the link, it is the top side where the entry to the die is tapered into the threads gradually. I used to flip the die around after getting it started so that the thread transition was more abrupt, but I stopped doing that--I think the taper at the transition helps lock the adapter into the razor head so it doesn't unscrew too easily. At first, it was hard to get the Die started on squarely so the two threaded sections are in line, but here is enough play in the razor handles to take up the misalignment most of the time. I can pick out one in the picture of the adapters that isn't very square--I think it was from when I was using the die backwards even at the start of threading.

5. The hardest part to figure out was how to hold the threaded stock as I was trying to thread the Die onto it (without it moving). I used 4 pair of 10-32 nuts with each pair snugged against each other so the threads wouldn't turn inside the nuts when the nuts were snugged. I then put the nuts in a vice with several inches of stock sticking out of the vise to work with. When I was out of stock, I would remove from the vise, loosen the pairs of nuts and place back in the vice. I would turn the threaded stock within the loosed nuts to move all 8 of the nuts at the same time relative to the stock. Then I would tighten the nut pairs and secure back in the vice. See picture at bottom.

6. After cutting about 3 rounds of 8-24 thread onto the 10-32 stock, I cut the adapter from the stock using the Dremel. I then used a 1914 razor head to hold and turn the adapter as I used the cutoff wheel to taper the end of the adapter so they are "rounded" at the ends.

2019-09-20 18.25.47.jpg

ALTERNATE INSTRUCTIONS:

A. Bid at the Auction

B. Check your mail box.

ALTERNATE TO THE ALTERNATE:

I asked a machine shop for an estimate to custom make these. They wanted $25 a piece with a minimum order of 20. . . . . . .and I promptly decided to buy my own tools:117: and start futzin' around. Building these has really been enjoyable though.

Yes the handle really makes it feel different. At this point for me, it is more variety as opposed to what works best. I am not experienced enough to find what works best--just playing and enjoying the variety.

I said I would post some instructions. If anyone has pointers for me, I would love the advice.

1. Get a #8-24 Die. The only one I could find (actually in past B&B thread) was from #8-24 Special Pitch Round Die, 13/16" Outside Diameter - High Speed Steel . This is pretty cheap, but they have a $25 minimum order and shipping was outrageous (probably because I bought some cutting oil to get up to $25). I also got a die stock DS-13/16 Die Stock for 13/16" diameter round dies.

2. Get some #10-32 brass threaded stock. Amazon.

3. I use a Dremel to taper the end before trying to thread the Die on (using the side of a cut-off wheel) at a about 45 degrees around the end.

4. I start the Die--this is a really hard part. Sometimes it goes smooth. Other times it does not. Need to be careful on which side of the die to use. In the picture in the link, it is the top side where the entry to the die is tapered into the threads gradually. I used to flip the die around after getting it started so that the thread transition was more abrupt, but I stopped doing that--I think the taper at the transition helps lock the adapter into the razor head so it doesn't unscrew too easily. At first, it was hard to get the Die started on squarely so the two threaded sections are in line, but here is enough play in the razor handles to take up the misalignment most of the time. I can pick out one in the picture of the adapters that isn't very square--I think it was from when I was using the die backwards even at the start of threading.

5. The hardest part to figure out was how to hold the threaded stock as I was trying to thread the Die onto it (without it moving). I used 4 pair of 10-32 nuts with each pair snugged against each other so the threads wouldn't turn inside the nuts when the nuts were snugged. I then put the nuts in a vice with several inches of stock sticking out of the vise to work with. When I was out of stock, I would remove from the vise, loosen the pairs of nuts and place back in the vice. I would turn the threaded stock within the loosed nuts to move all 8 of the nuts at the same time relative to the stock. Then I would tighten the nut pairs and secure back in the vice. See picture at bottom.

6. After cutting about 3 rounds of 8-24 thread onto the 10-32 stock, I cut the adapter from the stock using the Dremel. I then used a 1914 razor head to hold and turn the adapter as I used the cutoff wheel to taper the end of the adapter so they are "rounded" at the ends.

View attachment 1018772

ALTERNATE INSTRUCTIONS:

A. Bid at the Auction

B. Check your mail box.

ALTERNATE TO THE ALTERNATE:

I asked a machine shop for an estimate to custom make these. They wanted $25 a piece with a minimum order of 20. . . . . . .and I promptly decided to buy my own tools:117: and start futzin' around. Building these has really been enjoyable though.
Those are great instructions. Very cool!

The #8-24 (now obsolete) will thread into the older Gem-type razors, and the #10-32 will thread into Gillette and Modern (M5) handles. You can essentially put an early Gem-type head on any handle that will work with a Gillette head.
I think some of the earlier GEMs actually used a smaller #6-24 thread but can’t confirm. You might need to do another production run ;-)

@rudyt, if someone wants some bad enough to send me a #6-24 die, I will crank out some of them. Might be a bit of a challenge. I could not find a #6-24 die. . . . but I have no need for it luckily.

Very nice work! I'll pass on this since I'm in the UK and I find the UK 2BA thread joins M5 handles to 1912 heads quite nicely. Not as nice a solution as yours but it works for me.

Very nice work! I'll pass on this since I'm in the UK and I find the UK 2BA thread joins M5 handles to 1912 heads quite nicely. Not as nice a solution as yours but it works for me.
1912s have different threading , that's why this solution was need for the 1914 and lather catchers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom