What's new

Thoughts from a 60 Yr Old DE Newbie

welcome

cheeks-- use light touch/ light pressure on razor, maybe try some nivea shave balm (you can put it on later so its not technically a post shave), irritation may be caused from bad blade, search for riding the cap lower blade angle

i want a 6C but i can vouch for the 34c is mild yet provides surprisingly close shaves with right blade. stick with one razor one known blade for a while. im sure someone (I) would be glad to send you a tuck or 2 of known blades for you to use and get consistent test. many here like a mild razor with aggressive blade, or the flip side mild blade with aggressive razor. (if you decide to part with 6c let me know)

i personally am not aa blade flipper, but easy enough to test ill give it a try

i think pre shave is KING it preps your skin and hair to be cut. even minimal prep provides exponentially better shave, at minimum hot shower with good glycerin (pears from dollar tree) soap on face. if you decide to explore more advanced, pre shave options oilve oil in kitchen can fill in for pre shave oil, and noxema cold cream is virtually proraso pre/post cream

most of us have thrown out canned goo. i have a bit left and use it clean/defog bathroom mirror. even the cheap wet shave soaps, cream, croaps will out perform any goo. quality of shave and skin conditioning will thank you. and face lathering takes about a minute. i prefer the slicker less airy lather. and you can fine tune lather to match your face,hair,blade,razor combination. tube based creams, croaps, will be faster than a hard soap

most of all ENJOY YOUR SHAVE.

shaving has become my moment of ZEN, tranquility. i look forward to shaving, i'd shave more often if my facial hair would grow faster

I understand where you are coming from. While I find shaving more enjoyable after I found this forum, there are times when I am in a rush. With any type of niche hobby, there are many nuances - I think you can ditch a lot of your worries and just focus on the most important until you want to go deeper.

Heat - while I can't speak for you. Lanolin has always caused me heat. I know Stirling has it in it. Do you feel heat with other creams/soaps?

Prep - I do nothing but shower first. Seems to work

Blades - I just rip off a fold in the empty wrapper after every shave. After all 4 folds are gone (4 shaves), I get a new blade. I don't worry about which side of the blade I shave with. It works itself out automatically.

Passes - If you are not worrying about a bbs shave. Only go 2 passes wtg and xtg. That should be quick.

Soaps - Also get quick lathering soaps or creams. Creams generally lather faster. There are also a lot of fast loading croaps. I found SV 4.3, Cella, Barberia Bologni, Barrister and Mann Reserve to be pretty quick lathering.

The Shave itself - I don't have a Rockwell but the 34c is pretty forgiving. You can go fast with it and I have found that DE shaving is faster once I got the angle because the blades are sharp and don't tug like cartridges (where I had to do many passes too). To find the angle quick - I ride the cap and then lower angle till it starts cutting-that's my angle. Some guys do the opposite and start from guard.

I also hold every razor just below where it screws in and the flare starts on the handle. Seems easy enough.

I can get a shave done in 8 min or less.

Welcome! B&B is great. I found that three passes were too many for me. I do two passes (WTG, XTG). Also, I've never had a problem handling DE blades though I expect I'll get cut at some point. Compared to handling a straight razor, however, I suspect handing DE's are a bit safer. Enjoy!

Top Bottom