What's new

Thoughts on an Muhlke R41

I came back from a work trip and fell in love with my Gillette Travel Tech. I was able to use it for 5 days in a row. (I bought another for my twin brother) So I decided to find a 1966 tech. Which I am still looking for.

Then I went on a new razor hunt for myself.
I bought a RR Gillette Tech replica from Italian Barber. I have seen mixed reviews on this. For $10.00 I figured why not.

So I researched high and low about the Futur. I have decided not get it right now.

I hemmed and hawed over getting an Icon or an above the tie. After reading reviews on Badger & Blade they really seemed to not give a much better shave than others.

So I settled in on ordering a Muhle R41 this morning from West Coast Shaving. I have been wet shaving for over a year and really enjoy it.

I just want to get some thoughts on the R41. Some guys seem to use a less aggressive blade.

If you want to feel the blade, and shave at different angles, then this is your razor. More blade exposure than the razors you mentioned.

I shaved with the R41 one time successfully, and knew it wasn't for me and sold it. So I can't help you with blade choices.

Use light pressure and a good slick lather no matter what blade you use. Lather good enough for a Tech is not good enough for the R41.

It is without doubt a very assertive razor, and when mastered it delivers amazingly close shaves. I found it quite difficult to feel in full control of the razor at first, but am glad I persevered as one day it all clicked into place and I've never looked back. As with all open combs, I found it works best with a steeper shaving angle.

I like mine with an Astra SP or Feather. When I get too mild a blade, it is more forgiving, but doesn't shave as close for me, which makes me want to apply pressure, which doesn't end in a comfortable shave.

I think it's going to depend on your specifics as to what blade is going to work best for you.

For me, by comparison to the iKon SB and the '11 model R41, the '13 is much more toward the medium range of the spectrum. IMHO it's a relatively comfortable easy shaver.

It will allow a wide range of angles of attack because of the geometry of the base plate. For me it works very comfortably when I lift the handle more, causing a shallower blade angle. When I get into steeper angles, it starts getting tempermental.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Brother BigJoe, going from a Gillette Tech to a Muhle R41 is a very dramatic change. It's like a novice going from a coping saw to a chain saw!

Good luck, and our prayers and best wishes are with you.

You referenced the Merkur Futur. I find the Futur to be a very good razor. It's aggressive at moderate to high settings, yes, but my coarse whiskers have a love affair with the Futur at a 1.5 low setting. A solid feel in the hand, close and comfortable on the face, says it all. I suggest you give it serious consideration as a future purchase.

Please let us know what your experience is with the R41.

You don't sound ugly to me. :001_smile

But let us know how it goes with the R41. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on one, but with 75 DE razors it's hard to justify one more. Even to myself in a weak moment!

I am not too worried about cutting myself. I will respect and take my time.

I used to use a straight before I tore a bicep. I had the shakes in the arm for about a year and gave up wet shaving for ~10 years.

I am just starting collecting. Looking for the perfect tool for a one pass shave and touch up.

I have the 2013 R41 and with the stock cap it is not my most aggressive shaver although it is respectable- very capable razor.

However I purchased a spitfire cap for it and that turned it into a BEAST!

The spitfire is said to be modeled after the 2011 cap. I know the base plate on the 2013 is slightly different than the 2011 but I don't see how the razor in the spitfire configuration could be any more aggressive.

I love the R41. I like the way it shaves and it always provides smooth results. I never had an issue with the aggressiveness. I can honestly say it never bit me from day one, but many seem to have issues. The only thing I do not like about the R41 is the relatively smooth handle. I recently bought a Wolfman OC with a 0.74 gap, and although I only had 2 shaves with it, I think this is my new favorite shaver. As for the DE/SE razors I own, the order of preference are:
Wolfman Polished 0.74 gap w/ Darwin Handle
Muhle R41
Blackbird Polished SB
Blackbird Polished OC
OneBlade v2.0
Black Aluminum Hawk
PAA DOC Grackle
Wunderbar
White PAA Bakelite
Schick E2 Injector
Merkur 34C
Gillette M2 Gen 1 Slim Adjustable
iKon X3
Gillette SS Gen 3 1948-50
All provide great shaves, but the Wolfman, R41, & Blackbird SB are my favorites. The R41 and Blackbird SB are about tied but both feel very different. I think I like the R41 a tad better, but it is about as close to a draw as you can get. The OneBlade is great, but the blade life is short and it is mild. I pushed it to see how many shaves I could get, and by #6, I just got a face of razor burn trying to get close. I think 4 is the max, which is very low IMO for an SE with a top of the line proprietary blade. I agree with many that it is too expensive, the quality of the shave is great, packaging and presentation is the best, & it takes little effort to use. I think the cost of the blades is excessive as well for only 4 shaves. It is just one of those razors that is great, but hard to justify the expense. It is for the guy that has everything. In hind sight, I'm happy with it, but believe I would have been better off buying a Timeless and/or Charcoal for the money.

The older PAA DOC's are mild, but if you shim, or don't tighten the handle too tight, it is a really fun razor to use. It provides a great shave and lets you get a bit careless with buffing. It is also small and agile in the hands. I think the Wunderbar is the most aggressive and sensitive to errors in technique followed by the E2 Injector. Both will provide very smooth, close, satisfying shaves, but you need to be careful. The PAA bakelite is an awesome value and provides a great shave, but it is too light for some. I find it just fine. I like using it for a change of pace. I thought it would be a novelty, but was very surprised how great of a shaver it really is. It torques the crap out of your blades. The Hawk is another light but great value razor. I was able to get over 20 quality shaves from 1 blade! It is a great SE to try and own. I did not notice any quality issues with the one I received. It is so good, I have no interest in the General, ATT, or even the SS version. I don't think they offer anything additional or different enough from the original Hawk to justify buying another or spending more. To each his own.

I am very interested in trying the PAA Alpha Ecliptic and even the Prismatic. Top of the list to try is the Timeless, but I am holding off for awhile and will spend some time enjoying my new Wolfman.

My favorite blades are the Astra Green, Personna Lab Blue, & Derby Extra. Yes, Derby. I never had an issue with Derby and they typically last me about 5 shaves. I think they are a great value IMO.

I think you did well with the R41 as long as you start off carefully, you should be fine. I think it is one of the best razors available at any price based on my experience. I wish you many great, enjoyable shaves.
Steve

The gentleman above covered most points, i think most people get cut with the R41 because the angle is a little more difficult to get right at first & its really deceiving, just adjust the razor handle starting from the side, till it not only cuts but feels comfortable to you, if i have 2days growth i cant shave with the r41 because my skin is sensitive even though my beard is coarse, longer i leave it the easier & smoother the shave will be, i use a controlled steep angle because my beard is coarse but it varies from person to person , the razor isn't anything to be scared of but most importantly it depends on your skin type, the length of your beard & the type of beard you have coarse thin curly etc..

As for blades it varies for everyone again due to reasons above, use blades that you normally use that are comfortable & smooth on your skin, i do personally like a milder blade just for the comfortability but i can easily shave with a feather but i prefer to have atleast a week growth for it to feel comfortable, just experiment you will find whats right for you there isn't a set blueprint for everyone that is the same, enjoy it & good luck my friend.

I used a Barber Pole Merkur Slant with a Feather for years, but as my beard got even whiter and tougher that stopped doing the job. The R41 head is great for me with a Feather, but I thew away the slippery handle and fitted a custom stainless handle bought in UK on the bay.

Designwise I believe the head is genius as well as beautiful.
As for the handle, I have switched it for the Stainless Steel Braveheart from Executive Shaving. Looks fantastic imo.

I usually use an Astra SP in it, but preparation ist key with this razor: everything has to be top notch for me. Means shower, face wash, super slick and protective soap, no rush.

I am not too worried about cutting myself. I will respect and take my time.

I used to use a straight before I tore a bicep. I had the shakes in the arm for about a year and gave up wet shaving for ~10 years.

I am just starting collecting. Looking for the perfect tool for a one pass shave and touch up.

Offering nothing of value here with what I'm going to say haha

Anecdotally, I've found I have to make a point to shave with mine like I own it and and I'm fearless of it. It causes me much less troubles that way. I get a tremor in my hand when I try to slow down. And if I'm not using a sharp enough blade (Feather) it'll actually hang up on my stubble unless it has some energy behind it. Hanging up and pulling hasn't caused any blood, but it's a little worrisome when it happens.

But when I shave like it's a Merkur 34C, I get fantastic easy BBS shaves.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Well an r41 from a tech is apples to oranges. I use the r41 daily. It's my hands down favorite. I get the smoothest shaves with the sharpest blades. You could be completely different. You are in for a treat!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've only used Astra sp in mine so far. Astra's shine in it. I'm also not afraid of trying a sharper blade in it anymore. For me a steep angle with the r41 works best. It is the only DE where a two pass shave, wtg, xtg, gives me a dfs every time.

My preference is mild/moderate razors rather than very aggressive razors like the R41. But YMMV for sure!

Good choice! The R41-13 is a great razor. I used mine exclusively for 7 or 8 months. It is not real picky on blades either - most worked quite well in it.
That said, my current favorite, which I've been using almost exclusively for the past year, is the Ikon Tech. It seems a bit more blade sensitive, but it's more agile, should last longer (I've dropped it a couple of times) and very easy to use.

Enjoy the new razor!

Top Bottom