What's new

Thoughts on bronze timeless?

Rad is kicking in and debating about the bronze timeless though not sure which gap to go with. Anyone have any experience with them?

Yes I’ve had a bit of experience with mine and both heads. If you want go to my World Shave Off Thread and the .38 SB is in the “ Mildly Efficient “ category and the OC is in the is in the “ Efficient Category. There’s more info on how it shaves and I will say there is a big difference in how the razor Shaves using both baseplates. Maintenance on the Bronze if you the razor to stay as it came to you is above average but if you don’t mind it getting darker and darker then it wouldn’t be that bad. I’ve got a bit of a case of OCD and I like to keep it as I got it so I have to polish is now and then. It is a looker.

How would you compare the two bronze base plates to the SS OC 68? I just purchased the OC 68 last week and love the look of the bronze also...thanks!

I have the Bronze OC, and I'm going to dissent from the "efficiency" evaluations above. In my experience, it has quite a bit of blade-forward feel for the results. I get very good (but not incredible) shaves from it, and it looks terrific. Like other Timeless razors, it's also beautifully made. I love shaving with it, and I don't fret about getting glassy-smooth BBS shaves from it every day. But to me it feels on my face as though the shave should be closer than what I end up getting.

Yes I’ve had a bit of experience with mine and both heads. If you want go to my World Shave Off Thread and the .38 SB is in the “ Mildly Efficient “ category and the OC is in the is in the “ Efficient Category. There’s more info on how it shaves and I will say there is a big difference in how the razor Shaves using both baseplates. Maintenance on the Bronze if you the razor to stay as it came to you is above average but if you don’t mind it getting darker and darker then it wouldn’t be that bad. I’ve got a bit of a case of OCD and I like to keep it as I got it so I have to polish is now and then. It is a looker.

Hope that helps.
I just browsed the shave off you did and though I didn't have time to go through it all to find the part about the bronze thank you for all the effort. Something tells me it'll be a big help towards other razors I'll curious about as well.

Just mentioned this recently on another thread but the Bronze SB gave me the best first pass out of any razor ever, period. Almost BBS. I could easily do one pass, go to work and be happy. I bought 2 for my sons. Don’t let that small blade gap fool you, it can also bite if not careful. These results came with a Kai blade and riding the cap. Not sure if the scalloped top cap makes a difference but the one I used has one.

I just browsed the shave off you did and though I didn't have time to go through it all to find the part about the bronze thank you for all the effort. Something tells me it'll be a big help towards other razors I'll curious about as well.

+1! The shave off thread is worth reading in detail!! Very informative and entertaining IMHO!! :a14::a14:

Just mentioned this recently on another thread but the Bronze SB gave me the best first pass out of any razor ever, period. Almost BBS. I could easily do one pass, go to work and be happy. I bought 2 for my sons. Don’t let that small blade gap fool you, it can also bite if not careful. These results came with a Kai blade and riding the cap. Not sure if the scalloped top cap makes a difference but the one I used has one.
Do you get any blade feel with a different blade?

Do you get any blade feel with a different blade?

Just used a Kai blade. These are wider than most blades you’ll find so this may be a big factor. It is meant to be my son’s razor so I no longer use it. I have a 95 OC stainless I got a while back, fantastic razor but if I did it all over again, I would have probably just waited for the Bronze. Both are beautiful razors, both aren’t cheap, but think $140 versus around $300. The Bronze is one of the most underrated razors on the forums and I have no idea why.

+1! The shave off thread is worth reading in detail!! Very informative and entertaining IMHO!! :a14::a14:
+2 on the VERY informative shave off.

The review of the 38 gap is on page 18, and the shave off with the 78 OC is on page 27.

The fact that both bronze models lost their head to head match ups was less important to me than the details provided on how they shaved. Both held their own against more expensive options.

Thanks. Sounds like you need to get a third razor!

Well, let’s see

EJ
Fatboy(s)
Slim
SA
Pre-War Tech
53 and 57 Super Speeds
Ikon SBS
Timeless 95 OC
Tried Bronze SB but for my boy
Parker Variant
Rex Ambassador
RR Game Changer with both 84 and .68 baseplates
Fendrihan Mark II A
Standard Razor
Microtouch 1
Slew of cartridge but best was Atra which I still have from the 80s and is a big hurry, late for work shave.
Norelco Electric, also from 80s that I still use for trimming.

Out of all, my best first pass ever was with the SB Bronze. Again, complete surprise, not expected and used a Kai blade and riding cap. Extremely close to BBS with one pass only.

As I mentioned, all of our faces are different and results vary for any number of reasons.

+2 on the VERY informative shave off.

The review of the 38 gap is on page 18, and the shave off with the 78 OC is on page 27.

The fact that both bronze models lost their head to head match ups was less important to me than the details provided on how they shaved. Both held their own against more expensive options.
Thank you for the pages.

Just used a Kai blade. These are wider than most blades you’ll find so this may be a big factor. It is meant to be my son’s razor so I no longer use it. I have a 95 OC stainless I got a while back, fantastic razor but if I did it all over again, I would have probably just waited for the Bronze. Both are beautiful razors, both aren’t cheap, but think $140 versus around $300. The Bronze is one of the most underrated razors on the forums and I have no idea why.
I've noticed that as well. Seems like there isn't much support for the bronze but when there is it's solid. I do like a little blade feel though. Since the game changer is the theme at the moment I would say my preference is more than the .68 plate but less than the .84. Right on the middle would be perfect. Not being sure about how much blade feel it has is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger at this point. Leaning towards the .34 solid bar but am Leary about lack of blade feel.

Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad I could be of some help.
I just read your short stroke skin stretch technique. It's interesting and I'm going to go a few shaves with it. I get irritation quite easily and I'm wondering how often you get it with this method? Or atleast in the beginning before irritation was a distant memory to you.

I just read your short stroke skin stretch technique. It's interesting and I'm going to go a few shaves with it. I get irritation quite easily and I'm wondering how often you get it with this method? Or atleast in the beginning before irritation was a distant memory to you.
I can't speak for @Dragonsbeard , but I adopted parts of his technique based on his detailed description...

And man, it stepped up the closeness of my shaves and reduced irritation to near nil. Even with my R41 and Ikon Deluxe. The man knows some things about shaving.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My 2 cents. An owner of 68 oc and pretty much love it
The oc bronze was a viper gashed and cut me like no tomorrow.
Turned it in for the sb bronze at first i wasn't impressed at all. After shelving it for several months i went back to it and like it.

Top Bottom