What's new

Thoughts on what a new to de should start with

You could ease your way in with disposables but still elevate the shave with a brush and soap. La Toja makes a soap stick in a plastic tube. Or another inexpensive soap in a smaller plastic tub. Pack the disposables, brush and soap stick and you're set. Decide if you like the ritual first - you've been on an electric for a long time. If you like the ritual, you need to figure out if you can make the logistics of DE work with your profession. Where there's a will, there's a way.

So, I understand a DE is out because you can't have blades in your carry on.

And I understand you no longer have the electric.

So you need something QUICK.

So, for me, I would avoid the Bic razors. I seem to cut my face to pieces with them.

I would suggest something like a Track 2 or a Fusion for trips and a nice DE for home, the day before you leave. Maybe a Merkur. I've had one and it's NICE.

Oh, and wet shaving isn't even a question. Try the Van see Haggen (that you can usually find at Wal Mart or your grocery store)and see how you like it.

For the road I would suggest that you consider getting a Trac II handle. The head does not pivot so the skin stretching technique is the same as with a DE.

Trac II is my travel rig TSA knows what these are so no problem. Good shave and if you look around parts and pieces can be had for decent prices.

> Is anyone else following this thread blown away by the numerous responses that have absolutely no friggin clue what the OP asked?

In my opinion, it might be best to stick with an electric on flying days if you shave just before heading to work. Nicks are common in the early days of wet shaving, and blood a white shirt's collar doesn't look so good.

My father is a long time Braun user and the other day he was telling me that when he switched to Braun , he never went back to DE and now never could.

If you're going to DE I'd suggest starting with Merkur 34C , and for blade go something smooth like a Derby or Gillette Silver Blue.

If you want Blade Razors, the Sensor Excel / Mach 3 / Fusion / Fusion Proglide power... are the way to go. I'd suggest starting at the sensor excel / mach 3 first.

For more readings:

Last edited:
A little bit about me. Long time Braun electric shaver user. Used mainly because that is how my father shaved and it was easy to travel with, (I am a pilot). Well it has been stolen at a hotel and I'm debating making the switch to a manual shave. Since I am a pilot de shaving is a no go on the road so I think I am looking at a bic metal (single blade disposal) for travel as I think the technique is similiar and I could use the same shave products as with a de. What are your recs for a new starter? Since I'm not sure I am going this route value is of concern but not so much that I risk getting a crappy razor and that turning me off to the manual shave all together. I want to keep it simple! I also usually on my off days let my beard grow so I usually have 4 days or so growth to shave and if I get a close enough shave I probably will only need to shave once or twice on the road. ( 4 day trips) I'm open to suggestions! What are your thoughts on razors, products etc? Thank you!

A Bic #1 or #2 (Sensitive) is another option for travel, and quite a bit cheaper than Bic Metal razors. The Gillette Guard is an OK shaver, but doesn't shave significantly better except on multi-day growth.

I am surprised you don't just buy another electric shaver, but one specifically for travel. The Braun M60 is a great value and if it does get stolen, it's not a big loss. They can be purchased off Amazon for $15 dollars.

If you do want to try wet shaving, I would recommend an injector. There is less of a learning curve. The Trac II is another good choice, provided you don't mind rinsing the blade often as it has a tendency to clog.

As others have said, save the wet shaving at least initially for days you won't be working, because it's very likely you will cut yourself.

For traveling and a DE if you can get to a Dollar Tree at the end of the shift go there and get a Dollar store DE razor for $1.00 + tax and they usually come with some cheap Chinese blades. Use it and throw it out then buy another on your next stop. If that is not viable then go with what worked prior but upgrade from canned goo to wet shaving cream with a brush and cup to mix it. As mentioned earlier the one to get is C.O Bigelow at Bath and Body Works since they carry it in a 3oz tube which can be stored in your carry on without any issues with the TSA. That 3oz tube usually costs $5.00 and B&BW runs sales on them for buy 2 get one half price. When I use a 3oz tube I usually get about 6 months worth of shaves.

For when not traveling I'd suggest starting with a Dollar Tree razor just to see if you want to continue DE shaving before trading up to a nicer razor. If you want to spend a little more then try the Van Der Hagen DE razor that Walmart sells for around $18 or CVS if you can find a store that stocks their DE razor they sell.

A Bic #1 or #2 (Sensitive) is another option for travel, and quite a bit cheaper than Bic Metal razors. The Gillette Guard is an OK shaver, but doesn't shave significantly better except on multi-day growth.

I am surprised you don't just buy another electric shaver, but one specifically for travel. The Braun M60 is a great value and if it does get stolen, it's not a big loss. They can be purchased off Amazon for $15 dollars.

If you do want to try wet shaving, I would recommend an injector. There is less of a learning curve. The Trac II is another good choice, provided you don't mind rinsing the blade often as it has a tendency to clog.

As others have said, save the wet shaving at least initially for days you won't be working, because it's very likely you will cut yourself.

I'll second the injector razors also since they are the most similar to single edge carts. Only issue there is there isn't much to choose from for new razors. You might be able to get an injector past security since they can't be hand loaded and need a key. I've heard of people getting them past TSA because they thought it was a one piece razor. It might worth a shot buying a vintage Schick injector and bringing it in a carry on just to see if they confiscate it or not.

I'll second the injector razors also since they are the most similar to single edge carts. Only issue there is there isn't much to choose from for new razors. You might be able to get an injector past security since they can't be hand loaded and need a key. I've heard of people getting them past TSA because they thought it was a one piece razor. It might worth a shot buying a vintage Schick injector and bringing it in a carry on just to see if they confiscate it or not.

I wouldn't try taking a Schick injector through airport security. While it's not easy to hand load them, people have ways of doing so. Even if the blade is small, very impractical as a weapon, and there's hardly anything to grip, it's best not to push people's tolerances. Especially since Shick razors are going up in value, and most beginner-friendly shavers in good condition are at least $25 dollars, if not more.

Schick injector clones are still being made in China and they perform about the same as Schick Type M and N, and the quality is comparable.

The Bic Hybrid 2 is another option to try out for wet shaves. I have used them in the past and they are OK budget shavers and cost less than a Gillette Sensor, their closest competitor. They also are easy to clean and semi-disposable.

I still think the Braun M60 or M90 is the best bet for travel in this case. It actually outperforms some of the more expensive Braun shavers (speaking from experience- I have used alot of different shavers, collecting and repairing them is a hobby of mine). Of course, it's more aggressive, but that's commensurate with the close shave it delivers, and being only a single foil, it will take somewhat longer to shave than a larger model. However, the price and cost to operate it are very low as compared to investing in wet shaving travel gear.

Last edited:
Single blade pivoting head. $2 for the razor and $3.50 for the blades at WCS. I got one for my son when he starts shaving................haven't tried it myself yet.

View attachment 1062547

+1! Great choice for a pilot! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The rest of my travel kit:
La Toja shave stick (compact and easy to lather)
Simpsons Wee Scot (or you could get a synthetic)
Small plastic bottle containing AS of choice

If I am staying in one place for awhile, I take my Lord L6. I mail blades to the hotel or purchase on site.

Here is what I decided to try. So I ended up ordering a SLOC, Blondie Boar Brush, la Toja soap, variety pack of blades, and to finish out the kit for free shipping a got some red poraso pre shave. I will get some after shave soon as well. I bought the M90 Braun for my on the road gear. I figure I will play around with DE at home and keep it simple on the road. Thanks for all the inputs everyone!

Top Bottom