What's new

Thoughts on preshave oils or creams

If one has a good soap lather do you really think preshave products make a difference or is it just marketing hype to sell more unnecessary stuff? What’s your thoughts on this? To me the oils under the lather seem to cause blades to gunk up more but I’m still learning.

I don't use the pre-shave oils for the very reason that you mentioned: gunking up of brushes and blades. Plus, it seems to add increased razor drag as well.

I think that in many cases it is just marketing stuff/hype.

However one friend said that he just liked an extra dose of the scent he was enjoying before he actually started to lather up.... and so it was just an extension of the sent experience.

I think generally it's not necessary,but I do leave room for the fact that there may be some skin types out therethat really need this kind of extra treatment to get a good shave.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

At one time I used pre-shave oils. I never had a problem with them with my razor or brush. However, I used a light pre-shave oil I bought from T&H or one that I mixed myself. You can find some recipes here. Lately, I have been using on occasion a pre-shave product from Grooming Department.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use Cremo as a pre-shave.

Slick. Adds an additional layer of protection. Augments and supports the regular lather.

Much more reasonably priced than most. ;)

I find that if I put preshave on the areas that are prone to irritation (upper lip and just under the lower lip) then I have a more comfortable shave and those areas have less irritation. I don't use the preshave anywhere else.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I tried some pre shave items some time ago. They made no difference or no improvement to my shaves. Many use them and do find an improvement in their experience. Best to try some and see what you think. If they work for you then that is great. This is the fun thing in this shaving journey, we can try different stuff and see what works or does not work for us.

Some love preshave products. In contrast, I found little benefit when using good soaps. So I am in the ‘not necessary’ camp. Worth a try so you can decide for yourself!

I tend to use my home made pre-shave oil when I skip a day shaving. It just makes things so much easier. I also found it better to apply it in the shower after washing my head and face. I usually do that first thing and then finish the rest of my shower. This gives it plenty of time to work properly. I also added a little glycerin to mine as well which just seems make it that much better.

How is applying a preshave oil then face lathering NOT like using a soap with a lot of extra oils in it? Doesn’t the soap dissolve the Oil in the surface into the lather and hold it there the same as if it were part of the soap all along? The only difference being some of the oils got a chance to absorb a bit an maybe lock in some hydration.

I make my own preshave oil, primarily using jojoba oil. I massage 3 or 4 drops into my face to make the skin more resilient. In general, dry skin cuts more easily. That said, I forgot to pack it on my last trip and didn't notice any real difference.

What is so wrong with your lather you need a pre-shave? I suppose there are those out there that want to use it, but it would really bother me if I had to use one with any soap or cream purchase. My opinion only. Doesn't mean if you use one I think differently of you. Just bothers me personally for my own shaves.

Only PAA Cube for me. Love the menthol and does seem to help prep for shave better than oils.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Preshave products are totally unnecessary. Having said that, I use Proraso white preshave every morning because I love the scent. Not sure if it improves my shave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Try simply splashing warm water on while the sink fills; it's the only preshave needed. Seriously. Wet beard cuts easier, what it's wet with doesn't matter.

AA

I tried some pre shave items some time ago. They made no difference or no improvement to my shaves. Many use them and do find an improvement in their experience. Best to try some and see what you think. If they work for you then that is great. This is the fun thing in this shaving journey, we can try different stuff and see what works or does not work for us.
I agree with the first bit, disagree with the second bit. The first being that they don't improve anything, the second being the idea that many use them and find them useful. I've been around the various forums for over a decade and can count on one hand the number of experienced wetshavers (who aren't also vendors) who use or advocate pre shave oils. Sorry if this seems brusque but there's enough stuff to spend on that you might actually like and enjoy.

I agree with the first bit, disagree with the second bit. The first being that they don't improve anything, the second being the idea that many use them and find them useful. I've been around the various forums for over a decade and can count on one hand the number of experienced wetshavers (who aren't also vendors) who use or advocate pre shave oils. Sorry if this seems brusque but there's enough stuff to spend on that you might actually like and enjoy.

You basically just said what I was thinking. I’m guessing water is your preshave? With a good lather of course!

Top Bottom