What's new

Thoughts on Side-Zippered Boots

proxy.php

What do folks think of these Beckett-Simonon side-zippered boots? I am drawn to these for some reason. It may be a 1960s thing. I cannot make up my mind whether these would good with a modern suit and/or blazer and gray slacks, which is pretty much what I would have in mind for them, not that I need any more dress shoes.

Or maybe they would work with jeans, too. I am not sure which color to get if I was going to try for that amount of flexibility.

Anyway, I am trying to make up my mind as to whether these are something I would actually want to wear or are just a passing fancy and not very practical. I welcome all thoughts. (Maybe I should be buying a pair of Chelsea boots instead. I am not sure I love te idea of zippers!)

I like side zip boots.

I find the elastic gore of a Chelsea tacky unless it's well hidden. It also looks much more casual.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else who has any thoughts, keep them coming.

All comes down to personal choice.

Sometimes I am sure of my own personal choices, and sometimes I am not! I have bought items in the past that I did not end up wearing very often!

less fuss.

Interesting word, "fuss." Maybe that is what is giving me pause.

I do not find myself wearing any other shoes with zippers down the side. Zippers seem, perhaps, young? Informal? Unsophisticated? I do not think of an excellent Italian shoemaker installing a zipper just right!

Interesting word, "fuss." Maybe that is what is giving me pause.

I do not find myself wearing any other shoes with zippers down the side. Zippers seem, perhaps, young? Informal? Unsophisticated? I do not think of an excellent Italian shoemaker installing a zipper just right!

I feel like if I am going to fuss over a zipper than I might as well go with laces. Doesn't take me that much longer.
The Chelsea is a no fuss, throw on and go boot.

The zipper is almost as quick as a slip-on but it can be pretty well hidden and allows for a more svelte profile in the ankle.

I prefer laces overall, but have worn side zip and liked them a close second. They give a clean look.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
For some reason I can't fathom, I detest zippered boots. Just a little tick of mine.

They look like nice clean lines. As long as the zip doesn’t jam at an in-opportune moment (security line an an EU airport where they make you take shoes off between connections sometimes). I understand that it is NOT usually possible to replace the elastic in a Chelsea boot. Probably possible to replace a zip easier.

They emphasize that they have YKK brand zippers, so I suspect they understand that folks might think zippers would be a weak spot.

They look like nice clean lines. As long as the zip doesn’t jam at an in-opportune moment (security line an an EU airport where they make you take shoes off between connections sometimes). I understand that it is NOT usually possible to replace the elastic in a Chelsea boot. Probably possible to replace a zip easier.

Yes, zippers can be replaced even by mediocre shoe repair shops.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, the zipper will be a source of weakness in the design, so maybe not a good design feature for workboots or hiking boots and such ... but as a dressy-casual boot, I don't see enough stress coming to the boot to make this a problem.

And IMHO this look will be more "dressy casual" than the more "casual casual" Chelsea. I know there is a high-end Australian boot maker that does a Chelsea boot that is actually very good looking, but ... that's the exception to the rule.

If it's a decent zipper, there's not much to worry about. I have a pair of highly abused Double-H jump boots with a side zip. They're 16 years old now. The sole is cracking and the leather has about had it but the zipper still works great. Granted, it's a really beefy brass YKK zipper. Heavier than you'd find on a typical dress boot.

I'm just not a fan of elastic on a dress boot. Super tacky. A casual boot, sure.

I wear them very often , sometimes with a regular pair of dress pants with a collared shirt , with a suit , or even when I wear a tuxedo , I have 5 or 6 pairs of them , I have worn side zipper boots since high school ,

Top Bottom