What's new

Thoughts on an open comb

I'm about to get my first open comb, I've read all sorts of reviews and I'm still undecided. I currently have a slim I like set on 3 or 4, a futur I leave on 1. I get great shaves with both of those. I also have a ball end tech and a red tip. The red tip is great but a little to aggressive for everyday use.

So I was thinking about the Merkur 11c or maybe a new. What do you guys recommend for a first open comb? keeping in mind I like a sort of mild razor.

Thanks
jtb

I have the Merkur 11C and I find that it is a mild razor for an OC, but I get great shaves from it. Although others who have used the 11C also say that the Goodfella is even milder.

Do not fear the open comb. The Muehle and the merkur 1904 have the same exact head, but the plating on the muehle is better. Get a NEW from Ebay or a member here, those are nice too. All not too aggressive.

I love all the vintage Gillette open combs with the New Improved head. An uncased Tuckaway tends to be the cheapest of those razors in my experience and provides an excellent every day shave despite its travel razor size,

I have a Sheraton which I enjoy. It's I would say it's close to a Slim on 4.

Agreed.

A long or short comb new with an open comb on any handle is nice.

A New Standard or Deluxe is a touch too aggressive.

I have a soft spot for an open comb new on a big custom handle.

TTO open combs are hard to come by.

I have found long comb news to be mild for me.

In my research, almost everyone agrees that a Goodfella razor is a very mild open comb. They are made in New Zealand I believe. I have never tried one but you might research those.

btwn my 1924 new Gillette, my Gem micro open combs, and the flat blade 1912 gems that might as well be OC, i have no desire to go back to closed comb guard razors. the shave just isnt the same

Agreed.

A long or short comb new with an open comb on any handle is nice.

A New Standard or Deluxe is a touch too aggressive.

I have a soft spot for an open comb new on a big custom handle.

TTO open combs are hard to come by.

While my TTO open combs are far from "collectible", they wont be leaving my den.; ever

Top Bottom