What's new

Thoughts on west coast shaving silvertip?

I have this one. Here's what I said in a review I left on the West Coast Shaving site a month or so ago:

After a couple of tries with a new Simpsons Duke 3 (the first one shed, the next was too scratchy), I saw that WCS was allowing you a week to try this brush. If I didn't like it, I could return it for a full refund. I really like the looks of the new "stone collection" handles (which are actually acrylic), and the combination of low price and a one week trial made this too good to pass up.
Now that I've had the brush for a couple of weeks, I have to say that it is truly a wonderful brush. It has backbone comparable to the Duke brushes (in addition to the Duke 3 I mentioned above, I also had a Duke 2 for many years), but it has softer tips. They are not "pillow soft" like some synthetics, but provide a gentle but firm pressure for a face latherer like me. The brush is not as dense as the Duke, but it is quite dense and provides very good flow through and lather release. I don't know how it would compare to some other high end brushes, like Thater, DaVinci or Shavemac, but at this price it is a great deal.

upload_2018-1-30_13-54-54.png

I have this one. Here's what I said in a review I left on the West Coast Shaving site a month or so ago:

After a couple of tries with a new Simpsons Duke 3 (the first one shed, the next was too scratchy), I saw that WCS was allowing you a week to try this brush. If I didn't like it, I could return it for a full refund. I really like the looks of the new "stone collection" handles (which are actually acrylic), and the combination of low price and a one week trial made this too good to pass up.
Now that I've had the brush for a couple of weeks, I have to say that it is truly a wonderful brush. It has backbone comparable to the Duke brushes (in addition to the Duke 3 I mentioned above, I also had a Duke 2 for many years), but it has softer tips. They are not "pillow soft" like some synthetics, but provide a gentle but firm pressure for a face latherer like me. The brush is not as dense as the Duke, but it is quite dense and provides very good flow through and lather release. I don't know how it would compare to some other high end brushes, like Thater, DaVinci or Shavemac, but at this price it is a great deal.

View attachment 856849
That is a very fine review. Thanks for sharing.

I bought 3 brushes from them last week, to include their lantern silvertip. This is my first badger brush so I'm not well versed in anything else but it is simple and elegant. I don't see a reason I would ever need another silvertip. This retains heat, builds a lather like a champ, feels great, shed for two days, and is everything i hoped it would be.

Attachments

• 20180206_223058.jpg
    20180206_223058.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
I have one on the way in their "ancient stone" handle that I look forward to using. It's the first time I've ordered from WCS, but their brushes look really nice. Wish I would've sprang for shipping instead of using the free option though. Lesson learned. I'll post my thoughts on the brush when I get it.

I have the 24 mm and 26 mm silvertips from WCS. Great brushes, and excellent value. The 24 mm was the first that I purchased. It was a shedder. WCS replaced the brush faster than I could get the original back in the mail to them. The replacement, and my subsequently purchased 26 mm have given no issues. Buying from a vendor that backs its products is great, especially when the product is excellent and offers great value. You will enjoy using their brushes.

I would also mention Maseto brushes. I took a shot at purchasing from a vendor in China on eBay given the great reviews for the vendor and it’s brushes. A very densely packed 30 mm silvertip, ~$60 shipped, arrived within one week. Very high quality, and no issues with shedding. I am very happy with this purchase and will likely buy another. They also offer 24 and 26 mm brushes in two band and silvertip. I highly recommend them too.

19AC89B8-9BFB-41D5-8557-5126DFBC5CEE.jpeg

holds lots of water, decent backbone (3.5/5), close to simpsons best for softness, good value for ivory/black especially if you catch it when discounted 40-60% (note 20% off list is the everyday price). Had one brush that shed a lot (WCS replaced) and one that has no issues after a few months use. Seen a couple reviews along these lines so I'm guessing they get a couple duds with every batch.

IMG_1516.JPG
Mine showed up today. Very nice brush, especially for the money. I got it on sale for $47. Handle is very nice looking and the knot looks great and I like how deep they set it. I started the breakin process today. This knot does stink to high heaven though, probably more than my Stirling Badger did, so I immediately shampooed it but I think it will take several cycles to de-funk it. Overall looks like a great purchase.

View attachment 859176 This knot does stink to high heaven though, probably more than my Stirling Badger did, so I immediately shampooed it but I think it will take several cycles to de-funk it. Overall looks like a great purchase.
That's interesting. Mine had very little odor to it. I simply did one test lather (I think with Pre de Provence) and the next morning it had no noticeable smell.

mine also didn't seem to have much funk. It also smelled like they sprayed the brush with a light perfume to mask any odor? Goes away after a few lathers.

I absolutely love my brush. I grab it more often than any of the brushes I own. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy one.

Attachments

• 20180206_223058.jpg
    20180206_223058.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I got one on the way from eBay. The price was pretty fair. Like $26 for a two piece handle with a 24mm knot. I only have a few silvertips and am looking forward to getting a new one.

brush.jpg
I was going to post a review on this, but much of what I'd say is redundant to Steve's review. I picked up the attached to give my Paladin a break, as I'd used the PK47 daily for nearly two years.
The brush is terrific. A bit less backbone than the Paladin, but the upside is that it covers more ground so shortens lather time just a bit. Minimal scritch, and I've only lost one hair in the two months I've been using it.
One thing I do notice is how well this particular brush handles bowl lathering. I've tried bowl lathering countless times over the years, and just never could get as good of a lather vs. face lathering. This brush, with my high end ($2) salsa bowl from WalMart creates a lather to be envied.
For the price I don't know that you can beat these brusheds.

I purchased one after reading a lot of positive reviews and I’m very pleased with the brush.
Mine didn’t have any unpleasant scent, it actually smelled pretty nice. Haha.
Backbone is definitely not as stiff as a synthetic but splay is amazing and brush holds water and lathers very well. I’d say it loses maybe one bristle every other use.
Overall great brush and would purchase again.

View attachment 860918 I was going to post a review on this, but much of what I'd say is redundant to Steve's review. I picked up the attached to give my Paladin a break, as I'd used the PK47 daily for nearly two years.
The brush is terrific. A bit less backbone than the Paladin, but the upside is that it covers more ground so shortens lather time just a bit. Minimal scritch, and I've only lost one hair in the two months I've been using it.
One thing I do notice is how well this particular brush handles bowl lathering. I've tried bowl lathering countless times over the years, and just never could get as good of a lather vs. face lathering. This brush, with my high end ($2) salsa bowl from WalMart creates a lather to be envied.
For the price I don't know that you can beat these brusheds.

I have the same brush, a gift from my grandchildren. It is a nice brush. Don't remember any badger funk odor. Has never shed. Compared to some of my other silvertips, it has less loft (however the loft on this brush seems to be what most others prefer). I have softer silvertips, but I suppose that is also a matter of preference. Mostly I love if because of who gave it to me. Really a nice brush for its price point.

Top Bottom