What's new

thoughts on musgo real

hey guys,
it looks like my next few purchases will consist of the musgo real pre-shave oil and aftershave. my question is: is the pre-shave worth getting, and will the a/s be gentle on my sensitive skin. i live in florida and think the a/s splash would be better than the balm due to our hot, humid weather, but i don't want it to wreak havoc on my complexion. also, what are your thoughts on thayer's witch hazel as a post shave toner? is it worth looking into and if so, which one would work best ie. lemon, lavender, rose etc. or are they all basically the same with different scents?

as always, thank you for your excellent guidance =P

cheers~ frankie

Frankie,

The Musgo aftershave is one of the better post-shave treatments out there, if your skin can tolerate alcohol. Only you can answer that question, but if you have sensitive skin, you may want to be careful and/or consider a balm instead. I don't use pre-shave products, so I can't comment on that part.

The Thayers is great stuff, and would probably suit your sensitive skin better. The witch hazel and aloe feels really nice. The different types vary only by scent. The Rose is particularly nice.

If you have some time, you can throw your hat in for the Fragrance Train, which has a sample of the Musgo, plus much else.

I agree with Scotto. You can dilute the balm by applying a pea size or smaller amount on a wet face. Let it dry naturally. I use this method and it works well.

Frankiepantz said:
is it worth looking into and if so, which one would work best ie. lemon, lavender, rose etc. or are they all basically the same with different scents?cheers~ frankie

One thing to note is that there are 3 thayer's formulas. The Rose and Lavendar are alchohol free, and there's an unsented alchohol free one as well. There are a bunch that have alchohol, inlcuding the lemon and a somewhat interesting peach and their concentrated "aftershave" product. There is also a "super hazel" medicated which is interesting, but contains alcohol and clove oil, so is probably not a good aftershave.

The thayer's website has a trial set available for 15.00 that sends a 2oz bottle of everything except the aftershave

Hey Frankie,

I can second what Scotto has said about the Rose Petal Witch Hazel; it is VERY nice stuff.

Also, interesting input by zaphf. I may have to try out the trial set.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Thayer's provides only a modicum of moisturizing, but it goes on so nicely and feels so soothing that it has become my first line of defense. The lavender and rose are both very nice, but I'd easily give the nod to the rose.

I recall reading that the Musgo splash is ~16% alcohol (please correct me if I'm wrong), so you may well be able to tolerate it even if the thought of a traditional "bracing" a/s sends chills down your spine. As a cheap, easy test for tolerance at this level of concentration, I'd suggest trying Dickenson's witch hazel (or any other cheap brand) that has about 15% alcohol. Better to throw out $2, rather than $22. You may even like the Dickinson's, despite the rather sour smell.

ouch said:
I recall reading that the Musgo splash is ~16% alcohol (please correct me if I'm wrong), so you may well be able to tolerate it even if the thought of a traditional "bracing" a/s sends chills down your spine. As a cheap, easy test for tolerance at this level of concentration, I'd suggest trying Dickenson's witch hazel (or any other cheap brand) that has about 15% alcohol. Better to throw out $2, rather than $22. You may even like the Dickinson's, despite the rather sour smell.

good thought. i'll give that a try:biggrin:

Right after I rinse, I spray the rose petal witch hazel onto my face, while that dries I clean up my brush and bowl, and then I apply my aftershave of choice. On a non-dry day Lime Skin Food works very nicely. The results are much better than just the Skin Food on its own.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know that the cognoscenti recommend spraying or spritzing alcohol or hydrosol based products as an advanced technique, but I prefer to just rub the Thayer's in. Perhaps it's the bit of aloe in it, which seems to be the perfect amount, because it feels so good going on.

I, too, like to hit it with some skin food before it fully dries, and I always use it immediately prior to using Proraso pre/post. It makes that rather heavy product much more manageable.

Ouch,

I'm also a fan of splashing on the Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel vice spritz, although I've been using the Coral Skin Food afterwards. The Thayers is not bad on the hands either.

Rose Witch Hazel with a Limes twist, huh? May need to give that a try

I just splash on the Thayers also. The cotton/pad thang doesn't do it for me. I also sometimes use the Thayers in the evening, after washing my face. This provides a bit of scent before bed, as well as very light moisturizing from the aloe.

I use Thayers lavender before the Musgo and the combo works for me.

Musgo also has some witch hazel in it, which helps counter the alcohol.

Like Scotto, if often use the Thayers again in the evening - I use it with the cotton ball/pad and just rubbed in and it works either way.

If you like traditional, masculine scents, I highly recommend the Musgo.

Top Bottom