What's new

Thoughts on the untimely death and quiet resurgence of manly rituals

Love this, very well put. However, I find it very hard to convince "outsiders" why I enjoy wet shaving. I guess I just don't have a way with words.

You are a true poet. It is a frustration of mine that we are led to believe that cramming more activities and conveniences into our day is a good thing when the true experiences of life happen not in the blink of an eye but often in a long, lingering gaze which ultimately provide us a sense of purpose and fulfilment that empty tasking can't replace. Great post. It made my morning.

I have a Remington Portable typewriter from the 1920's with a decal on it reading "to save time is to lengthen life" but as you point out, saving time is only worthwhile if you use that time enjoyably or profitably. Note which I put first...

This is it exactly. When my wife asks how long my shave will take, the answer is always; however long it takes. It's nice to have at least one aspect of the day with no clock or deadlines to meet.

Well said man. a very enjoyable read.
I've been in the Air Force for going on ten years now and I've seen just in my short time some things that have changed in the interest of convenience and time.
WE used to wear BDUs (woodland brown/green/black camo). The BDUs were a uniform that had to be starched, pressed, and maintained. you had to have certain creases and it had to look a certain way. with this uniform you wore black leather combat boots that required constant care. every Sunday evening I would take the time to care for my uniform and polish my boots to a mirror finish. It was a time of zen for me. Monday morning would roll around and first thing on the day's agenda was open-ranks. a formation where our uniforms and grooming were inspected. usually the sharpest troop was recognized as well.
nowadays we still have open-ranks every Monday morning but the Air Force has adopted a new "maintenance free" uniform called ABUs. there is no starching, no ironing, no polishing of the suede boots.
oh I miss the BDUs.
in the interest of time and convenience the Air Force has lost a great thing; the ability to spot from a distance those that cared more about time and convenience than the standard.

Well said man. a very enjoyable read.
I've been in the Air Force for going on ten years now and I've seen just in my short time some things that have changed in the interest of convenience and time.
WE used to wear BDUs (woodland brown/green/black camo). The BDUs were a uniform that had to be starched, pressed, and maintained. you had to have certain creases and it had to look a certain way. with this uniform you wore black leather combat boots that required constant care. every Sunday evening I would take the time to care for my uniform and polish my boots to a mirror finish. It was a time of zen for me. Monday morning would roll around and first thing on the day's agenda was open-ranks. a formation where our uniforms and grooming were inspected. usually the sharpest troop was recognized as well.
nowadays we still have open-ranks every Monday morning but the Air Force has adopted a new "maintenance free" uniform called ABUs. there is no starching, no ironing, no polishing of the suede boots.
oh I miss the BDUs.
in the interest of time and convenience the Air Force has lost a great thing; the ability to spot from a distance those that cared more about time and convenience than the standard.
A big "ROGER THAT!" for your post. When I go to military posts now, I'm shocked at what passes as acceptable appearance. We have the wash & wear, polyester, synthetic, visibly tattooed soldier.

No more "breaking starch." No more hand polished shoes and brass. I don't see the pride in looking like you slept in your uniform.

Best post I have ever read and in celebration I think I'll have another cup of coffee and enjoy this beautiful sunny day.

I have been preparing a lot more of my meals from scratch lately and not only is it cheap to use fresh in season ingredients it's also a lot of fun.

I still shoot my film cameras too.

..... and to make matters worse I'm going to take up Yoga ... see I'm trying but it sure is hard somedays

Very well said. Having a relaxing shave in the morning is something I wish I would have had years ago. Better late than never!

I'm glad someone brought this post back to life, I hadn't seen it till now. Great sentiment...I wholeheartedly agree!

Five years on the internet is an eternity, and it's very much to the credit of this post that it still resonates so well amongst B&B. Many thanks to the original poster, and to all those who keep bumping it into the public eye every once in a while.

... in the moment of that realization, i became once again the master of the clock instead of its servant and my little daily ritual took on an added sweetness that hadn't been there just a moment before.

i wish for everyone here a similar moment of timeless indulgence. in the day to day flow of obligation and expectation, i encourage you to find a moment to ignore the demands of the clock and take pleasure in this mutual interest we all share. gentlemen, i wish for you all a truly excellent shave.

Amazing post! Thank you

(and thanks for the BUMP Slowhand!)

I am thoroughly modern and a very impatient person. I love tech and consider my self high tech. But, a big but is only if the tech is an improvement. I consider 5 blades cartridges and new goo inferior tech. I also consider my Cobra, R41' ATT razors as high tech and the software available these is clearly high tech. So I am a high tech wet shaver using the best razors, blades, creams, soaps and brushes in the history of shaving.

Top Bottom