What's new

Thoughts on heated gear (jackets, gloves, etc)?

Are they worth it for casual wear (meaning not work wear)? Any semi-fashionable ones? Also I'm a little wary of walking around with a biggish Lithium Ion battery all time. Milwaukee's new heated gear looks decent (interesting) and I'm part of their tool system. But I don't like the logo being displayed on the chest.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'd guess it would depend on one's activities - but then I'm not sure what heated wear would be anyway, like battery powered socks of old? In my advancing age, heat sounds good, but then economy says put an extra layer on ..

Sounds akin to a pet rock

Having lived for decades without it in pretty cold places, it strikes me as a bit weird. There are other ways to keep warm. Good idea, I guess. I don’t think I will ever try it.

Can't argue against warm toes and fingers though, if that's on offer.

If I'm outside in really cold weather I am typically being active. Running. Hiking. Skiing. And if I'm active I don't want anything else regulating my temperature other than myself and the clothes I'm wearing. However, there is a small set of circumstances where I could be happy to have some of this heated gear. Tailgating at and attending a football game that is not in a dome. Then I imagine it would come in mighty handy. Certainly gloves and socks would be on my list. Not so sure about a jacket though. I do have a bunch of those pocket warmers that you find at camping stores and could see using them if my torso got cold at a game. Now, if I happened to go out and buy an Indian Chief Vintage (wipes drool off chin) I might have a need for some heated gear. But even then I probably wouldn't be crazy enough to ride in weather cold enough where there could be ice on the road, especially black ice. I don't ice fish. I don't go dog mushing in the winter. So, I can't imagine needing much more than a pair of heated socks and gloves. But if I did get a jacket, I wouldn't have a problem with having the Milwaukee label on the upper left chest.

I've only tried the old, first-generation Milwaukee heated jackets from about 8-9 years ago, but they worked pretty well. We were sent up to the Arctic and the extra warmth was a nice touch, especially when working outside, riding a snowmobile, etc. The only problem was that they were bulky. And, the logos were huge; one on the left front and a big one across the entire back.

But, I had a look at the recent models and they are much less bulky. The style is more fitted, so your profile is sleeker and slimmer, i.e no battery bulge, no obvious wiring or heat grid patterns, etc. Of the newer jackets and vests that I saw, all of them had a logo on the chest, so if you want one without a logo, then you're out of luck. But, they are MUCH smaller and more tasteful than the ones on our old style jackets.

Here's an example of the logo on the heated vest:

proxy.php

I have Gerbings heated gear for motorcycling. It was worth every penny. Riding in the 20s is comfortable. Riding in the teens is doable....When I say riding, I mean several hundred miles, not just across town.

The only thing I wear that is heated are my ski boots. You can wear this is any shoe that you own.

The great thing is that they keep your foot warm buy not letting them get cold. In other words, it never really gets your foot hot, as that would create sweating, and ultimately, cold feet. These keep your feet from not getting cold.
Brilliant technology to me and I've not had a single cold toe skiing since getting them 3 years ago.
I would not want this technology on something like gloves or a coat where I can choose better options like layering or different materials to keep me warm as I don't want the bulk of a battery anywhere on clothing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have Gerbings heated gear for motorcycling. It was worth every penny. Riding in the 20s is comfortable. Riding in the teens is doable....When I say riding, I mean several hundred miles, not just across town.
You are who I wanna be when I grow up!

thermals. I work outdoors, I dress in layers. It works.

My brother got one of those Milwaukee things two years ago, wore it the first year haven't seen it since.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nahh. A bit too far IMO. If you invest in some decent winter gear you won’t need a battery heater to keep you warm.

I can see the usefulness though. Maybe sitting in a hunting blind. But not for my everyday wear. I don’t want a battery back on my back while I’m off to the grocery

Sooo....

As an Winter outdoor activities enthusiast, I mostly have the opposite problem that most people do.
The issue for me is not necessarily staying warm, but expelling the sweat/moisture I work up. My setup:

Up top:
Base layer (underwear)
Shirt
Fleece
800 fill down jacket
Gore Tex Shell or a Carhartt/Dickies duck jacket for work

Down below:
Base layer
Fleece pants
Gore Tex Shell pants or for those really cold days insulated shell pants
Flannel lined Carhartt pants for work

For the extremities
Buff neckguard/faceguard/etc
Beanie liner
Wool hat
Kinco leather gloves/mittens (nothing better really... at a fraction of the cost of Black Diamonds or Hestras)
Merino or smart wool socks

I have never felt the need to be warmer unless it starts to get in the negative teens with the winds really howling. In fact, depending on how hard I'm exercising/working, oftentimes I lose layers.
Over the years I found that super thin, moisture wicking stuff worn in many layers is more effective than a single heavy parka (Canada Goose and the like).

FarmerTan

Sooo....

As an Winter outdoor activities enthusiast, I mostly have the opposite problem that most people do.
The issue for me is not necessarily staying warm, but expelling the sweat/moisture I work up. My setup:

Up top:
Base layer (underwear)
Shirt
Fleece
800 fill down jacket
Gore Tex Shell or a Carhartt/Dickies duck jacket for work

Down below:
Base layer
Fleece pants
Gore Tex Shell pants or for those really cold days insulated shell pants
Flannel lined Carhartt pants for work

For the extremities
Buff neckguard/faceguard/etc
Beanie liner
Wool hat
Kinco leather gloves/mittens (nothing better really... at a fraction of the cost of Black Diamonds or Hestras)
Merino or smart wool socks

I have never felt the need to be warmer unless it starts to get in the negative teens with the winds really howling. In fact, depending on how hard I'm exercising/working, oftentimes I lose layers.
Over the years I found that super thin, moisture wicking stuff worn in many layers is more effective than a single heavy parka (Canada Goose and the like).
Thank you for the info. Though I hope my hard, honest work days are behind me, I feel like you have just put on a clinic!

Thank you for the info. Though I hope my hard, honest work days are behind me, I feel like you have just put on a clinic!

No... I hope you have many hard, honest working days AHEAD of you.

I absolutely LOVE working outside late Fall through early Spring. LOVE the cold, crisp, pollen and moisture free air. LOVE not having the sun beating down on me, LOVE how my senses are heightened and my mind is more alert and quicker working.

I never feel more alive than after a long, hard, Winter workday is done. Inside, fire roaring, bourbon in hand, sitting in one of my favorite chairs. Embrace and celebrate Winter.

FarmerTan

No... I hope you have many hard, honest working days AHEAD of you.

I absolutely LOVE working outside late Fall through early Spring. LOVE the cold, crisp, pollen and moisture free air. LOVE not having the sun beating down on me, LOVE how my senses are heightened and my mind is more alert and quicker working.

I never feel more alive than after a long, hard, Winter workday is done. Inside, fire roaring, bourbon in hand, sitting in one of my favorite chairs. Embrace and celebrate Winter.
Thanks for the warm reminder my friend! My wife has purchased me a DVD that is in transit for exercising from a chair. I'm going to try and get my strength back this winter.

I feel so bad for her. She is picking up the slack I've left behind, and it kills my morale. But we heat with wood and she allows me to run the lever on the log splitter, and hand her split logs from the wheel barrow after she pushes it up to the porch from the lean to.

Not looking for pity my friend! Just trying to let everyone know: people die every day sitting in their Lazyboy, as my dad ALWAYS said, lol.

So, get off your butt and remember: use it, or you will lose it!

And I'm with you: Winter is a great time to be alive in Michigan! Our summers are too humid for me now. I will take 20°over 90° any time!

Top Bottom