What's new

Thoughts on Side-Zippered Boots

Bhugo

Contributor
I enjoy chelsea boots for more casual days but have had a pair of AE’s elastic wear out amazingly fast. I documented it on here. AE won’t fix it at any price and the cobbler I found wanted $100 dollars to do the replacement with no guarantee of the results. I have a pair of older chelsea boots that are quite old that still look beautiful but are very casual. I also like chukkas and have been considering side zips for a less casual boot like @Doc4 mentioned. I am interested in this thread as well!

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
I really hate to hear that about AEs.

I am glad to have interest in the thread.

The side-zip boots I ordered are due in from BS in December!

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
Okay, as to sizes, I got to try on a pair of the Morgen GTS "sneakers" in 10.5. Seems to me a perfecf fit. Like I said earlier, I wear a 10 D in AE Park Avenues. No telling what size I would wear in any given European or Asian athletic shoes. I think I wear a size 10 Chuck Taylor or Jack Purcel. My usual dress shoe size in BS seems to be a 10. For what it is worth.
"GTS" should have been "GAT," I think. "German Army Trainer." Also "Purcel" has two l's--"Purcell."

BTW, Jack Purcell was a Canadian world champion badminton player. Declared world champ in 1933 and undefeated through his retirement in 1945. I would have thought he was a clay court tennis player. Apparently Jack Purcell's were the required footwear for clay and grass court tennis players for more than a decade. First made for BF Goodrich and sold as "PF Flyers"--I assume a type of "PF Flyer"--until taken over by Converse.

Last edited:

Doc4

Moderator Emeritus
I am glad to have interest in the thread.

The side-zip boots I ordered are due in from BS in December!
Oddly, this morning I remembered this thread when I was reaching for the shoes I was going to wear today, and then changed my mind and decided to wear my zipper boots instead. I haven't worn them in ages, but today's the day.

Not five minutes later, I am sitting down and surfing B&B, and see that this thread has been bumped.

Great minds think alike?

(Fools seldom differ??)

I wore them for quite a few years as a very young man. Florsheim. They were fine boots and pretty dressy. I would not wear boots now if dressy were a requirement, but they certainly don't offend me.

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
Great minds think alike?
I had not heard "fools seldom differ" before but it is funny. I usually say, "Great minds think alike, . . . and we do, too!"

December is going to be a long time coming! I am sure Beckett Simonon will have something interesting in the meantime, perhaps more interesting that I will have wished I had ordered instead of these side zip boots.

I think I am glad that I did not order the Jodphurs they offered for a while and/or the smooth leather Chelsea boots when they had them. They still have suede Chelsea boots.

I still have not figured out an occasion for which I could wear real Beatle boots. A 1960s themed party, I suppose, but it would have to be an early 60s themed party. Perhaps a Austin Powers themed party or Halloween suit!

Last edited:
Don’t like them. In my IME the zipper will become unstitched from the boot. It’s happened to me with every pair I have ever owned, though I have never owned those that you are interested in.