What's new

Thoughts and ranking of some Gillette models

Since joining B&B in 2014 I have had the pleasure to try many vintage Gillette’s, and would like to offer a summary of my impressions. I have added pictures to help members understand the general models I am talking about, and they can search specifics.

The Old types: What can I say? I firmly believe these are meant for older thicker blades. Using different top cops and shims I have had good to great shaves, but never find them enjoyable.
61863787-9E8A-480E-8B0E-DFD15893498F.jpeg

The New standard: An improvement to be sure, but aggressive and not very rigid IMO. Many beautiful sets.
FEEBC058-0C4F-4765-ABB8-1426C4F77575.jpeg

The NEW’s: So many variations and too much to discuss. I would quickly rate them RFB=SC>Deluxe(both versions)>LC>Goodwill>others.
315ACC15-0A7A-40B4-BAC9-CD1DCEDBF5DE.jpeg

The Aristocrats: My favorite of the bunches, and a name reused across several decades. All of them are fantastic, both the British and American models. Many share the same heads on different handles, and the base plates were machined in England instead of stamped, making razors slightly different across the same range.
1st Gen OC> 46’ 47’ Aristocrat>1934 OC>3rd Gen SB>Executive(rhodium American barberpole)>2nd Gen SB>4th Gen SB> the rest.

F9486862-3620-48F7-9F60-3D74A938DD4D.jpeg

The Adjustables: I prefer heavy razors, so I like them in order of release. Fatboy>Slim>Super.
8EDA798D-2033-4417-9492-7C845DE4CFFC.jpeg

The Techs: I like all of them, but have never tried the RFB Tech. I assume it would be my favorite, but the Pre war tech wins for now.
2572F2B8-BC2A-4DA6-B428-87F19AA2E1D3.jpeg

The Superspeeds: many different models here, too many to name. I prefer the Red tip due to looks and weight, but find them all to be a tad to mild. I add razors like the lady Gillette here as the heads are the same.
3B0FB257-BD76-4FE4-B10D-236A402BFD60.jpeg

Final conclusion: I think the Aristocrats and NEWs were the cream of the crop when it came to Gillette razors. Would love to see others comparisons added below, I know many members have tried far more than I.

Top 5: Gillette Popular, 46’-47’ Aristocrat, Fatboy, RFB NEW, 1934 Aristocrat. I only kept the top 3.

Last edited:
Agree on the Old Type. My least favorite Gillette. Always draws blood.

The New is vastly superior.

Techs and Super Speeds I class as simply utilitarian. If you were just a regular guy 65 years ago, you probably used a Tech or SS. Shaving was just a daily thing in polite society, not a looked-for event.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have a 1914 Gillette Bulldog that gives me a smooth efficient Shave Everytime I use it every Sunday.
The RFB is just amazing
The 1934 Aristocrat is Very very smooth
The Gillette Popular is one of my favorites
1958 D-1 Toggle is Right at the top of my rotation.
1958 Fatboy gives me outstanding results
The Hybrid Tech is basically the RFB without teeth
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190804081049400_COVER.jpg

I have a 1914 Gillette Bulldog that gives me a smooth efficient Shave Everytime I use it every Sunday.
The RFB is just amazing
The 1934 Aristocrat is Very very smooth
The Gillette Popular is one of my favorites
1958 D-1 Toggle is Right at the top of my rotation.
1958 Fatboy gives me outstanding results
The Hybrid Tech is basically the RFB without teethView attachment 1006142

Nice Bulldog!

Great thread!! Interesting summary!

My (minor) differences are that I like Slims better than Fatboys and the Red tip is my least favorite SS, obviously YMMV is the rule.

I personally am a big fan of the British Aristocrats, the New SC, the New Deluxe and pre war Techs. I have a double ring that I will shave with on the weekends, so I can take my sweet time. Otherwise, not a fan of Old Types, adjustables or Super Speeds.

Since joining B&B in 2014 I have had the pleasure to try many vintage Gillette’s, and would like to offer a summary of my impressions. I have added pictures to help members understand the general models I am talking about, and they can search specifics.

The Old types: What can I say? I firmly believe these are meant for older thicker blades. Using different top cops and shims I have had good to great shaves, but never find them enjoyable.
View attachment 1006047

The New standard: An improvement to be sure, but aggressive and not very rigid IMO. Many beautiful sets.
View attachment 1006046

The NEW’s: So many variations and too much to discuss. I would quickly rate them RFB=SC>Deluxe(both versions)>LC>Goodwill>others.
View attachment 1006041

The Aristocrats: My favorite of the bunches, and a name reused across several decades. All of them are fantastic, both the British and American models. Many share the same heads on different handles, and the base plates were machined in England instead of stamped, making razors slightly different across the same range.
1st Gen OC> 46’ 47’ Aristocrat>1934 OC>3rd Gen SB>Executive(rhodium American barberpole)>2nd Gen SB>4th Gen SB> the rest.

View attachment 1006044

The Adjustables: I prefer heavy razors, so I like them in order of release. Fatboy>Slim>Super.
View attachment 1006048

The Techs: I like all of them, but have never tried the RFB Tech. I assume it would be my favorite, but the Pre war tech wins for now.
View attachment 1006049

The Superspeeds: many different models here, too many to name. I prefer the Red tip due to looks and weight, but find them all to be a tad to mild. I add razors like the lady Gillette here as the heads are the same.
View attachment 1006045

Final conclusion: I think the Aristocrats and NEWs were the cream of the crop when it came to Gillette razors. Would love to see others comparisons added below, I know many members have tried far more than I.

Top 5: Gillette Popular, 46’-47’ Aristocrat, Fatboy, RFB NEW, 1934 Aristocrat. I only kept the top 3.

Brother Zed,

I appreciated your excellent insights on these razors, and I largely agree with your thoughts.

When you shim the Gillette Old Type, how do you do it? One shim below the working blade? (That would make the razor more aggressive, but I don't want to make it more aggressive.)

Or one shim below and one shim above the working blade, to replicate the thickness somewhat of the original blades?

Or what?

I love the looks of the Gillette Old Type, but I would like to make it more comfortable and not so harsh. Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Top 3: My Popular, Fatboy, and 46’-47’ Aristocrat. Replated for a lifetime of use by me.
0C4DDD19-7955-48FF-83AF-97045630277F.jpeg

Brother Zed,

I appreciated your excellent insights on these razors, and I largely agree with your thoughts.

When you shim the Gillette Old Type, how do you do it? One shim below the working blade? (That would make the razor more aggressive, but I don't want to make it more aggressive.)

Or one shim below and one shim above the working blade, to replicate the thickness somewhat of the original blades?

Or what?

I love the looks of the Gillette Old Type, but I would like to make it more comfortable and not so harsh. Thanks for any guidance you can give.

I feel that a shim on top helps smooth it out, while one bellow adds a bit of aggressiveness to it. In the end I just don’t like the old type as much as the NEWs that followed it.

Top Bottom