What's new

Thread Adapters for Early Gems and Ever Ready

Would you bid on something like this for Charity?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Some of the 1912's have the older small diameter coarse threading also (like the 1914's and the Lather Catchers). I think the Damaskeen's are this way as well as some of the Gem 1912's that come in the nice square metal cases (at least I think they are 1912's). I picked up a couple of these for my sons, and they use the adapters with different handles when not camping.

This is really innovative and I’m still very excited about this. I love my Gem and Ever Ready razors, but I’ve never been thrilled with the stock handles. Being able to select my favorite handle from the den opens up a new dimension.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
There are quite a few sets listed in the charity auction.
I know!!! I keep bidding on a set, and someone bids it up. I bid on another set with no other bids, and someone bids me up. I've been bidding $10, but I'm getting ready to bid on multiple sets and set the bids higher....not because I'm trying to hog up these excellent items, but because people are strange and will pay $30 for a set of 3 while 7 other sets of three never get bid on! :out:

Just to be clear, I am not griping, this is NOT my first B&B auction, and because it's for a very worthy cause, I'm happy to jump in and just start throwing bids like I'm trying trying to "make it rain" with my paycheck. This really is how it works, and that's cool :punk: -- I just don't want to lose out on this particular item....Elvis, you've got a real winner on your hands!!!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
There are quite a few sets listed in the charity auction.
And after all that, I see you've set a minimum bid of $5 per set by bidding on them yourself....very smart, and they should absolutely go for more than that. It's a good cause and you put a lot of work into them. I won't say how high I'll go, but I will say that I'm not losing out on at least one set of 3! :001_smile

Thanks Mr
And after all that, I see you've set a minimum bid of $5 per set by bidding on them yourself....very smart, and they should absolutely go for more than that. It's a good cause and you put a lot of work into them. I won't say how high I'll go, but I will say that I'm not losing out on at least one set of 3! :001_smile
Thanks Mr. Flintstone! Yeah I realized shipping and the padded envelope cost added up to $5 almost. Just figured it would be easier for me to pay the $5 to the charity and hold on to them than to ship them at $5 when I saw the weird bidding you are referencing.

This my first auction on B and B. Quite the hoot to watch!

If you bid on a few and end up winning more than one by mistake, I can ship to separate CONUS locations so you can share with a buddy.

I was a recipient of a few of these adapters from a friend and was wondering if there are any more available.

I was a recipient of a few of these adapters from a friend and was wondering if there are any more available.
I am glad you like them enough to be interested. It feels good.

I don't plan on ever making these for sale--they are such a pain to make. I might make them again for the next fund raiser, include them with used razors I sell, give to friends, or trade.

Question for anyone skilled in the art: Does anyone know of a tool that can put a taper on a metal cylinder (to make the end look like a partially sharpened wood pencil)? The hardest part of making these is getting the Die started on the larger allthread. I push and twist and grunt and moan. . . . . . .and jab the rod into my palm, cussing while sweat drips off my chin. They would be fun to make if this part were easier.

If someone is interested, I can help you get started making them. It is fun and rewarding if you only do a handful.

I was thinking of buying the die but figured I'd check with you. I have a wood lathe and made this handle insert today. I have a tap that isn't the exact thread you used but still works. I have enough rod to make several.
I could taper the ends by hand for what you are talking about.
20200401_140408_HDR~2.jpg

Sorry for the long delay @GAW9576 . I was pondering what you have above, and I pondered longer than my memory could keep track of what I was pondering.

I am not sure what you use the tap for. Is it to tap the threads into the Rod your show in the picture for the purpose of holding the allthread (whithin the rod and within the lathe) so that you can turn the 10-32 all thread in the lathe (to taper and then to run into the 8-24 Die)? I think you have far better equipment than I have. I took very much a brute force approach with pretty simple tools. If you have the type of stuff I think you might have, you could run circles around me I'm sure (and I am quite happy for that). Let me know what you are up to and let me know how I can help. . . . either here or shoot me a PM.

I know that you don't want to tap anything on the razor. The whole point of the adapters is to avoid what some people do--using a 10-32 tap on a Lather catcher so that they can go to the hardware store and use an off the shelf 10-32 set screw.

Sorry for the long delay @GAW9576 . I was pondering what you have above, and I pondered longer than my memory could keep track of what I was pondering.

I am not sure what you use the tap for. Is it to tap the threads into the Rod your show in the picture for the purpose of holding the allthread (whithin the rod and within the lathe) so that you can turn the 10-32 all thread in the lathe (to taper and then to run into the 8-24 Die)? I think you have far better equipment than I have. I took very much a brute force approach with pretty simple tools. If you have the type of stuff I think you might have, you could run circles around me I'm sure (and I am quite happy for that). Let me know what you are up to and let me know how I can help. . . . either here or shoot me a PM.

I know that you don't want to tap anything on the razor. The whole point of the adapters is to avoid what some people do--using a 10-32 tap on a Lather catcher so that they can go to the hardware store and use an off the shelf 10-32 set screw.

believe he uses them on the inner part of turned handle......but could be wrong.

camo

Top Bottom