What's new

Thoughts on SV beta 4.3 VS 4.0

I posted this on another SV thread but I feel it warrants its own discussion...

I'm really not a fan of the beta 4.3 lather. To me, the lather feels synthetic, kind of a thicker version of what is generated from a syndet bar (I.e. Dove bar type lather).

I sold all my SV soaps due to this reason, except two pucks of Dolomiti in Beta 4.0.
The 4.0 lather feels like real soap lather rather than "syndet" lather feel, although it still contains the syndet ingredient "SCI".
But I presume it's a lot less than beta 4.3.

I'm very happy to have these two pucks knowing I'll likely never have them again.
One is the normal 4.0 and the other is the LE dark black puck.

I know there's tons of SV fans so I expect to see that bias here but I'm very keen to hear if anyone else also prefers 4.0, or dislikes 4.3.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I understand what you’re describing as I have both versions too. Actually, I prefer the 4.3 because it’s noticeably slicker - I‘m a SR user and slickness is king.

A couple of similar examples, tallow Tabac vs the new Tabac, vintage ABC hard soap bs new ABC hard soap. In both cases, the old soaps made a more ‘unctuous’ lather as the French would maybe say, as opposed to a slicker lather of the new versions. I’m not a Tabac fan because of the scent intensity, but I do prefer the old ABC hard soap. The old ABC hard soap seemed to be the same formula as the ABC cream, so that experience is still available albeit at a higher price.

Reactions: nav
I understand what you’re describing as I have both versions too. Actually, I prefer the 4.3 because it’s noticeably slicker - I‘m a SR user and slickness is king.

A couple of similar examples, tallow Tabac vs the new Tabac, vintage ABC hard soap bs new ABC hard soap. In both cases, the old soaps made a more ‘unctuous’ lather as the French would maybe say, as opposed to a slicker lather of the new versions. I’m not a Tabac fan because of the scent intensity, but I do prefer the old ABC hard soap. The old ABC hard soap seemed to be the same formula as the ABC cream, so that experience is still available albeit at a higher price.

Agreed, the 4.3 is slicker. But it's a strange type of slick which is a feeling I didn't enjoy.
It's just like the strange feel I get from dove bar, where it kind of leaves a strand film on the skin.

I never got to try the old ABC but at current prices, I probably won't bother with it.

I was lucky enough to puck up a few Speick tallow sticks before reformulation.

I never noticed a difference.

Fwiw, the tundra artica 4.1 is probably my favorite sv soap.

The 4.0 and 4.1 are similar.
4.0 to 4.3 feel like different soaps to me.

Top Bottom