What's new

Thoughts on preshave oils or creams

Pre-shave products are classic YMMV.
For me, based upon empirical evidence, they improve my shaving experience. I should point out that I have coarse tough bristles; not just my opinion but also that of my Barber.
I always start with application of hot water to my face - maybe 20-30 seconds.
After trying many options, I have settled on Valobra Glyerlanolina soap to cleanse my skin and further soften my bristles.
I have tried many pre-shave lotions and gels, including Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil cream, Geo. F Trumper Skin Food, Castle Forbes Pre-shave gel, Proraso Green Pre-shave cream, and Baum.be Pre-Shave gel.
The two products that work best for me when prepping my face just prior to lathering are Alt Innsbruck Emulsion and Myrsol Emulsion. Both contain lanolin, which seems to work really well for me.
If I miss any steps of my pre-shave (and this happens occasionally if my mind is on other matters), I pick this up early on in the first pass. The most common sensation is a reduction is razor glide, and sometimes minor tugging, even if I am using a fresh sharp blade.
As I say, YMMV, so I can understand why some folks find pre-shave products unneccessary.
Folks are entitled to their opinions on pre-shave products, and some have done so by saying that they are a scam or a bunch of hooey. However, I note that many other members in this thread, including myself, have affirmed that pre-shave products are an important part of their routine.

I used used them when I was new because I read it was a good form of beard prep. I haven’t used them much lately. I had no issues with them but found them unnecessary. If you have a good performing soap you don’t need them. The soap formula has been carefully crafted and by added a mix of oil you are messy around with how that formula performs. You don’t add salt to a dish prepared by a top chef and you don’t need to add oil to a soap made by a top soap maker.

I have a very dry skin and use coconut oil as a preshave around 5 minutes before starting to lather my face. It is not improving my shave, but moisturizing my skin, so I have less irritation.

Was wondering about preshave oils as I have been using one I received as a gift for the past six months, but as mentioned at the start of the thread; the idea of face lathering with a preshave oil that advertises to create a film of slickness for your shave, seems counter intuitive. I figured the oil is at the very least boosting the lather, but oils are much more expensive than the glycerin preshave soaps that are currently on the market that it made me wonder. I enjoy the scent of mine and the sensation of heat that it gives me when I apply it, the whole thing is extremely soothing, but shavewise I barely feel anything and what I do feel it may be just psychological. The one I have doubles as a beard oil so I may just get another when this one runs out and use it as a preshave and just apply it to my stubble if I ever skip on shaving for more than a couple of days.

Top Bottom