What's new

Thoughts?

Hi all,

Preferences between aqua velva classic ice blue/musk

Brut

Or old spice

Never used old spice or musk but I love aqua velva classic ice blue the best and use brut every once in awhile.

I always get compliments on the aqua velva

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Why is it unavailable?
Old spice is a rabbit hole you probably don’t want to fall down. Basically, the original formula hasn’t been produced in decades. It was reformulated and those in the nose (see what I did there) say the current production doesn’t smell like/as good as the original formula. The Shulton stuff that was being made in India was supposedly pretty close but I don’t think it’s being made anymore either. Do a search for Old Spice here on the forum and be prepared to spend a day or two reading different opinions on how various clones and current productions compare to the “original.” Bottom line, if you like the way the current production stuff smells, wear it.

Old Spice all the way.

I don't like the smell of AV ice blue, but really like AV ice sport and use it a good bit in the summer. My wife has a reaction to Brut, so it's a huge no.

Good and cheap is the Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum and my wife really likes their Sweet Rum. The VIBR is probably my most used.

The price is right on all of them. Best to try them all. I like all 3 classics equally, but the AV Musk just does not work for me at all.

Might as well throw Skin Bracer in there for good measure. It is different enough, and is in my most-used along with AV (my favorite).

And Pinaud Clubman. Not my favorite, and is a bit costlier, but my wife likes it :)

I think the Clubman/Pinaud range is the best bet for new shavers. They are inexpensive, classic, time-tested, and include most of the range of standard scent profiles ("barbershop," citrus, wood, bay rum, etc).

The aftershaves you mention are all American classics, and I like all of them, but they are all very different. My other favorite of all of those is Skin Bracer, which you didn't list. It has a kind of powdery vanilla lavender scent. Aqua Velva musk is so inexpensive, why not get some? It is very heavy, though.

Brut is not in my rotation, and Ice Blue is a new addition to my rotation, but to my nose smells a lot like Avon Tribute which I know well, so it's a welcome scent for me. But without hesitation, the winner is Old Spice. As @Whisky stated, there are many opinions on this, but mine is that vintage Old Spice bearing the name Shulton on the bottle is the closest to a perfect aftershave as you can get. Scent, longevity, projection, burn, nostalgia; it really has it all. YMMV

1674365268741.png

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Old spice is a rabbit hole you probably don’t want to fall down. Basically, the original formula hasn’t been produced in decades. It was reformulated and those in the nose (see what I did there) say the current production doesn’t smell like/as good as the original formula. The Shulton stuff that was being made in India was supposedly pretty close but I don’t think it’s being made anymore either. Do a search for Old Spice here on the forum and be prepared to spend a day or two reading different opinions on how various clones and current productions compare to the “original.” Bottom line, if you like the way the current production stuff smells, wear it.

A large percentage of Baby Boomers owe their very existence to Shulton Old Spice. :)

OkieStubble

Brut is not in my rotation, and Ice Blue is a new addition to my rotation, but to my nose smells a lot like Avon Tribute which I know well, so it's a welcome scent for me. But without hesitation, the winner is Old Spice. As @Whisky stated, there are many opinions on this, but mine is that vintage Old Spice bearing the name Shulton on the bottle is the closest to a perfect aftershave as you can get. Scent, longevity, projection, burn, nostalgia; it really has it all. YMMV

View attachment 1592306

A man after my own heart. :)

I’m surprised I don’t see any Burley in that pic? :)

Proraso is among the least expensive aftershaves, yet it is very high quality, and has a luxurious albeit weak scent.

Sorry, I realize if everyone starts on his favourite aftershave the discussion will spiral away.

OkieStubble

Hi all,

Preferences between aqua velva classic ice blue/musk

Brut

Or old spice

Never used old spice or musk but I love aqua velva classic ice blue the best and use brut every once in awhile.

I always get compliments on the aqua velva

All of the ones you list, have the distinction of being famous, old school wet shaving drugstore Classics.

Scent is one of the strongest, most powerful, natural human indicators we have, that can remind us of glory days gone by and invoke a huge feeling of nostalgia, reminiscent of better days or simpler times and the pleasant memories of one’s past, or youth, or childhood memories of Fathers and Grandfathers who wore these exact same AS Classics.

While they can and are, still viable wonderful splashes that still work, they are even better at helping us remember the great men that came before us who used them.

Other great old time classics along with the ones you listed that are still available, are:

Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Musk

Aqua Velva Ice Sport (maybe not a classic, but hey, why not make it a set? :)

Brut
Skin Bracer
Pinaud Clubman

Old Spice ( it may not be the awesome vintage stuff by Shulton, but modern Old Spice classic is still wonderful stuff that still provides the user with the base scent that is still familiar and similar. Even though it will never invoke ‘The Greatness That Is Shulton.)

Top Bottom