What's new

Thoughts after first shave with MdC

As for the post shave, I actually love it. I shave my head and around my beard. A lot of other soaps are harder to get all the residue off. MdC is super easy to clean off after a shave.

They are terrific soaps, probably my second highest rated soap in my den. I have Original & Fougere. It is top tier in all areas except post-shave, as we all already know. What I realize is that what MdC does is focus on making the best soap & leave the post shave to the post shave camp of products. What I do is use Ethos Skin Food as my splash & I have a top drawer post shave with the MdC. A less costly option is to use Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm & use 7 - 10 drops in your hand & also splash some of your AS splash of your choice into your hand. Rub the mixture together then apply to your face. Both methods provide great post shave feel. And, of course, YMMV!
I do the same except with 444. Excellent results.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I've never smelled the Agrumes, but it just has to be better than the medicinal lavender plus formaldehyde smell of the original.

Original is really a soap with a complex smell. I liked the vetiver. For Martin's best work, try soft synthetic pomades or a very soft badger.

My original sample is close to running out after about 6 shaves. I probably have another shave left in it but that is about it. I do have 3 more samples to start with: Argumes, Vetyver and Fougere.

My initial thoughts are kind of mixed to be honest. I like the soap. The price is not an issue given the number of uses I should get from the soap. I am not sure if I love it or not though. The scent was ok though with the other samples I will have a better idea on which one I like the best. I do think that my tallow soaps create slicker lather for me than the MdC did. All of the soaps I have used get really good lather but if I had to rate them:

Declaration Grooming (Milksteak) > Barrister and Mann (Excelsior) = Zingari Man (Sego) > Stirling > MdC

Part of it could be the water we have. A lot of it could just be my inexperience.

Just tried my sample of MdC original for the first time today. It whips up a nice slick lather fairly quickly that feels good on my face. It gave me one of the best shaves that I’ve had. I did notice that the post shave left my skin feeling a little tight and sticky but that went away in a few minutes

My original sample is close to running out after about 6 shaves. I probably have another shave left in it but that is about it. I do have 3 more samples to start with: Argumes, Vetyver and Fougere.

My initial thoughts are kind of mixed to be honest. I like the soap. The price is not an issue given the number of uses I should get from the soap. I am not sure if I love it or not though. The scent was ok though with the other samples I will have a better idea on which one I like the best. I do think that my tallow soaps create slicker lather for me than the MdC did. All of the soaps I have used get really good lather but if I had to rate them:

Declaration Grooming (Milksteak) > Barrister and Mann (Excelsior) = Zingari Man (Sego) > Stirling > MdC

Part of it could be the water we have. A lot of it could just be my inexperience.

Where did you get the samples? My Shave Dash samples last nearly a month and I'm loading more heavily than when I use my jar of MdC Rose. Your lather may be too thick/not hydrated enough. I'm a fan of Stirling, but I find MdC is noticeably slicker and the post shave is fine (Stirling may have an edge there).

(your going to have to lose the Sharks logo soon...support the home team and all :) )

Where did you get the samples? My Shave Dash samples last nearly a month and I'm loading more heavily than when I use my jar of MdC Rose. Your lather may be too thick/not hydrated enough. I'm a fan of Stirling, but I find MdC is noticeably slicker and the post shave is fine (Stirling may have an edge there).

(your going to have to lose the Sharks logo soon...support the home team and all :) )
Got the samples at Maggards.

Also, I am probably not going to switch teams for a while .. ha ha. Its hard for me to do that since I have a lot of players I really like on the Sharks.

Also, I am probably not going to switch teams for a while .. ha ha. Its hard for me to do that since I have a lot of players I really like on the Sharks.

Completely off topic, but: nice to see another Hockey Fan, I'm (primarily) a Ducks fan myself :thumbup: But I do like a lot of other teams as well.

I exclusively use MdC at this point, bought four 200gr jars that I would rank in the following order:

1. Vetiver
2. Agrumes
3. Rose
4. Nature

Tried a sample of the Fougère but did not care for the scent.. Performance-wise it's all I would want from a soap.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I exclusively use MdC at this point, bought four 200gr jars that I would rank in the following order:

1. Vetiver
2. Agrumes
3. Rose
4. Nature

Tried a sample of the Fougère but did not care for the scent.. Performance-wise it's all I would want from a soap.
I had a sample of the Vetiver and it's my favorite Vetiver of any I've tried. Most are very floral and bright by comparison to MdC.

How is the Rose? Intense, light, etc?

I had a sample of the Vetiver and it's my favorite Vetiver of any I've tried. Most are very floral and bright by comparison to MdC.

How is the Rose? Intense, light, etc?

It's a very clean, natural and linear rose note. I'd say the scent strength is slightly lower than the others. The reason why I like the vetiver a bit more is that the benzoin undertone works better in that scent. (the agrumes has no benzoin I think) The rose without benzoin would be even better in my opinion but don't be mistaken, it's a glorious soap!

IMG_7721.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7721.jpg
    IMG_7721.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7

1. Vetiver
2. Agrumes
3. Rose
4. Nature

I am almost to the point of making MdC exclusive as well. I do enjoy Tabac, MWF and an occasional "artisan" soap, but MdC never disappoints. I have Fougere, Vetyver, Agrumes, Rose and Original and enjoy them equally. The Rose and Agrumes are more seasonal for Spring/Summer to me, whereas Vetyver and Fougere I prefer in Fall/Winter. Original year around.

On a side note, I always find it amusing when some will say MdC is expensive. These 5 jars I have will last me until 2030 and that is not an exaggeration. Five "artisan" soaps might last a couple of years.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's a very clean, natural and linear rose note. I'd say the scent strength is slightly lower than the others. The reason why I like the vetiver a bit more is that the benzoin undertone works better in that scent. (the agrumes has no benzoin I think) The rose without benzoin would be even better in my opinion but don't be mistaken, it's a glorious soap!

View attachment 1122121
Thank you. I'd probably like it. I have tried "ROSA PURA" from Soapy Science and it was waay too strong for me. I like the scent of roses, but I prefer the scent to be similar to actually smelling a rose, not the strength of a Bath and Bodyworks scent.

View attachment 1122121
Awesome pic, nice collection of simple tools.

View attachment 1122121

The razor is gorgeous!

MdC is super amazing. Its my only "big brand" soap. I have all in 200g except natural and ordinary. Yes, its pricey, put reconfirm like everyone else - it takes less soap so will last nearly forever. I also have mostly Spanish made soaps and none from America or UK/Italian made ones. IMHO the Spanish makers really hit a great balance on ingredients, simplicity, less marketing/design, and paying attention to customers. I really don't care for smell but Spanish makers just have something about theirs that make it very special. YMMV.

Anyhow, I found it ridiculous that West Coast Shaving is trying to sell some 50 gram MdC for the price of 200 gram. English Shaving for sure as of right now has the best price for USA folks.

The scents are subtle but linger well enough into the shaving time to enjoy for the one's I have used.
Cannot go wrong performance wise - just might get disappointment on smell if you are not fan.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have barely dented my jar of Original from years ago in the glass. I also had and gave away a jar of Fougere. It was an excellent Fougere but I am not particularly enamored with the genre. I am one who could use MdC exclusively as well. It’s absolutely wonderful.

This thread prompted me to order some Vetyver before it’s all gone. Ordered from Maggard. I do have to admit, I was a bit disappointed to hear that MdC switched from glass to plastic jars. I always felt the goass gave their product a more premium appeal.

I have barely dented my jar of Original from years ago in the glass. I also had and gave away a jar of Fougere. It was an excellent Fougere but I am not particularly enamored with the genre. I am one who could use MdC exclusively as well. It’s absolutely wonderful.

This thread prompted me to order some Vetyver before it’s all gone. Ordered from Maggard. I do have to admit, I was a bit disappointed to hear that MdC switched from glass to plastic jars. I always felt the goass gave their product a more premium appeal.
I never had one with a glass jar but I do prefer their older, understated labeling.

Those limited scents keep disappearing and reappearing. So it's possible they may be here to stay.

Top Bottom