What's new

Thoughts on dive watch complications

Hi all,

Just read a thread about dive watch recommendations and it has reminded me of a bit of a pet hate I have with dive watch compilations and I wondered if I am alone in this?

I get that most people don't dive with a dive watch anymore and use computers (I am firmly in the computer camp) but I still prefer dive watches that look like functional dive watches. I prefer no-date dive watches (traditional standpoint of "you don't need to know the date while underwater"); similarly I have never understood the chronograph versions of "dive watch" collections, as you can't push the buttons underwater and I also don't understand "dive watches" with fixed or no bezels (Omega Aqua Terra being a prime example).

Does anyone else share this pet hate? What are other peoples thoughts on dive watch complications?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
While I don't hate such complications, I agree that they are extraneous and unnecessary. Classic dive watches are tool watches; complications tend to get in the way of their functionality and reliability.

That said, I'll confess to owning a Paul Picot U-Boot chronograph as well as an unadorned Doxa Diver. I like the Picot because of its tasteful Roman dial and generous use of gold; and as a Clive Cussler fan, how could I not own an orange Doxa? Besides, I got good deals on both!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have an Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer and have used the chronograph underwater. I have pressed the start, stop, and reset buttons many times though not at great depth and it seems to work fine. That said, it seems an unnecessary complication in a dive watch. If I was not supposed to use the chrono underwater then I was not aware. Can someone state for certain? 👍

While I don't hate such complications, I agree that they are extraneous and unnecessary. Classic dive watches are tool watches; complications tend to get in the way of their functionality and reliability.

That said, I'll confess to owning a Paul Picot U-Boot chronograph as well as an unadorned Doxa Diver. I like the Picot because of its tasteful Roman dial and generous use of gold; and as a Clive Cussler fan, how could I not own an orange Doxa? Besides, I got good deals on both!

Yes, I like tool watches to be tool watches. I have an Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial which has the classic no date look, when I was sold it the lack of a date window was advised as a slight "drawback" to it...

Just looked up the Paul Picot U-Boat and it is a nice looking watching. I guess I just don't see the benefit of it being a diver. I have always been tempted to get a Doxa but haven't been able to find one to try on my wrist before buying. I always find it strange that it's not given the same attention as other classic divers like Seamaster, Subs, Fifty Fathoms etc when you consider its history and the fact is was one of Jacques Cousteau's favoured watches

I have an Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer and have used the chronograph underwater. I have pressed the start, stop, and reset buttons many times though not at great depth and it seems to work fine. That said, it seems an unnecessary complication in a dive watch. If I was not supposed to use the chrono underwater then I was not aware. Can someone state for certain? 👍

I think Omega state you can use them underwater, but I believe that watch is an exception to the general rule. Its the same reason most dive watches have a screw down crown or guard to prevent any seals/openings for water to leak in which is heightened at pressure.

I love a nice chronometer. A Speedmaster will be one of my next purchases and the new Breitling Top Time has also piqued my interest (probably helped by it being the Thunderball watch and me being a Bond fan), but I just don't see the benefit of it on a dive watch, but then I suppose a dive watch is somewhat redundant now that dive computers have taken over.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yes, I like tool watches to be tool watches. I have an Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial which has the classic no date look, when I was sold it the lack of a date window was advised as a slight "drawback" to it...
Indeed! While technically a "complication," a date window today is pretty much standard equipment. Doesn't matter to me. At my age, I can't see the damn things.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
An actual diver berated my Vostok Scuba Dude once because the bezel didn't lock - i.e, it twists both ways.

Real divers bezels only count down / twist one way.

AA

An actual diver berated my Vostok Scuba Dude once because the bezel didn't lock - i.e, it twists both ways.

Real divers bezels only count down / twist one way.

AA

Correct, its to prevent it accidentally moving the other way which would result in a diver thinking they have longer bottom time than they actually do. However, there are some "dive" watches where the bezel is fixed and cannot move either way, which I see as a bit pointless!

A word of caution. A dive watch is a safety device. It is a back up to your computer, should your computer fail under water (it happens). Thus you should set your watch prior to every decent and check it regularly as if you did not have a computer. If the computer fails, you will know how long you have been under, can time your safety stop, and use dive tables for you second dive based on your watch time. Your computer, and your dive table NDC time should roughly match.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think Omega state you can use them underwater, but I believe that watch is an exception to the general rule. Its the same reason most dive watches have a screw down crown or guard to prevent any seals/openings for water to leak in which is heightened at pressure.

I love a nice chronometer. A Speedmaster will be one of my next purchases and the new Breitling Top Time has also piqued my interest (probably helped by it being the Thunderball watch and me being a Bond fan), but I just don't see the benefit of it on a dive watch, but then I suppose a dive watch is somewhat redundant now that dive computers have taken over.
Thank you, this is mine and I thoroughly recommend it although it loses a few minutes per week.
20200412_065843.jpg

A word of caution. A dive watch is a safety device. It is a back up to your computer, should your computer fail under water (it happens). Thus you should set your watch prior to every decent and check it regularly as if you did not have a computer. If the computer fails, you will know how long you have been under, can time your safety stop, and use dive tables for you second dive based on your watch time. Your computer, and your dive table NDC time should roughly match.

Yes, I have thought of using one as backup, however, if my computer failed underwater I would be ending my dive and would use my dive buddies computer for timing the safety stop so I don't see it as essential. I wouldn't carry out a further dive without a computer, I completed a multilevel course using a watch and planning on a table, but I never enjoyed those dives as I was too focused on the watch/depth gauage/dive plan.

On a side note, most PADI courses don't even bother teaching tables (or the wheel) anymore, its purely computer based! Even though I use a computer I still think thats a mistake as the tables help you understand the theory behind the computer.

I like dive watches but I don't dive. I swim a lot but rarely go below 10 feet. I have several dive watches - two of my favorites are the Doxa T-Graph - lots of useless functions for a diver but I still like the unbridled in your face "loudness" of the dial and the Sub 300T - just a date and 3 hands for time. Nothing is foolproof. A computer can fail - dead battery or just crash. A mechanical watch can leak or just stop. Probably best to have both and a buddy.

tgraph.jpg

Yes, I have thought of using one as backup, however, if my computer failed underwater I would be ending my dive and would use my dive buddies computer for timing the safety stop so I don't see it as essential. I wouldn't carry out a further dive without a computer, I completed a multilevel course using a watch and planning on a table, but I never enjoyed those dives as I was too focused on the watch/depth gauage/dive plan.

On a side note, most PADI courses don't even bother teaching tables (or the wheel) anymore, its purely computer based! Even though I use a computer I still think thats a mistake as the tables help you understand the theory behind the computer.
Weenies!

Having just dropped off my Speedmaster for a service today (yes, I know it’s not a dive watch). I was reminded of someone asking me once “why don’t you just have a quartz watch?”

Basically because I like it. The same could be said for dive watches with complications. Why not if you like it?

I like my Speedmasters, I like my Seiko automatics, I like my Bulova quartz in a 1000 ft rated case... I like many watches. Thank Gawd I can't afford as many as I'd like... darn it.

I don't mind the extra complication in the sense it can make the watch more useful in other situations. While I do not have a diver with a chronograph, I sometimes like to use one on other watches. Even though I can nearly always remember the day (though the current stay-at-home orders making everyday-the-same is testing that) a date is nice even if only for checking the best-by-date on a loaf of bread or gallon of milk when out grocery shopping.

I have the opposite peeve....why is a rotating bezel almost exclusively reserved for a diver styled watch? Besides the date I find a rotating bezel to be a very useful function and is practically maintenance free. I want a tasteful one (internal or external) on my dress watch. A bezel provides an easy way to time low resolution activities like cooking or as a poor man's GMT when traveling across time zones.

I like dive watches but I don't dive. I swim a lot but rarely go below 10 feet. I have several dive watches - two of my favorites are the Doxa T-Graph - lots of useless functions for a diver but I still like the unbridled in your face "loudness" of the dial and the Sub 300T - just a date and 3 hands for time. Nothing is foolproof. A computer can fail - dead battery or just crash. A mechanical watch can leak or just stop. Probably best to have both and a buddy.

View attachment 1093263

The Sub300t is a classic and has a lot of history behind it (allegedly Jacques Cousteau preferred it to his Rolex Sub).

Not sure the T-graph is for me, just too much going on for a Dive Watch, but I would happily wear a non-diving version of it (which would likely making a bit more compact which suits me more).

I always dive with a buddy, but starting to think I might as well just buy another dive watch as a backup...

Having just dropped off my Speedmaster for a service today (yes, I know it’s not a dive watch). I was reminded of someone asking me once “why don’t you just have a quartz watch?”

Basically because I like it. The same could be said for dive watches with complications. Why not if you like it?

Speedmaster's are lovely watches, which version do you have?

Yes, its all about personal preference, I like dive watches that are more classic dive tool watches than a hybrid. I always wondered if I was in the minority with this, and it starts to look like I am. But as you said, we all get to buy what we like! (unfortunately subject to budget)

Top Bottom