What's new

thoughts on proraso shaving stuff?

what do you think of the proraso stuff? ive heard its number one seller in italy. i mean their creams, soaps, preshave, after shave etcetc is what im wondering about. is it worth the money to some of you more experienced shavers

While I have not used the Proraso products that come in the big jars (white, red, green), I have used, and really, really like Proraso "Blue" (Aloe and Vitamin E) and Proraso "Single Blade" creams.

Proraso is a classic for a reason. It's cheap (I buy mine @ TJ Maxx for $3.99), it's good, smells nice and comes with the matching pre-shave, splash, balm if you care about such things. I always have some Red and some Green with their respective splashes.

They also make Single Blade line. I have their "red" (Wood & Spice) and "green" (Cypress Vetiver) versions and they are a step above the regular Proraso. Interestingly enough, if you have the big bag of cream, you can squeeze it into an empty Red/Green soap tub and it fits perfectly after you press it in. It will slightly harden over time and you can load it like a croap. Here's a photo:

938794-d0f9bbd2bb5889f1fa1f5ecabfb3c1ed.jpg

It is so easy to make great lather with this. Also, they have their own line of balms and colognes. They are excellent - at this point the Single Line is my go-to and Valley Beauty sells these big 10 Oz bags for $15. It's a bargain IMO.

Depends on what you mean by "worth the money". In Europe you can get a tube of Proraso Green for €3. The Tub is more or less the same. That is a great deal.

The Green Aftershave is like €7, and that too is a great deal.

However, if you add shipping and some distribution costs for sales in CONUS the Proraso line is suddenly competing in a different price segment (medium or high end).

Over the years, I've managed to try ALL of the Proraso soaps in tubs and creams in tubes. Most were disappointing.

I would stay away from soaps in the tub altogether, as performance is lackluster. That said, their creams are pretty good, but there are better ones. Of the classical Italian ones, Cella is the first that comes to mind, a better product in the similar price range.

Scent is always YMMV thing, but to me white and green were horrendous, with red, blue and yellow being "nothing to write home about". The one I like is the olive drab one, Cypress & Vetyver.

FWIW, I find their A/S balms to be excellent.

Last edited:
So far I have only tried white and green creams. They are not artisan or luxurious, but I am quite satisfied with their performance for the price. Cream whips up quickly into a satisfactory lather. I prefer the white for scent (light and delightful with hints of apple and lime) over the traditional green. Cella, another Italian classic, has a warmer and creamier feel. I plan to replace all three when they run out.

The products are very inexpensive in Italy, as said. They're available practically everywhere.

The problem is that in the U.S. they tend to cost a lot more. For that kind of money, I'd rather buy something else. For soaps under $10, look at Cella Bio, La Toja, Speick, Tabac, Haslinger, Provence Sante, etc. There are so many choices.

The Proraso Single Blade line is really good and you can find it now in smaller tubes of 100g for $6 or so. A tube of that would be worth getting.

That said, I bought a tub of Proraso for $4. A bottle of shave balm for $5. Now, that was a good deal, so why not?

The Proraso range is excellent, the soaps are very easy to lather. I've read many negative comments regarding slickness. Last night I used Proraso Green tub soap and finished with a clean-up pass using only invisible residual slickness.

I have tried a couple of the creams in the last year or so. They are pretty reasonably priced in the UK where I am. The new Blue cream (Super Formula) is great - nice and slick with fantastic post-shave feel. The Super Formula white cream is also pretty good. I could easily shave every day with the Blue.

The only Proraso I have used is the Red (Sandalwood).

Is it worth the $10 it cost me? Probably.

Are there other soaps that cost less than Proraso that perform as well or better? I can think of only one. Cremo shave creams cost under $6 and perform better as far as I am concerned. Cremo is my choice when I am traveling.

Are there soaps that cost more than Proraso that do not perform as well? Yes, there are a few, but I won't name them.

Are there more expensive products that perform better than Proraso? Absolutely! I could list nearly 100 of them, but they range in price from $15 to $36. My favorite soaps start at $20 and go up from there. However, just because it is expensive does not make it a great soap. I have one $30 soap that does not perform any better than Proraso.

Since Proraso is not expensive and it performs reasonably well, purchase a tub of whichever flavor you prefer. Depending upon your needs and preferences, it might work well for you. If it does not, there are plenty of other options.

S

Scrubby

I will always have Propaso red tubs + aftershave in my rotation and as a backup stash. But as some others already mentioned before my post, living in Europe it is a no-brainer cost-wise (I think my last batch of red-tubs cost me EUR 2.45 a piece).
As I see it is a good daily driver, but nothing to write home about it compared to high end soaps. BTW: for over a week now I was sticking to Proraso red, after a 3 month Tabac binge.

Green soap should be in your rotation at some point for sure.
Red soap should also be in your rotation at some point for sure.
Red Aftershave should also be in your rotation at some point for sure.
White soap should be in your rotation at some point for sure.
White Balm should be in your rotation at some point for sure.
Blue Balm is in my rotation for sure.........that one is on you.

The only Proraso I have used is the Red (Sandalwood).

Is it worth the $10 it cost me? Probably.

Are there other soaps that cost less than Proraso that perform as well or better? I can think of only one. Cremo shave creams cost under $6 and perform better as far as I am concerned. Cremo is my choice when I am traveling.

Are there soaps that cost more than Proraso that do not perform as well? Yes, there are a few, but I won't name them.

Are there more expensive products that perform better than Proraso? Absolutely! I could list nearly 100 of them, but they range in price from $15 to $36. My favorite soaps start at $20 and go up from there. However, just because it is expensive does not make it a great soap. I have one $30 soap that does not perform any better than Proraso.

Since Proraso is not expensive and it performs reasonably well, purchase a tub of whichever flavor you prefer. Depending upon your needs and preferences, it might work well for you. If it does not, there are plenty of other options.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I like Proraso among other budget friendly shaving soaps. I usually add a tub to my cart when ordering from IB, and pay around $7.
For me it's a decent staple soap to have around.

Proraso makes products that perform adequately and are readily available in Europe at very reasonable prices. I've bought some on my trips there, and have a tube of red and green creams around. Those are the best for me of what I've tried. The Proraso tub soaps are much less interesting to me. They're okay and I have a few bought, but only on sale. Their splashes are/ have always been nice; green and red are my favorites. I guess everyone should at least give Proraso a try. From the comments above, there have always been some real fans here.

IMO- for here in the United States, if financially constrained, I'd recommend spending $13.60 on a tub of Stirling soap over Proraso. I think they make a better lather and have a better post-shave feel for me- of course, as usual YMMV.

Proraso is just like Nivea, Van der Hagen, Noxema......; I happen to like the others better, except the Proraso after shave that I like.

Their soaps and creams generate this wicked residue that floats in the sink and covers it......not my fav.

Top Bottom