What's new

thoughts on the Bodum burr grinder?

well reviewed on amazon, right price point....any thoughts from the B&B crowd? or any suggestions for a different grinder in the $100 range?

proxy.php

I had the Bodum for a few years and it was OK. I switched to a Baratza Encore and it is much better for french press. The course grind is more consistent with less fines.

Marty

Thank you. Interesting that the company known for their french presses don't make a grinder that is most compatible with that type of brewing. I've got an Espro insulated that has a very fine mesh filter, get a tiny bit of grit but nothing like with a Bodum or generic press.

I have the Encore as well and really like it. I did a ton of research and asked several friends and ended up with the unit. It isn't perfect but darn close!

I do not have any first hand experience with it, but I expect it works well enough for weekend french press making. Moka pot might be more of a challenge, in that it may constrain how you approach the brewing since there may not be enough adjustability in the finer end of the grind range.

That said I think the basic user interface looks good. Easy to change the grind setting and do time based grinding. So going from French press to Drip to Aeropress would be simple.

I bought a refurbished Baratza Encore three years ago and am happy with it, they have one on their website now for $99.00

I've always bought Barstza grinders and at present have 4 of them in various locations.

Other than Baratza brew grinders and Mazzer espresso grinders, my knowledge is limited.

Old pic of some Baratza grinders I no longer own.

proxy.php

I know I'm late to the party but I only drink French Press using one of those Bodum Bistro french presses from the 90's. I bought a Baratza Virtuoso specifically because I read that it excelled at a consistent course grind with less fines. And I don't see many in my cup after 2 6-oz. cups. But I do like a little bit of mouth feel so I've been playing with the setting and have been going a little finer one notch at a time. Currently at 30.

At some point when I can afford it I want to buy a semi-automatic expresso machine (thinking Lelit) and would buy a separate grinder for that, likely the Baratza Vario.

Been a week now and I'm keeping it.

Wiped everything down with a damp rag and the assembly was easy and quick enough (ha! "assembly"....snapping on the hopper was the only thing required). It didn't have that normal Chinesium off-gassing smell. Ran a 1/4 lb of sacrificial beans through, took it apart as directed for a cleaning. Simple enough just pop out the top part of the grinder. Put it back together and this time loaded it with the drinkin' beans, NM Pinon nut regular blend (fond memories of this coffee and was pleased to find it again).

Having it set to the second most coarse setting seems to work the best. For the first six brews I had looked at the ground coffee prior to brewing and its very consistent with very little by way of fine dust. I like the push button control for the timer, the hopper is of a decent size that I don't have to refill it every day but appreciate that might not be a positive for a true coffee aficionado.

The only negative, and something that doesn't give with the Bodum marketing fluff, is that its loud. No more or less than any other grinder but they describe it as being quite to the competition.

Nonetheless I like it, looks good and it produces the grounds for a tasty cup of coffee.

Top Bottom