What's new

Thoughts on swapping from naniwa to shapton glass

Thought I would ask for opinions as I am thinking about changing up my synthetic progression. Currently I have a chosera 1k (keeping it as I love the green brick), naniwa ss 5k/8k/12k (the thick versions).

Normally I just go to the 5k and then swap to naturals (jnat or coticule). Sometimes I might use the 8k (hardly ever use the 12k though tbh).

I like the naniwas and my only gripe with them is I have to basically clean it with my DMT plate after every use. (The naniwa 5k probably my most used synthetic and tired of dealing with it loading up haha)

I might grab that goku 20k stone I believe is the name. Could see myself keeping the ss12k as a stepping stone before that.

With the 1k chosera and natural finishers was thinking about just the 4k and 8k shapton glass. I have tried the other shapton 8k Waterston or whatever but was meh for me.

Thoughts and opinions?

@Christian1212
Looks like you are on the same trajectory that I took.
I went from ss to shapton to chosera.
I've eventually settled on 1k chosera -> 3k chosera -> gokumyo 20k
If you go that route, there's very little guess work. It comes out the same no matter what goes in.
You can shave as is, or add in any flavor of the month by finishing on your naturals.

p.s. I prefer chosera over shapton glass because you can use both sides. The 1k and 3k are incredible stones for sharpening kitchen knives, EDC, axes, etc. With shapton, if you use it to sharpen anything other than razor, you need to lap it and that really sucks big time.

I like the naniwas and my only gripe with them is I have to basically clean it with my DMT plate after every use. (The naniwa 5k probably my most used synthetic and tired of dealing with it loading up haha)

Changing brands here probably isn’t going to deliver any appreciable difference on this if that is what compels you to make a change. Adding a 3k may put less work and loading on your 5k but cleaning/flattening go with the territory and not much escaping that.

Yea I know the 3k naniwa makes a good stone but the fewer stones the better for me.

I do like to sharpen my knife but I usually just use 1k synthetic then a jnat so no worries there.

Might watch some videos on the stone and or try one out. Still undecided for now

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m currently doing Shapton 2k HR (bevel setter) -> Shapton Glass 6k HC -> Jnat. If your finisher is slower, eg, Ark, Thuri you might need the 8k stone, or if you’re going to the G20k. But 6k HC to Jnat works without fault for me.

I have a set of Shapton Glass HR's and Naniwa Professional 1K,3K and the Nani SS 12K
If you are keeping your 1K the 4>8 Shapton HR will work well for your 1-4-8-12 progression or as a jumping off after the 8K HR to many other finishers.
The HR's are fast & load slower than the Nani SS, I think you would be getting some extra speed and a different honing feel- less loading w/the Shaptons.

I’m new and following a recommendation from a well know professional, I purchased Shapton Glass 2k and Shapton 6k HC, amazing

This stones are newer type technology and and simply amazing, I killed an edge brought it back on 2k, then 6k glass and wow,
After glass straight to Jnat or 8k to 12k to Jnat
Love these Shaptons Glass stones
One of my best purchases

proxy.php

Hmm if I am to get rid of the 5k and the 8k naniwa with possible plans of getting a gok 20k (keeping the ol 12k naniwa).

Should I go just the 6k hc since I have 1k chosera? 2k and 6k hc? Or 4k and 8k hr?

Oh decisions 😔

I feel like normally I will just go 6k for touch ups then the jnat or coticule (what I normally do with the 5k it just loads up so fast. I might get that gok 20k though, would going 6k jnat then gok 20 work?

Steve56

You can go from the Shapton Glass 8k HC to the G20k without problems. The HC series are in a class by themselves as pre-finishers, and the 8k HC will give a better shave than almost any other 8k (I haven’t tried them all, lol).

Steve56

@Christian1212 I don’t know what you want to end up with exactly, but if my end stone was G20k, I’d probably do the 2k HR, the 4k HR (this stone is excellent for light bevel work on full hollows because of its speed), and the 8k HC.

If your natural finisher is Jnat or a hard fine coti, you likely won’t need the 8k HC, the 6k HC works just as well.

Even if your main progression is 2k HR -> 6k HC -> Jnat, the 4k HR is nice to have. I use it as much as the 2k HR, it is a luxury and not a necessity, but still a very nice and useful stone to have in the ‘toolbox’.

BTW, I’ve also tried the 3k HR -> 8k HC progression - Shapton Glass are designed for 3x increments, but if your finisher is fast (Jnat), these two do not add anything over the 2k HR - >6k HC progression and it is a slower progression.

Thanks @Steve56 for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. The 20k edge is definitely one I enjoy occasionally (a friend's edge) but my go to is usually my jnat or coticule.

I think I will try out the 6k hc to replace the 5k and see what I think of the shapton glass stones. Depending on how I feel I might add the 2k and 4k. If I ever do pull the trigger on the gok 20k I'll worry about that higher level synth Stone then.

There is a choice to be made with the Shapton Glass, and that is HR versus HC.

HR is high rockwell. designed for the very hard modern alloys that show up in modern cutlery. It is a very fast cutter. It looks white.

HC is high carbon. designed for more pure carbon steel. It looks grey. It still is somewhat fast, but is more gentle and not as fast as the HR.

It may be that HR is a bit aggressive to finish off a soft carbon straight razor.

My theory, and what I did recently, was get 4k HR for fast cutting at the low end and then the 8k HC as that seemed more suitable to the carbon razors we have. (I also got a 1k HR for bevel setting)

@Steve56 also went with the 8k HC for razors, as you can see above.

So far I'm happy with it.

You'll find that you need to lap them much less often. No idea why that is.

These are great stones just make sure to check your work often. They cut fast which has it’s pros and cons. It’s easy to overdo it if you’re not careful but it can be quick work.

1000 HR > 3000 HR > 8000 HC > Natural

Works great for me.

Last edited:
Went ahead and got the 2k and 6k. Figured with the 2k I don't have to lap the 1k as often (use it for knife sharpening as well). Will update with my thoughts when they arrive

I think the 2k and 6k is wise

Very affordable and from what I have been reading, the 2k, especially if it is the HR, will do fine for bevel setting..

And from the 6k you can go straight to your naturals.

You know, ten years ago, it seemed everyone was struggling to use their naturals for the whole progression. Trying to make their slurries go from coarse to fine, and using cotis and jnats to bevel set and work all the way up.

Synths have become so good, that that's gone now. For me, anyway, I only use naturals for overwriting a comfortable finish, and for keeping it that way.

Steve56

The problem with ‘1-stone honing’ on a jnat is only a few can do that. The stone has to be blazing fast and super fine, and those stones are not all that common.

Anyway, the 2k HR and 6k HC then Jnat finisher are faster.

Top Bottom