What's new

Thoughts on preventing the future demise of blade manufacturers

I was considering the possibility that someday I may not be able to get blades for some of my beloved razors and whether I needed to start stocking up with a lifetime supply (I'm sure SWMBO would love that).. and then I remembered a story I'd read about some Polaroid enthusiasts who bought the last Polaroid factory in Amsterdam right before it was to be demolished. (Here's the article).

So this got me thinking.. if things got bad enough and it looked like the last blade manufacturer was going to shut down, maybe the B&B community will step up and buy it.. I say we start an endowment fund. :001_smile

I don't know if it will ever happen, but it helps me sleep at night and get a good shave in the morning. :biggrin1:

Yeah that was a pretty deep post. Got me thinking what if this really happened. Not sure if I could or would even want to live.

I'm sure some B&Ber has the skills and equipment to start manufacturing blades in an emergency. We have plenty of talented metalworkers here. Perhaps Catcoonbob?

I'm sure someone would step up and price gouge, I mean supply us with the blades we need. :laugh:

I do need to stock up. I have under 100 blades left.

I especially liked this part of the article:
Retro analog-instant film will put no dent in the digital juggernaut. Goodness knows it's hardly an essential good. But I'm always glad when the market increases our choices instead of narrowing them.

Last edited:
I was considering the possibility that someday I may not be able to get blades for some of my beloved razors and whether I needed to start stocking up with a lifetime supply (I'm sure SWMBO would love that).. and then I remembered a story I'd read about some Polaroid enthusiasts who bought the last Polaroid factory in Amsterdam right before it was to be demolished. (Here's the article).

So this got me thinking.. if things got bad enough and it looked like the last blade manufacturer was going to shut down, maybe the B&B community will step up and buy it.. I say we start an endowment fund. :001_smile

I don't know if it will ever happen, but it helps me sleep at night and get a good shave in the morning. :biggrin1:

Thanks, now I'm going to have nightmares.

I don't think you need to start panicing just yet as there are a few blade manufacturers out there.
But just to make sure my current stock is over 1200 ( I have over 600 Bleues as they are my favourite blade).............so I think I have enough for now....:001_smile

...start stocking up with a lifetime supply
[...] maybe the B&B community will step up and buy it.. I say we start an endowment fund.
A lifetime supply of 2,500 blades (50 blades/year x 50 years, adjust parameters accordingly) will cost less than a share in the factory.

(This is the argument you offer to your wife when you start hoarding. :laugh:)

I wouldn't worry yet. These things are ridiculously cheap to produce, and the equipment is still out there (not like we're resurrecting battleships here), and the processes are not overly complicated. Even if producers started to consolidate, eventually the economics would make the last standing company(s) profitable as long as consumers exist. I'd even wager there's a giant warehouse somewhere full of your favorite blades.

Don't forget that most factories making DE blades also usually make othe blades - eg surgical blades for scalpels etc, utility knife blades, crafts blades.. Of all these, DE blades are the least demanding and the highest volume by far. As long as there is demand for them, there will be DE blades.

My thoughts? I need to make it through my sampler pack, pick one, and stock up.

+1 here.

Also, markets like India, Pakistan, and Turkey where DE represents ~90% of the shaving market should help delay the shavepocalypse at least awhile longer... though P&G is trying hard to push the cartridge and disposable there now as well.

+1 here.

Also, markets like India, Pakistan, and Turkey where DE represents ~90% of the shaving market should help delay the shavepocalypse at least awhile longer... though P&G is trying hard to push the cartridge and disposable there now as well.

Don't forget blades are also made in huge quantities in other countries like Egypt,Brazil,Germany,Japan,China and Russia so don't panic. Blades of some form should be around for our lifetime.

the blades will remain in markets such as pakistan because of simple reason that they are disposable....plus there's a tradition of getting a shave done from a barber the poor and the rich many a times hit the saloon and some develop the habit....what does that ensure? steady supply of the 7 o clock yellow russians for the shaving the rich folk and we have plenty of those....the poor always get shaved by the treets so dont see them going out of business soon....other then that rural population of 60% has the option to use the gillette blue 2s and blue 3 disposables for self use but the way they rip apart ones face am sure gives users a reason to get back to de's...obviously gillette is trying hard but its a battle which they will win because when i was growing up simple logic said more blades meant closer the shave...i cant get one with 3 passes on a mach 3 dont know what crap they are ranting on about!

Don't forget that most factories making DE blades also usually make othe blades - eg surgical blades for scalpels etc, utility knife blades, crafts blades.. Of all these, DE blades are the least demanding and the highest volume by far. As long as there is demand for them, there will be DE blades.
+1
You brought a peace back. Thanks, buddy!

If I remember correctly DE blades are also used as surgical instruments in certain occasions so that should be another reason to keep them around ;-)

the blades will remain in markets such as pakistan because of simple reason that they are disposable....plus there's a tradition of getting a shave done from a barber the poor and the rich many a times hit the saloon and some develop the habit....what does that ensure? steady supply of the 7 o clock yellow russians for the shaving the rich folk and we have plenty of those....the poor always get shaved by the treets so dont see them going out of business soon....other then that rural population of 60% has the option to use the gillette blue 2s and blue 3 disposables for self use but the way they rip apart ones face am sure gives users a reason to get back to de's...obviously gillette is trying hard but its a battle which they will win because when i was growing up simple logic said more blades meant closer the shave...i cant get one with 3 passes on a mach 3 dont know what crap they are ranting on about!

On my recent Jamaica trip I was surprised to learn that many of my students didn't own razors and instead went to the barber a couple of times a week.

what?
did they ever say that about straight edges?
could computer-aimed micro lasers make blades obsolete one day??

fragrances...on the other hand...

Top Bottom