What's new

thoughts/opinions on Skagen watches

I had never heard of them before and stumbled onto them while searching the internet.

I really like their thin modern, designs.

Apparently they are designed in Denmark, and assembled in China using either Swiss or Japanese movements.

They "look" very good, and have very attractive pricing ($100-$200).

But how are they generally perceived?

Are they a reasonably dependable watch?

http://www.skagen.com/en-US/products/Men/Watch/All/1.fx

I like them, and have had one worn intermittently for about 10 years now. I have seen some people knock the quality of their movements, but I don't know if this is a recent issue (the prices are pretty flat for the last 10 years, which might indicate some corner cutting), or overblown. The only complaint I have is that mine (which is super slim) is apparently very hard to change the battery for. I've had it changed twice by two different jewelers, and both said it was the hardest watch to get open they had ever dealt with.

I didn't like mine. I got it around the year 2000 for $100 at Nordstrom. The crystal wasn't of very good quality and I ended up putting a nice scratch in it. The bracelet was also of poor quality. The plating on the inside of the metal links started to rub and flake off. The links weren't attached to each other very well either and there was lots of play. The pin connecting the bracelet to the face kept popping loose. The watch now sits in pieces in a box somewhere with a dead battery.

I tried emailing Skagen several times about getting a new bracelet for it and never received a reply. I will never buy another Skagen again even if it was from a quality retailer like Costco or Nordstrom where the returns are hassle free. I think for $100-$300, you can do better with a different brand.

If you like the thin design, have you looked at Swatch? I don't know much about the their watches but they do have the thin design that you're looking for.

Skagen are definitely style over substance. It's so cheap and easy to get a quartz mvt that will perform well for a long time that a lot of people probably don't give it a second thought- they just like the look. I'd stay away from them as you can do a lot better.
As for Swatch, I've had several over the year and they have never let me down. They are overpriced and the non-serviceable mvt, while only really a technicality at this price, does annoy me slightly, just in principal. The acrylic crystal is a bonus to some and a pain to others. Be aware that if you damage your Swatch, it's done- this is a disposable item and a smashed crystal cannot be replaced, which is I think, the reason for their use of acrylic. One thing about a Swatch is you're practically guaranteed to get a style you like and no-one can accuse you of putting on airs when wearing one.
Alternatives abound of course. Just my tuppence'worth

Last edited:
I've heard Skagen's after sales service is dreadful, but they look OK and they are cheap. I would consider one for everyday usage, like if you knew you were going out on the lash and were worried about falling over or in a place of ill-repute and having your watch nicked.

They're not cheap in the UK. They start around $165 and many sell for $285 or more. As to buying a watch for one night out? I'd use my phone to tell the time!
But as an everyday, don't-give-a-damn-what-happens-to-it watch, Casio or Timex fit that bill to a T

I have a Skagen with titanium case and band, and have used it as my "dress watch" for 10 years. It needed a new battery a few years ago. No other problems. The crystal is glass (not sapphire) and it will scratch if you mistreat it.

It's thin and (being titanium) feather-weight, very comfortable to wear. Good deal for the price.

I've been looking at Citizen watches. Some of them are classic enough to suit me.

Charles

PS - my everyday watch is a Casio G-Shock "atomic time" watch -- ugly, very accurate, and indestructible.

They definitely do not seem very sturdy but they are very stylish. Durability is a direct function of usage and care: as long as you are are careful a Skagen should last for awhile but perhaps not a lifetime. I have had two with light use for years without problems. You can get some models fairly cheap at discount stores and buying clubs.

Al raz.

I bought one years ago at The Sharper Image. A nice design but cheap watch nonetheless. It worked for 2 years before it broke.

They're not cheap in the UK. They start around $165 and many sell for $285 or more. As to buying a watch for one night out? I'd use my phone to tell the time!
But as an everyday, don't-give-a-damn-what-happens-to-it watch, Casio or Timex fit that bill to a T

Mate, on a night out like those, you really don't want your phone!!

Thanks for the opinions thus far guys.

So can we resume that for occasional use, where a dress watch is more appropriate, they will do the trick. They will impress the fashion crowd but not the watch aficionados.

Thanks for the opinions thus far guys.

So can we resume that for occasional use, where a dress watch is more appropriate, they will do the trick. They will impress the fashion crowd but not the watch aficionados.

Yes, but so does a reissued Braun.
A million times better!

Yes, but so does a reissued Braun.
A million times better!
I've been looking at this BN0024 from Braun it has the sub seconds and a bit of a Max Bill look on the numerals.

Braun Men's BN0024BKBRG Classic Analog Display Japanese Quartz Brown Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K88328Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bwz-BbHGGPBSD

I've also been eyeing this Skagen that really has a very Nomos look to it but I'm a bit conflicted.

Skagen Men's 'Aaren' Quartz Stainless Steel and Leather Casual Watch, Color:Blue (Model: SKW6469) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJPJ8TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Oxz-BbC903WMQ

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I became aware of Danish watcher makers like Skagen and Bering (an off-shoot of Skagen) in the past few years. I am a fan of them because of their simple yet elegant design. No, they do not sport Sapphire crystals, but the benefit is their price point is lower than watches that do have Sapphire crystals.

Here are my two watches -

20181125_122857.jpg
20181125_122903.jpg
20181125_122914.jpg
20181125_122918.jpg

I have found the watches to be solid performers, but certainly not the kind of watches that will take a beating. I have a dress shirt-tie-sport jacket kinda job so the business aesthetic of these watches works perfectly for me.

Of the two watches you posted on above, I would definitely go with the Skagen -

Skagen Men's 'Aaren' Quartz Stainless Steel and Leather Casual Watch, Color:Blue (Model: SKW6469) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJPJ8TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Oxz-BbC903WMQ

In fact, I like it so much I might just have to treat myself to one. I like the idea of the blue watch band and I love the clean and simple appearance of the watch face.

Tim

Skagen was purchased by Fossil back in 2012. Fossil purchases the brand for the name and basically makes low end stuff to be sold at a bit of a premium with the branding. If you look at some of the Skagen watches carefully... you'll note that they raided the Fossil parts bin. Fossil also is contracted out to make watches for a bunch of brands.

That all said... The quartz movement will be basically be as good as any watch. If you like the style... go for it.

If you can extend the budget a bit... Have a look at Kronaby Hybrid watches. They start ~$350 with a Sapphire crystal. They look MUCH better IMO.

Skagen was purchased by Fossil back in 2012. Fossil purchases the brand for the name and basically makes low end stuff to be sold at a bit of a premium with the branding. If you look at some of the Skagen watches carefully... you'll note that they raided the Fossil parts bin. Fossil also is contracted out to make watches for a bunch of brands.

That all said... The quartz movement will be basically be as good as any watch. If you like the style... go for it.

If you can extend the budget a bit... Have a look at Kronaby Hybrid watches. They start ~$350 with a Sapphire crystal. They look MUCH better IMO.

I do admit, the Kronaby Nord41mm is a really nice watch, but for someone looking at an ~$100 Skagen the Nord41mm at $350 is "extending the budget" more than just a bit. Of the 10 watches I have I do have one or two in the latter price range, but very few.

Tim

Top Bottom