What's new

Thoughts on the Alexander Simpson Trafalgar T3

The T2 used to occupy my short lofted synthetic slot. It's a fine brush for face lathering that served me well and although it's been retired since acquiring a G5A I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. In fact I liked the T2 better than the chubby synthetic. No contest.

I have a T1 and T3. They lather ok but not as well as a half decent badger. A bit disappointing for me.

The colour of the tips reminds me of chicken poop…a horrible pale blue/grey colour.

Hi all. I'm just wondering if someone can confirm the knot diameter of the Trafalgar T3 ? The Simpsons website says 26mm, but one of my local resellers is quite adamant that it is 32mm.

Thank you.

Hi all. I'm just wondering if someone can confirm the knot diameter of the Trafalgar T3 ? The Simpsons website says 26mm, but one of my local resellers is quite adamant that it is 32mm.

Thank you.
It is 26MM.

I really enjoy my brush, and I personally would recommend one, especially for the price. Some people hate em though. It all boils down to personal preference

Read the very last review of the T3 on Maggard’s website. Brad says if you take a caliper to the knot base it measures closer to 29mm. That is real world measurement regardless of the manufacturer stating 26mm.

Read the very last review of the T3 on Maggard’s website. Brad says if you take a caliper to the knot base it measures closer to 29mm. That is real world measurement regardless of the manufacturer stating 26mm.

That would be if the knot is glued completely flush with the surface. The base of the knot could be 26mm but if it is set deeper it could measure 29 as it fans out.

I've used the T3 for couple weeks and I'm not a big fan of it. I enjoy a brush that has less backbone and scrub. I've gotten brush burn with it so it's more of a painter for me. My preference is the fan synthetics from TurnNShave which are different from T3.

I think the Trafalgars are the best bang for the buck out there. And they look so classy compared to other cheap brushes. I like the size of the T2 a little better. I sport a goatee and I need a bit more precision for everything not to get messy :)

Thanks to all respondents. Much appreciated.

That would be if the knot is glued completely flush with the surface. The base of the knot could be 26mm but if it is set deeper it could measure 29 as it fans out.

Thanks for that reply Jbird45. That may explain the different specs. I always thought the knot diameter was simply the knot size at the handle ? It makes the knot diameter measure a little rubbery IMO, and also the knot height measure - if you have the hair set deep in the handle, and you obviously can't see it, how do you know where to start your measuring ? You have no option but to follow the manufacturers specs.

Thanks for that reply Jbird45. That may explain the different specs. I always thought the knot diameter was simply the knot size at the handle ? It makes the knot diameter measure a little rubbery IMO, and also the knot height measure - if you have the hair set deep in the handle, and you obviously can't see it, how do you know where to start your measuring ? You have no option but to follow the manufacturers specs.

I'm not a brush manufacturer, but from watching videos it seems like some brushes can be glued a little deeper than flush. I don't know if this is done because the hairs are much stiffer closer to knot, or so there isn't as much of a glue bump, or whatever. Please don't take my observations as law, I was just simply saying that may be the cause in variation

What I DO know, is that I have a brush advertised as 22mm and I hate it. It's too small. I made that my travel brush. On the other hand, my T3 is advertised as 26mm, and I'm not sure I would want to go bigger. Most of my brushes are 24mm and that is about perfect for me.

Depending on if you use a bowl or face lather, paint or splay, size of your face and hands, etc, you may find you need a bigger or smaller brush to suit your needs. There is no one size fits all in this game.

Marco, I would be interested to hear your thoughts comparing the Trafalgar and the chubby synthetic when your brush arrives, if you would be so kind.

Enjoy your new brush!!!
@Marco

Hope all is well! Have you received your chubby synthetic yet? Would you be willing to share your thoughts between the two?

Thanks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Only two shaves in with the Chubby 2 Synthetic, but yes it arrived and got tested. Well, as expected, the Chubby 2 is denser than the T3 and seems to splay less. Also, it holds more water. That said, both brushes have extra soft tips and truly beautiful handles. Both brushes are capable of producing a superb lather with any soap, no matter if hard or soft. Both brushes are worth owning, IMHO.

Only two shaves in with the Chubby 2 Synthetic, but yes it arrived and got tested. Well, as expected, the Chubby 2 is denser than the T3 and seems to splay less. Also, it holds more water. That said, both brushes have extra soft tips and truly beautiful handles. Both brushes are capable of producing a superb lather with any soap, no matter if hard or soft. Both brushes are worth owning, IMHO.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing! I may have to add a true chubby to the collection.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My T2 is excellent. A T3 would have been too large for me, and in hindsight, I might have been even happier with a T1. That said, it's a very dependable brush, that gives me a great lather, and along with the other three brushes in my home array (I have one more for travel), are enough to not make we want for anything else.

For the record, the other three are a Kent INF1, 22mm Maggards synthetic, and a DS Cosmetic badger. I need nothing more than what those four give me.

Top Bottom