What's new

Thousand Dollar Shaving Society

Total set up value (USD)

• Total voters
That gillette pure isn't too bad either.

It is one of the most effective products I have. I use it quite a bit because any brush will effortlessly blow it up into a big slippery lather. My razor absolutely flies around my face when I use it.

My set is probably right around $100, if not under.
Gillette Rocket $40
Simpson Special S1 brush: $40
TOBS shave cream: $12
Dove Men + Care Hydrate aftershave: $4
Total value: $96
I honestly dont see how you could have a $1K setup unless you have a Wolfman razor and Simpson Chubby brush.

Do straight razor strops count towards the total?

Going to shave without one? I’d count it.

my expensive, at new retail prices:

Tim Zowada Carbon Series $425 (bought used)
M&F/Sears Chubby $250-ish? ($5 raffle win. Yep, really)
Kanayama #3 strop $90-95?
Jnat hone progression $250
i Coloniali, terra cotta $35?

my cheapest, that I’ve actually shaved with:

Gold Dollar 66 $4.50
Lapping film honing: $24
Omega 40033 $7
ivory bar soap $.39
newspaper strop, free

that said, I could bust the $1000 bar with a single custom Zowada razor.

Hey, If you need a head up to achieve the mark. I was looking at the Simpson site thinking something in Manchurian just because I don't have one. I let Paypal calculate the exchange rate and, well, in Great Britain exchanging for Euro's from Dollars American; we're in the moon shack right now boys. Congrats to our cousins on the other side of the Pond. It seems Brexit worked out after all. Spend it for a good cause now, hear?

I've got a few $100+ razors and brushes that would put me in the under 500 category, but nothing so rare that would catapult me into the $1000 club

Going to shave without one? I’d count it.

my expensive, at new retail prices:

Tim Zowada Carbon Series $425 (bought used)
M&F/Sears Chubby $250-ish? ($5 raffle win. Yep, really)
Kanayama #3 strop $90-95?
Jnat hone progression $250
i Coloniali, terra cotta $35?

my cheapest, that I’ve actually shaved with:

Gold Dollar 66 $4.50
Lapping film honing: $24
Omega 40033 $7
ivory bar soap $.39
newspaper strop, free

that said, I could bust the $1000 bar with a single custom Zowada razor.
Ah the straight razor... A simple tool with so many ‘accessories’!

My most expensive setup would be..

Razorock Mamba 53 - $70
Viking brush + SHD knot - $70
SV & Asylum brushworks soap - $30
TASS Humidor aftershave - $12

Total: $182.

In the actual cost, I got it for little over $100. Not bad.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most expensive setup in my collection.
Razor: Razorock Wunder bar slant -$130 US
Soap : Taylor of old Bond street Sandal wood-$19 US
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft Synthetic $15 US
Post shave: Thayers witch Hazel $8 US
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver aftershave $20 US
Post shave : Avon "True Gent" balm $6 US
Shave bowl : $1.50 US
Total: $199.50 US
Most expensive Setup. (2).jpg

Least Expensive setup in my collection.
Razor: Used Schick i2 injector $5 US
Soap : Williams Soap mug $2 US
Brush: Cheap Chinese Synthetic $3 US
Post shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel $5 US
Post shave: Nivea aftershave $6 US
Post shave :Nivea balm $5 US
Shave bowl :$1.50
Total : $27.50 US
Least expensive Setup. (2).jpg

My Total collection of shaving related products is well over $1,000.00 US.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I honestly dont see how you could have a $1K setup unless you have a Wolfman razor and Simpson Chubby brush.

Even that wouldn't necessarily do it, since the Chubby someone would be most likely to have would be a CH2 in Best, which is only going to be about $180, or a CH2 in synthetic, which is ~$108, I think. If you've got like a CH3 in Manchurian or something, that could run you $400+, but most Chubbies are only going to be pretty expensive, not astronomically so.

Also, something I've been harping on for quite a while now: I think wetshavers should distinguish between the money they spend on shaving as a necessity vs the money they spend on shaving as a hobby. As a hobby, sure, wetshaving can be expensive, but compared to stuff like audiophile gear or fine wine, it's really not that expensive as hobbies go. And, if you ever get where you can't afford the hobby side of things, you can get a great wetshave on just a few bucks a month, since you've already got the initial expenses of razor and brush taken care of.

Last edited:
Click at your own risk. BAD enablers ahead!

You DID warn me first! I’ve never been interested in brushes but man, those are absolutely beautiful. I only have 4 brushes (a badger, boar, synthetic and travel) and the badger i have is a cheap little one that i bought when i first started out. I vowed to replace it with something nice when it finally bites the dust so whenever that is, i now know what brand i’ll be buying!

Even that wouldn't necessarily do it, since the Chubby someone would be most likely to have would be a CH2 in Best, which is only going to be about $180, or a CH2 in synthetic, which is ~$108, I think. If you've got like a CH3 in Manchurian or something, that could run you $400+, but most Chubbies are only going to be pretty expensive, not astronomically so.
Yeah, I was talking more the $300ish Simpsons. You can easily spend $300 on a Simpson Chubby 3 if you get one with a super badger knot.

Also, something I've been harping on for quite a while now: I think wetshavers should distinguish between the money they spend on shaving as a necessity vs the money they spend on shaving as a hobby. As a hobby, sure, wetshaving can be expensive, but compared to stuff like audiophile gear or fine wine, it's really not that expensive as hobbies go. And, if you ever get where you can't afford the hobby side of things, you can get a great wetshave on just a few bucks a month, since you've already got the initial expenses of razor and brush taken care of.
Very true. Wet shaving certainly isnt the most expensive hobby Ive ever had. Back in the days when I was into snowmobiling, ATVs and dirtbikes I certainly spend a lot more on my hobbies.
Id say I even spend more on golf and I dont even keep up on having the latest and greatest clubs anymore.

Top Bottom