What's new

Thoughts on value of Florsheim Imperial shoes

I came across a pair of Florsheim Imperial shoes in NYC whose style really caught my eye. Here is a quick phone picture of the shoe -

20181001_131203.jpg

I think the asking price was ~$195. My question is whether the quality of the shoe is worth the asking price?

Please note that I really like this style (combination of smooth and textured leather in brown), so although another brand might offer better value for the same price I would not be interested unless they had a similar style of shoe.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Tim

I like the look. In the 80's Florsheim was a premium shoe. What is the sole made of, Leather, polymer or a combination? Stitch, tack or glued in place? What type of leather is the shoe comprised of? Full Grain, Top Grain, Genuine Leather, or Bonded Leather?

The Belfast, somewhat similar, is $125 on their website

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice looking shoe, Florsheim shoes were big here in Australia years ago but you do not hear much about them anymore.

I have four pairs of early 1980's Florsheim Imperial black Wing Tips and dress slip ons. Excellent shoes. Great craftsmanship... back then. Fully lined leathers, leather soles, fit like a glove.

Florsheim used to be one of my favorite shoes back in the 80s. If it has a stitched leather sole and the heel isn’t a solid block of wood, it could be well worth it. I used to get mine re-soled once the soles wore out because the tops still looked so good. 14-16 hours a day, 5 days a week and my feet always felt good. Take a close look at them and, if they fit the bill, go for it!

I say no..... Florsheim Imperials were the absolute finest shoe in the world prior to 1970 , and still decent in the 80's...The shoe in the picture looks like it is a cheap cross grain leather, poorly dyed and sanded...The sole looks like fake leather, dyed with " layers " to simulate real leather....The stitching is fake , just heat pressed synthetic material....Probably made in India or even worse , the PRC.... Take a look at the real thing here , and you can read about what real quality shoes are as well... Classic Shoes For Men | Vintage and Collectable Shoes

I say no..... Florsheim Imperials were the absolute finest shoe in the world prior to 1970 , and still decent in the 80's...The shoe in the picture looks like it is a cheap cross grain leather, poorly dyed and sanded...The sole looks like fake leather, dyed with " layers " to simulate real leather....The stitching is fake , just heat pressed synthetic material....Probably made in India or even worse , the PRC.... Take a look at the real thing here , and you can read about what real quality shoes are as well... Classic Shoes For Men | Vintage and Collectable Shoes
+1, everything Malocchino said.
It’s a decent looking shoe, but I’d spend a little bit more $$ for a much better built shoe that will last, especially during an AE weekend sale.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
wow
one look over there and its so apparent that they dont make em like they used to!

Tortoise. Shark. Alligator. Awesome.
Good shoes last. I had a pair of Cable & Co. Shoes that I resoled 4 times and replaced the heel once. Loved them and wish I had taken better care of them. But they lasted 25 years.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yep. I have a pair from about 1984. Resoled once. Not even close today.

Now get off my lawn!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have never heard of this brand before, but looking at that photo I say: absolutely no. The leather soles are "cemented" (glued only), as there are no visible stitching rows on the welt. And the quality of the uppers looks poor, too. For $195 USD there are much better options IMHO.

OK, guess I will pass on them. I have a few pairs of Allen Edmonds, Johnston & Murphy, and Loake. Just really liked the style of the ones pictured above.

Tim

shavefan

I’m not a fan
OK, guess I will pass on them. I have a few pairs of Allen Edmonds, Johnston & Murphy, and Loake. Just really liked the style of the ones pictured above.

Tim

I'm late to the party here but you made the right choice IMO. I agree with all the "no" sentiments above. A shame, as Florsheim was decent years ago. Like so many brands they are surviving pretty much on reputation/name these days.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Sir, the brands you mentioned above are unquestionably all great. I have shoes from Shoepassion (German based but manufactured in Spain) and Grenson and they are fantastic. To that list I also want to add Velasca from Italy, which is my #1 pick among quality handmade leather shoes sold at a reasonable price-point.

Top Bottom