What's new

Thoughts on Side-Zippered Boots

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Might be a personal pick, but, I'd not do that. Yes, they look like Beatle boots, but then I don't wear that hairstyle anymore. With today's toothpick pants the shoes show, and well, those I'd rather have hidden. Of course I'd no pair of the high water pants

You asked ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Beatle Boots not always a good idea ...

proxy.php

But good in the mud.

I went ahead and ordered them. I think I figured out my internal subliminal thinking about why they appealed to me, and I think they will work for that. Basically, I am in an environment where folks sometimes wear boots with a suit, and I do not want to go the cowboy boot route. That would seem potentially phony for me as it is not really in my background. I did not want some eastern riding boot or say a Jodhpur, because I did not to look too effete, and I am not pretending I actually ride. And I did not want a work boot, because I did not want to seem like I was pretending I was actually doing any manual work in them.

I think this will pass the test of being simple enough, but still will work as boots with a suit. But who knows, they could come across as too mannered or something. The elastic on Chelsea boots does say casual to me, anyway. YMMV.

In any event, I just seem to have been wanting a pair of boots and like that these have simple lines! Thanks to everyone for helping me think through it.

I went ahead and ordered them. I think I figured out my internal subliminal thinking about why they appealed to me, and I think they will work for that. Basically, I am in an environment where folks sometimes wear boots with a suit, and I do not want to go the cowboy boot route. That would seem potentially phony for me as it is not really in my background. I did not want some eastern riding boot or say a Jodhpur, because I did not to look too effete, and I am not pretending I actually ride. And I did not want a work boot, because I did not want to seem like I was pretending I was actually doing any manual work in them.

I think this will pass the test of being simple enough, but still will work as boots with a suit. But who knows, they could come across as too mannered or something. The elastic on Chelsea boots does say casual to me, anyway. YMMV.

In any event, I just seem to have been wanting a pair of boots and like that these have simple lines! Thanks to everyone for helping me think through it.

What size did you order. Their website contradicts. Says true to size per Brannock device but also says to order 1/2 size down from Nike/Adidas/Athletic shoes. I've found 1/2 size down from Brannock to be a better fit for Beckett Simonon.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have both kinds, but I find myself favoring the side-zip versions. Much easier to slip on and off--simple as that.

What size did you order. Their website contradicts. Says true to size per Brannock device but also says to order 1/2 size down from Nike/Adidas/Athletic shoes. I've found 1/2 size down from Brannock to be a better fit for Beckett Simonon.

I wear a 10 D in an AE Park Avenue. I do not know what a Brannock device would say. I got a 10 from BS in their wholecuts. I forget what they call that model, and they were an excellent fit. I got a the Reid sneakers--the Common Projects knock-offs--in a 10, but I wish I had gone with a 10.5. I like BS a lot and they are very responsive in emails, but in specific emails back and forth their rep claimed the Reids and the wholecuts were the same last, which cannot possibly be true, even if the fit were closer, which it isn't.

<Nike/Adidas/Athletic shoes>

Don't get me started on Japanese and European athletic shoe fits. (Although Puma seems okay.) I would never buy those brands on-line. I find no rhyme or reason as to the size those shoes are labeled as to what fits me. Although I am not sure Addidas make a shoe that fit me well. I wish they did. I ordered a pair of the Morgen sneakers, which are German Training Shoe knock-offs, in 10.5, although the toe box may not be as narrowed and flat as the Reids.

I'm not a fan of zippered or the Chelsea style boot. For whatever reason in my mind, they aren't a "real" boot. They're like a cheat or a wannabe boot. I'd buy a lace up chukka or an 8-eye boot instead.

Last edited:
Side zippered boots were popular and a fad in the early to mid sixties here in the U.S. In Britain and France, EU, more popular, probably even to today. Me personally, I had a pair when I was twelve and wouldn't be caught dead in them now. I wear Luccheses and Wescos. YMMV. Enjoy!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't get me started on Japanese and European athletic shoe fits. (Although Puma seems okay.) I would never buy those brands on-line. I find no rhyme or reason as to the size those shoes are labeled as to what fits me.

Fortunately, athletic shoes seem to be the one sort of shoe that is almost always well stocked in the local B&Ms. I am a ten-hour drive away from being able to try on any good quality dress shoe, but ten minutes from a wall of running shoes to try on.

Fortunately, athletic shoes seem to be the one sort of shoe that is almost always well stocked in the local B&Ms. I am a ten-hour drive away from being able to try on any good quality dress shoe, but ten minutes from a wall of running shoes to try on.

I thought you were in Vancouver! If you are, I saddened to here the above! My image is shattered!

And that is a ten hour drive or more? So sorry to be so ignorant of Canada and of you, My Good and Old Friend. Both of my wife's parents were born in Canada. Her father was born in Vancouver and I think they went on to live elsewhere in BC. I should really know better. May bad.

Side zippered boots were popular and a fad in the early to mid sixties here in the U.S. In Britain and France, EU, more popular, probably even to today. Me personally, I had a pair when I was twelve and wouldn't be caught dead in them now. I wear Luccheses and Wescos. YMMV. Enjoy!

In "rebuttal" to your "would not be caught dead in them . . . ," I am restraining myself from saying I had a pair of cowboy boots when I was six, and a six shooter, but that I am over than now! <g>

But the fact of the matter is I own "cowboy boots," but certainly nothing as nice as Luccheses--props to you for those!!--and I completely get the appeal. Just not what I am looking for in this particular instance.

I get Wescos, too, but we are not exactly talking riding bikes or lumbering either! <g> I am thinking I do not need that kind of durability!

I ordered a pair of the Morgen sneakers, which are German Training Shoe knock-offs, in 10.5, although the toe box may not be as narrowed and flat as the Reids.

Okay, as to sizes, I got to try on a pair of the Morgen GTS "sneakers" in 10.5. Seems to me a perfecf fit. Like I said earlier, I wear a 10 D in AE Park Avenues. No telling what size I would wear in any given European or Asian athletic shoes. I think I wear a size 10 Chuck Taylor or Jack Purcel. My usual dress shoe size in BS seems to be a 10. For what it is worth.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am famously cheap, and have always wanted to get some nice zip on boots. I recently inherited a pair, no kidding. Love em.

Top Bottom