What's new

Thoughts on the new les lats?

Here is a repost of a review of my Les Lat. Mine is a lifetime keeper imo, I highly recommend them.

"So I promised an evaluation and update after I got to try this Les Lat and I honestly could not be happier. It is far and away the best Coti I have tried to date. I have tried 3 others and this is in a different weight class entirely. I touched up a PRC Stubby that I use for beard trim and neck, during beard season. It had a couple of micro chips that needed to go and was tugging a bit.
On the Coti side did a full Dilucot to pull out a few chips, had to run thought this with a heavy slurry at first and worked down to clean water and then again with a light slurry. So it has good speed and cutting power. The feel is velvety, reminds me almost of a JNAT, did not self slurry but does not feel overly hard.
On the Les Lat side, started with a misty slurry that had to work for. working down to clean water. Stropped and then back to clean water. Feeling is glassy to start and then gets very grippy towards finish. Finished under running water. HHT+4 maybe a 5 at the heel, the hairs are just falling off of it. So this is in the never to be sold category of stone. Was so worried it was going to be a pretty dud, so glad I am wrong."
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

I have been very pleased with this one. It is very fast and easy to use. Leaves a great feeling edge too. I have an older one from the mine too and they seem very similar. This one having some coti still on the hybrid side adds a bit more fun and creamy feel to the hybrid though.
LLcoti.jpeg
LLcotiside.jpeg
LLhybridcoti.jpeg

Checked the mail as I was leaving to be out of town and the stone came in. Won't be able to test it out until Sunday 😔. Don't think It will be as fine as my other coticule but i shall see after testing. Regardless it is a cool 6x2 stone to have
20210416_163858.jpg
20210416_163853.jpg
20210416_163831.jpg20210416_163650.jpg20210416_163641.jpg20210416_163633.jpg

Checked the mail as I was leaving to be out of town and the stone came in. Won't be able to test it out until Sunday 😔. Don't think It will be as fine as my other coticule but i shall see after testing. Regardless it is a cool 6x2 stone to have View attachment 1252474View attachment 1252475View attachment 1252476View attachment 1252477View attachment 1252478View attachment 1252479
Looks like a cool stone. Why do you think it is not as fine as your other stone? Are these stones tested on razors before he sells them?

I don't believe he does any test on the stones before selling them. I think it will definitely be a good stone, I just think my current one is finer haha. I really wanted to test out the hybrid side of a coticule and if anything I can make my fine coticule (5x2) an oil only stone and use this one to progress to it.

Hoping the hybrid side blows me away but I shall see!

I don't believe he does any test on the stones before selling them. I think it will definitely be a good stone, I just think my current one is finer haha. I really wanted to test out the hybrid side of a coticule and if anything I can make my fine coticule (5x2) an oil only stone and use this one to progress to it.

Hoping the hybrid side blows me away but I shall see!
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

I have three modern coticules; one La Vienette on slate, and two Les Lateneuses (bout 7 and 10). The LV gives a sharper edge (under running water) than the yellow side of either LL. But the hybrid side of the LL (under running water) produces an edge that is significantly sharper than the LV. Both the LV and hybrid LL edges are extremely smooth.

Now I want a les lat!

Yes, I should hope you do.

Basil mine was not tested until I got my hands on it. It is now easily one of the top two stones in my collection. It sits ever so slightly behind a rather amazing JNAT now. The coticule side is fast and fine and the hybrid side helps bring up the keeness. Both sharp and comfortable. Truly a one stone hone experience, and that was what I was looking for. For the record I did my testing after bevel setting on a 1k synth. The Synthetic side is a bit hard to describe, it is one of those type of stones you just need to experience.

Tested the yellow part in a shave today and it was was decent shave (better than the average coticule but not anything crazy). I enjoyed the feedback and it seems to be pretty fast but I have not tested it a bunch.

The hybrid side took awhile to lap. Decently hard and it was not incredibly flat. I rubbed a slurry stone on it to smooth it out then put a razor on it. It appears to cut arm hair nicely like my 5x2 stone but I will give it a shave tomorrow for the true test. I did enjoy the feedback of the hybrid side though. I thought it would have felt bumpy if that makes since but it was nice and smooth.

Curious if anyone who has the les lat has used oil to finish with it.

Tested the yellow part in a shave today and it was was decent shave (better than the average coticule but not anything crazy). I enjoyed the feedback and it seems to be pretty fast but I have not tested it a bunch.

The hybrid side took awhile to lap. Decently hard and it was not incredibly flat. I rubbed a slurry stone on it to smooth it out then put a razor on it. It appears to cut arm hair nicely like my 5x2 stone but I will give it a shave tomorrow for the true test. I did enjoy the feedback of the hybrid side though. I thought it would have felt bumpy if that makes since but it was nice and smooth.

Curious if anyone who has the les lat has used oil to finish with it.

I’ve used oil andsoap to finish on the yellow side of my cotis before. I don’t have a LL but I’m sure it would be similar.
Oil was a bit of a mess though and didn’t add much more than soap, so now I’ll just add a drop or two of dish soap when I want to get the absolute most out of a coti.

I like to use the Norton honing oil on my other stone. With this stone being double sided and one side definitly going to be water/progression side I will probably use some dishsoap. I might make a video sometime this week with the stone, very fun to use.

Top Bottom