What's new

Thoughts on coffin boxes?

Hi All,
I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole fairly recently (6 months ago) in terms of straight razor use. I immediately acquired a severe case or RAD, which is slowly (oh so slowly) coming under control. This was driven in part by a desire to accelerate my learning of razor honing. So currently have 20+ razors which mostly would be classified as beaters. I’m pretty confident that none of them are under 60 years old.

During this acquisition spree I’ve ended up with about 6 coffin boxes. Not something I was aiming for, but if the price is right, I’ll take it. Universally they have been in much worse shape than the razors themselves and in nearly all cases the coffin box didn’t even match the razor it came with. Most can’t really be used as razor holders because at least one end is full of holes or completely missing.

So from my perspective these coffin boxes are just ratty little objects taking up space in a drawer that could otherwise hold something useful, like scale blanks, honing tools or hey - more razors! But I realize that my opinion is just my own and is perhaps different than what others think. So wondering what others think about this. Do some of you like storing vintage razors in vintage coffin boxes? Do some of you restore coffin boxes to their former glory? Does the coffin box appeal to the same love of history that perhaps draws you to vintage straights?
Thanks,
Marty

I love to keep my razors in the box if it has one but I do search for them, plus I can stack them in the draw without damage to the scales or blade.

But that's just me.....

I really like the matching coffin boxes on vintage razors, part of the charm that goes with the razor.
It wouldn't sway me to either buy or not buy a razor because of the box though.
Its pre-plastic everything, I like that. They are surprisingly durable and some characterize the time they came from, which is nice also.

I don't much care for/about them. vintage mean nothing to me, and I don't know that I've bought a vintage with a matching box. I've got a couple new razors that came in more than just a jewelry (bracelet) box with no branding on it. they're in storage and might bump the price some if I sell those.

I store my razors in silicon cotton gun sleeve material sleeves, in a box, in a drawer.

They're cool looking but, in general, I'm not a fan. I might have 3 here right now..I usually toss 'em.

Legion

Staff member
If the box is correct for the razor I will usually store the razor in it.

My go-to razor that stays out lives in one of those Bakelite Puma coffins for protection.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When coffins are intact, I keep them. When they are falling apart, I don't. When I ship a razor, if it is smaller than 7/8 it goes in a toothbrush case. I buy them by the case and they cost me about $.36/ea and they protect the razor a lot better than a cardboard coffin.

I have a draw full of historic ones, I never use them. I have some tin ones, that my Chinese razors came in, which are handy for travel. There's only one I really like & it sits on the desk with the rest of my razors.
Box.jpg

What do you keep razors in then?
If nothing else, it protects them from accidental bumps, opening when moving, etc..

Honestly my personal 3 or 4 razors are loose in my personal bathroom shelf.
My finished for-sale razors are in a big box that my mother once made. It's like a huge book, with slots for razors so they are safe for storing.

For shipping I wrap them in paper and bubble wrap. For a while I had leather sleeves with my logo on them, but they were too expensive imo, and most people who buy customs have their own way of storing of displaying them.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have several somewhere but don’t use them. I use straight razors because they shave better than other razors, not for the antiquity.

So wondering what others think about this. Do some of you like storing vintage razors in vintage coffin boxes?

I like to store each razor individually, so either in the coffin they came in, or ones I subsequently acquired for that purpose. I'm not fussed if they are not in their original coffin (though prefer it when they are), as long as they are not rattling around loose. I have bought one of those TI leather sleeves for one of my razors, but justified that as the "travel case".

Top Bottom