What's new

Thoughts on the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor

I got one on a lark shortly after I began this journey, all I would give it is an okay. It is very mild and clogs super easily due to the fact that the holes between the blade and the safety bar are too small. It left my collection shortly after it came into it. I would not recommend it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I didn't really move on, I went back to razors that are made of metal. The first razor I purchased was a Weber, and before it could get to me my Mother-in-law gave me her Father's Gillette Slim so I had razors.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Even though I consider R41 to be my first real razor, I had a short experience with Wilkinson Sword Classic several years earlier.

Already at that time I was tired of cartridge razors and I wanted something not clogging. My parents in law are from Romania, and I heard they still sell DE razors in Romania. So my parents in law got me one. It was a big disappointment, already at the first shave it clogged badly. I decided to cut away the safety bar on one side for the first pass, and like that I gave it a couple of more shaves. Then I threw it away.

Many years later an online friend introduced me to wet shaving again. This time I went all in with R41 and I consider that date as the first day of my DE journey.

I used to shave with one about 20 years ago
I got some good shaves with it, and only ever cut myself once because I was trying to rush when I was late for work one night, slipped and took an inch long sliver out of my right cheek - luckily my glasses stopped the razor from going into my eye
Unfortunately (in hindsight), 2 years later I got brainwashed by a special offer on Gillette's new revolutionary razor - the Mach 3 and switched back to using carts again

If want a inexpensive plastic razor that is reasonably clog proof consider the Gillette Guard. As the single blade is in a cartridge it is ok for carry on airline luggage. Mild and inexpensive.

I used one a few times and found it quite enjoyable. It isn't revolutionary but didn't experience anything negative as mentioned above. The metal handle (covered with plastic obviously) adds some nice heft that is missing from many other mild razors and gives a good grip. The blade loading design is fairly different from most other two-piece razors. I have one in my collection and although I have been using straight razors lately, I did keep it in rotation when I was shaving with safety razors. They aren't in high demand and are relatively inexpensive, so if you can appreciate a mild razor grab one and try it for yourself.

Can't recommend it at all! When i switched to DE shaving, this was my first razor, it came with a pack of blades and the first time i used it, was also my last. This piece of xxxx, almost killed DE shaving for me, if not for a family member who kindly gave me an old Gillette black handle Super Speed, i might have given up on DE shaving. Even for beginners, who look for a cheap way to try out DE shaving, there are better options available. Neither razor, nor blades are great. Of course thats just my opinion and if it works for you, that's fine.

Ha ha, it's good. I bought one a few years ago and hated it. I just wondered what other people's experiences have been with it.

Hmm... al lot of YMMV on here so far.
It not a bad razor per se... For the price its definitely a low end option. That the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades might not work for everybody is very understandable. While I can use them... I prefer other blades in the Classic Razor (in general the WS Classic blades work ok for me, but there are much better blades out there for me) the razor itself works good on daily stubble....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow. Not a lot of love for the Classic in this thread ...

It was my first razor, and I used it almost exclusively for 20 years. I kept dabbling with other stuff, and coming back to this. I now have four DE razors, but still use this one occasionally. It can clog easily on heavy stubble removal, and it your lather isn't slippery enough, it can give the occasional judder, but otherwise it still does a damn good job. Considering that it can be had for £6 on UK ebay, which also includes a pack of five blades and free UK postage, I think it's one of the biggest bargains in the shaving world.

I picked up a couple of them while in Germany earlier this year. They turned out to be a disappointment. I like the blades, but the razors get two thumbs down.

If you want to start with DE shaving and you really can't afford to spend more, it's an ok. But if you can go up a few bucks, better get something else.

Overall, I find it a poor shaver. It clogs, it's not too efficient, it feels like what it is, a disposable type of DE razor.

I haven't used one in almost 30 years, but I don't remember it as a bad razor. I picked up a bunch of these in 1987 or 88 for, literally, pennies. I bought them primarily for the 10-pack of made-in-England Chromium Edge blades, but gave many of them to friends and family as "stocking stuffers" for a couple of years. I took one to my brother in London in 1988, for which he responded, "Coals to Newcastle?"
This my last one:
upload_2017-11-17_10-23-9.jpeg

Tom

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-17_10-22-13.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-17_10-22-13.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 10
Back in 2013 the Wilkinson Sword Classic was my first DE razor. I didn't want to spend too much money right away before I knew what this DE shaving was all about.
Soon after I bought the Edwin Jagger DE89 "Barley" though.

Never touched the Wilkinson again.

Interesting points of view here - I have been using straight razors for the past few years and have been pretty happy with my shave but I happened to see a DE Wilkinson Classic in the supermarket the other day and thought I would give it a try as I had never used a DE before. It was a completely different shaving experience in a positive way - my facial hair is coarse and tough so I was curious to see how a DE would handle it. I did two passes - the result was a surprisingly smooth clean shave and as one of the other members pointed out - it's an inexpensive model; so overall I am pleased with the result. That said...now I have read some of the other posts about other brands, I will definitely be trying some of them out but that won't be until my current stock of blades runs out.

Cheers guys.

Ubert

This razor was my starting point. I used it for 3 weeks. It is good to learn in the first steps. After 2-3 months it is time to move to another razor. Why do I say that?

It has a light head which doesn't help a lot. But it worked great for me with a sharp blade.

PaulH on YouTube likes to bring his out from time to time and gets a good shave with it, albeit with some buffing and 'pick-ups'. I don't have one, but from what I've heard and seen, if you're technique is good, you can get a pretty good shave from it. But that pretty much sums up most razors, just some are easy to pickup and swipe away with, while others due to their narrow angle, aggressiveness, or extreme mildness need a bit more panache to obtain the desired results. - Look at the Tech, some love them, others can't get a close shave with them, it's very much a YMMV.

Top Bottom