What's new

Thoughts on scentless (or close) ASB?

Maybe ASB is not the right word. I need something to apply after my AS. Something with little or no scent. However, i would like it to sooth and calm irritation. Here is my process:

3 pass shave
Warm rinse
Alum block
Allow to dry
Cool rag to tighten
Aftershave

Lastly would be a nice ASB/lotion. I just don't want it to mask the scent of my AS that i use. Love the scents of those too much.

you know what the body shop used to have a PERFECT aftershave balm that was unscented and fits the bill perfectly but its been discontinued so i cant really recommend it. There is another cream that i can recommend from the same place, its the seaweed mattifying day cream. Man that cream works for me SOOOOOOO well its for combination skin and has a bit of alchol, never leaves me oily but moistureses enough to not leave me dry. I HIGHLY recommend u step into a body shop and check out their lil tubs of creams. On top of every line it will say exactly what its for, and i find they fit the bill perfectly. You can also ask for samples if u would like to try something ontop of that if a cream doesnt work for you, u can always bring it back even if its half full for an exhange!!! Give their shaving cream and aftershave a try to when ur there. Dont bother with the preshave oils.

Nivea sensitive is pretty close to unscented. I usually detect a very faint citrus smell from it. Sometimes when I have drying after my splash I'll just put a lotion/moisturizer after the splash dries. Works for me.

Yes, exactly! Either the Splash or the Skin Conditioner would be perfect, both are scentless.
Also you could always combine a pea sized amount of 444 with the splash of your choosing, I don't detect any scent from it (maybe a little menthol).

Last edited:
i never thought about an unscented ASB til i read that on here the other day. ive been using Mennen Afta for a while and decided to put some cologne on after it dried and wow did that help tame almost all the alcohol burn from the cologne.

so now im on a quest for some unscented ASB. its amazing 20yrs of shaving and i still find new things from our fine B&B members.:thumbup:

Found AOS unscented to have a slight chemical odor, although it does work well for moisturizing. YMMV.

Do the recommended ASB's Nivea, Lucido & Gentleman's Refinery have any unpleasant chemical after-scent? Are any truly unscented or so lightly scented that they will not color the cologne to follow?

Found AOS unscented to have a slight chemical odor, although it does work well for moisturizing. YMMV.

Did you try the small sample size, or the full bottle? I got a bit of a chemical smell from the sample size as well, but then I tried it at the store, and did not get the same reaction. Maybe the sample bottle had been sitting for a wihle?

Interesting. It was not the free samples that they give away when you make a purchase. However, it was the smaller Starter Kit. May have to look into this as I liked the quality of the product.

Yes, exactly! Either the Splash or the Skin Conditioner would be perfect, both are scentless.
Also you could always combine a pea sized amount of 444 with the splash of your choosing, I don't detect any scent from it (maybe a little menthol).

Yes, both the Lucido splash and the skin conditioner are excellent products that I highly recommend. Following your AS, I would probably lean more toward the skin conditioner, but both work wonderfully, and as mentioned, are scentless.

Feather makes an Aftershave Balm. IMO it is excellent, and underrated. Moisturizing, but doesn't leave your face oily. It leaves a nice matte finish, and does help "cool" your face down just a bit. (There isn't any menthol or anything, the balm is just helps calm any redness/razor burn) Good price too!

You can use a straight moisturizer or one with some sunscreen in it. I like Cetaphil Daily Moisturizing lotion.

another great product at a much higher price point is TwinLuxe's Soothing Face Balm.

I have been thinking about the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizing lotion. I will most likely pick-up some Nivea Sensitive ASB to try due to the low price point and move on from there up the scale to Lucido etc.

Interesting. It was not the free samples that they give away when you make a purchase. However, it was the smaller Starter Kit. May have to look into this as I liked the quality of the product.

Yes, that's what I meant - the small bottle in the starter kit. The full sized bottle did not have this problem. Check it out at a store.

Top Bottom