What's new

Thoughts on the Rockwell 6c

Just curious regarding the thoughts on the Rockwell 6c. Would like to avoid a heavy SS version.

Additionally, what plate number would most closely resemble a Gillette Tech in regards to aggressiveness?

Thanks.

I don't have a 6c. I have a 6s. But I understand the shaves are pretty much identical. IMO plate 3 is the closest to the tech.

If you are looking for a lifetime razor the 6s would be a better choice though. Just like any zamak razor once the plating is compromised the razor will eventually fail.

Last edited:
I don't have a 6c. I have a 6s. But I understand the shaves are pretty much identical. IMO plate 3 is the closest to the tech.

If you are looking for a lifetime razor the 6s would be a better choice though. Just like any zamak razor once the playing is compromised the razor will eventually fail.

Thank you. Looking at the blade gaps listed by Rockwell (didn’t see these listed prior to creating this thread), plate 3 does indeed look closest to the blade gap on my existing Techs. The weight of the 6S is what gives me pause.

I’ve been a member here long enough-I should have known a thread existed covering this razor in detail . I’ll admit it- I was just being lazy.:001_smile

Actually, your post renewed the discussion and my interest in the razor.:) Without your post, I would never have searched for more information.:)

Actually, your post renewed the discussion and my interest in the razor.:) Without your post, I would never have searched for more information.:)
Glad I could help.

I have had waivering interest in this razor for awhile now. Looking forward for it to be available again.

Glad I could help.

I have had waivering interest in this razor for awhile now. Looking forward for it to be available again.
It is indeed available! It's on the Rockwell site, and I recently got one.

Rockwell 6C Razor - White Chrome

It's 50 bucks at the site, plus 5 bucks shipping. However there's a 5 dollar discount code available, though I don't remember it.

I found the plating quality of the 6C surprisingly nice, especially considering it's made in China. I also have an EJ DE89 which is prized for plating quality, but in all honesty the 6C isn't far off if at all! I've found plate #3 seems pretty close to my DE89, with plate $4 being a slight bit more efficient than it. So this razor on plates 1 or 2 is super mild; too mild for my tastes. But if your current razor is very mild and that's what you desire, these low numbered plates may get you there.

It has good heft in the C model, too. Enough, that I doubt I'd want the S. It's size is on the mid to larger size, but it's nicely balanced. My highest complaint, and it's really the only one, is that the head is pretty big giving it a feeling of being "clunky". While it doesn't prevent me from getting a good shave in the tight spots, I still very much prefer a head that's a bit more svelte.

The shaves are pretty good though, in good comparison to a Safety Bar razor like my DE89. Due to it being a Safety Bar type though, it does not glide as well as an open comb. But in turn, it's still a reasonably smooth shaver. It also gives extremely good aural feedback! It's my loudest razor! And that's a quality I really like.

If you think you'll like the 6C's size & weight, are looking for a Safety Bar type razor, and you desire anywhere from mild to moderate aggression & efficiency levels, I would recommend it. Even if you were to find only one plate you like, and never move off it, at 50 bucks delivered I think the razor is still at a fair price for it's heft, finish, and over-all quality. The ability to vary efficiency and aggression levels, if it's something you'll use, turns it from a fair deal to a rather good one I believe.

Here's another good thread for your edification, and it's a bit more critical than the one posted earlier in this thread:

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

I still have to do a 6C review for one of my threads, so I'll link to it here if this thread remains visible at the top of this sub-forum.

Last edited:
I have a 2C, which has the 1/3 plate.

I never used the "1" side, using the "3" side it has a mild "feel" and gives a very close shave with a sharp blade.

After a week with it, I sold my Feather AS-D2, and embraced this as my daily user. My blade of choice in this razor is the Israeli Persona. Kai blades also work great, but frankly, everything in the drawer gives a great shave (Sharks, 7 O'clock, German Wilkies, Astras, Polsilver, Silver Blues)

I recommend it!

I love my 6c. It's my go to razor. I use plates 4-6 and get great shaves. Well worth the $50. It's got me wanting a 6s though, just to have a stainless razor.

I just used a 6c with the #6 plate and a Personna 74 (10)
I’m really impressed at how astonishingly smooth this razor is and what a truly comfortable shave it’s given me.
I favour aggressive razors and the #6 plate is satisfyingly efficient.
It’s not quite at the aggression level of a FaTip or R41 but it’s still formidable and just so smooth and comfortable.

Along with the Parker Variant this seems like a truly great modern DE at a really good price.
3B26A163-211E-486B-A5AC-B01F7BE7E5C3.jpeg

So I dropped down from the #6 plate to the #5 plate for last night’s shave.

My previous shave with the #6 plate had outstanding longevity and so 24 hrs later I needed something slightly milder.
The #5 didn’t feel quite as smooth but gave an absolutely brilliant result and was just right for the level of regrowth.
I wonder if for me #5 will be the perfect baseplate for daily shaving with #6 when a day has been skipped.

I have a 6C in gunmetal and love it. Normally go with plate 4 or 5 and occasionally 6 if I have gone wooly but I have used them all. Great for a mild touch up or clear cutting. I have an EJ De 89lbl and a Muhle R41 and the 6C bridges the gap between the mild and wild. Now I like the look of the stainless but I would rather have a Rockwell Model T instead...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I love the 6s. Its the best value out there. But I got the 6c too. I don't notice much difference but use the s much more. Plate 4 on both for me.

Make sure you check all the plates for flaws when you purchase a 6C.
I returned one today where the chrome had blistered across the safety bar and on another plate the safety bar was uneven due to the coating.
Retailer refunded with no problems.

Make sure you check all the plates for flaws when you purchase a 6C.
I returned one today where the chrome had blistered across the safety bar and on another plate the safety bar was uneven due to the coating.
Retailer refunded with no problems.
That’s a good heads up. Thanks!

Top Bottom