What's new

Thoughts on polishing knurling

A toothbrush is plenty fine for the level of polishing you need to do here.
Another good option is a polishing cloth, they're usually just the right level of abrasive for a razor.

Well since in a former life I was a gun nut err... I mean firearms enthusiast and a former 8404 (oooorah!) I started off from day one using my "cleaning brush, small arms" for the task. Yes, the small end is VERY useful on knurling! Flitz is awesome but good 'ole Turtle Wax brand chrome polish works pretty well too. Good luck, I have alot fun cleaning my newly arrived treasures!

I got the RAD bad...

I am about as effective as a soup sandich, but I use a toothbrush a a little Flitz polish on my knurled handles. Then I take an old 100% cotton t-shirt and buff like hell. My results are good enough for me and my vintage razors do shine. The toothbrush seems to work the polish down into the grooves and looses any soap scum and crud that I missed during cleaning.

I used the same method but with MAAS. After I figured that I had scrubbed it enough, I'd wet the brush with soap and water and get most of the MAAS off. Then I'd use an old t-shirt to buff it out. It works very well for me.

You are correct sir.....:thumbup1::thumbup1:

A brass brush is how I remove plating from the knurling.
Use the white toothpaste not the gel.

Buddydog is right to point out the warning though.

I just did this 30 second test to show what it can do.

These are sad cell phone shots before and after.
Remember this is just 30 seconds and done lightly at that.

I have used my Dremel tool with a wire brush attachment and extreme care several times and gotten okay results, but frankly not noticeably better than the result from using an old toothbrush and metal polish — just a lot more anxiety lest I damage a fine razor that just wants a bit more shine. I'd stick with the above recommendations, but if you get hold of a real beater it might be worthwhile to see what a Dremel can do. I still use mine on occasion, but only when a lot of elbow grease and lighter technique just hasn't done the trick.

I have used my Dremel tool with a wire brush attachment and extreme care several times and gotten okay results, but frankly not noticeably better than the result from using an old toothbrush and metal polish — just a lot more anxiety lest I damage a fine razor that just wants a bit more shine. I'd stick with the above recommendations, but if you get hold of a real beater it might be worthwhile to see what a Dremel can do. I still use mine on occasion, but only when a lot of elbow grease and lighter technique just hasn't done the trick.

Check out my Cleaning Experiment thread!

To finish polishing use cotton gym sock turned inside out with your favorite metal polish.

Trust me it works.:thumbup1:

Best advice ever

$IMG_4036.jpg

Top Bottom