What's new

Thoughts on merkur progress or mergress?

The progress is an outstanding razor.

P.S. I should note that the Progress is a very head heavy razor, with the balance point only a few mm away from the head. The Mergress will be more balanced due to the heavier adjustment knob, although I can't vouch for the balance as I don't have one myself.

I would disagree. The balance point on my Progress (YPMV) is exactly where I'd expect it to be, and gripping at that balance point allows for excellent pinky control on the bottom. That's one reason I don't want no Mergress.

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I can only concur with the praises for the Progress. I’ve used mine daily for 4 or 5 years with no performance or reliability issues.
The Megress I’m sure is a fine razor but the price difference is off-putting and I actually prefer the ivory knob and it’s contribution to the 1950s Art Deco look. (I’m also a huge classic Porsche fan which also doesn’t hurt lol!)
The Parker head looks so much like the Progress, I’ve wondered if it would give the same awesome shaving experience.
Although I’m trying a different razor at the moment (as I do on rare occasion) I always go right back to the Progress.
YMMV, but I can only speak from my own experience and taste.

I can only concur with the praises for the Progress. I’ve used mine daily for 4 or 5 years with no performance or reliability issues.
The Megress I’m sure is a fine razor but the price difference is off-putting and I actually prefer the ivory knob and it’s contribution to the 1950s Art Deco look. (I’m also a huge classic Porsche fan which also doesn’t hurt lol!)
The Parker head looks so much like the Progress, I’ve wondered if it would give the same awesome shaving experience.
Although I’m trying a different razor at the moment (as I do on rare occasion) I always go right back to the Progress.
YMMV, but I can only speak from my own experience and taste.
My experience is that the Parker Variant shaves pretty close to the same as the Progress. There are some slight differences. The Variant seems a little heavier which I'm neutral on but I think the knurling on the handle is a slight improvement. I get close and very comfortable shaves from both.

I have had my Mergress for about ten years. I love it. In fact, I used it yesterday and will use it on Saturday.
Hah!

Exactly the same here.
Got my Mergress (the one with the large knob) out of the storage box last week, and enjoyed it a lot.
What took me so long to revisit it?

Will shave with it tonight as well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Yes, but the dial is also properly zeroed out. That part is not important to me at all, but it might be for certain personalities.
The accuracy of the zero setting isnt important to me at all. I got my mergress as part of a deal with another guy on here, and I do like it better than the long handled progress I had before it. It just feels better in balance and shave quality. But i would be perfectly happy with a stock progress if I lost my mergress.

I used my Mergress again this morning. Cranked up to 5, the Mergress is an efficient pleasure to use.

I used to have a Variant, but gave it to one of my sons, who appreciates a mild razor. At its lower settings, he finds it meets his needs.

I got a Progress a few weeks ago. I too like the ivory plastic knob and retro look. When tightned, mine typically lines up with the + sign but it does vary with blades being almost between the + and 5 with some blades. Great razor to use. Should have bought one years ago.

I bought my Progress late last month and have been shaving with it 2 times a week as part of my shaving rotation. Mine seems to settle at about 2.5 when fully tightened down, and that setting is fine for my face, so I've mostly left it there. The razor feels heavy and solid. Plus that ivory knob reminds me of the volume and tuning knobs of a radio we had at home when I was a kid, as well as the control knobs on a 1950s Mercedes.

Last edited:
I bought my Progress late last month and have been shaving with it 2 times a week as part of my shaving rotation. Mine seems to settle at about 2.5 when fully tightened down, and that setting is fine for my face, so I've mostly left it there. The razor feels heavy and solid. Plus that ivory knob reminds me of the volume and tuning knobs of a radio we had at home when I was a kid, as well as the control knobs on a 1950s Mercedes.

Are both index marks at the same end of the razor? If the cap is rotated 180 degrees, it produces that effect on mine.

1590436896405.png

No, I found that detail in the online instructions and made sure the triangle and the dot lined up. I just had not tightened the knob all the way down to start with -- none of the online pointers, until I asked here, mentioned that little detail. It's still at 2.5 or so when fully tightened, but then, I've read, that is quite possible with these Merkurs.

It's still at 2.5 or so when fully tightened, but then, I've read, that is quite possible with these Merkurs.
That is 180 degrees out. I get to ~ 2.5 when I set mine 180 degrees out. You can use which zero point you feel comfortable with though as they are only reference points to start from.

That is 180 degrees out. I get to ~ 2.5 when I set mine 180 degrees out. You can use which zero point you feel comfortable with though as they are only reference points to start from.
Well, that's as far down as it will tighten. The mildest setting, yes? I've left it there for now, as it agrees with my face and beard. I may loosen it a fraction for tomorrow's shave.

Well, that's as far down as it will tighten. The mildest setting, yes? I've left it there for now, as it agrees with my face and beard. I may loosen it a fraction for tomorrow's shave.
I was not suggesting it was not tightened down but merely suggesting to rotate the cap 180 degress and you may get a zero point very near the "+" mark when fully tightened. It is worth trying that experiment.

I was not suggesting it was not tightened down but merely suggesting to rotate the cap 180 degress and you may get a zero point very near the "+" mark when fully tightened. It is worth trying that experiment.
You mean grip the handle and rotate the entire head (with the blade out)?

Top Bottom