What's new

Thought the blade was done after 6

Thanks for sharing this, that's very interesting.

You think an adjustable razor could prolong a blades life by increasing the aggressiveness periodically?

I certainly do; it would replace several ordinary razors. Unfortunately I have a hard time liking the adjustable Gillettes, the last one I got rid off was a short Black Beauty.

You think an adjustable razor could prolong a blades life by increasing the aggressiveness periodically?

I'm fairly new at extending the longevity of my blades, but I am steadily improving, getting 20+ shaves from Wilkinson Sword and Personna blades and having pushed two blades--the Gillette Super Silver Platinum and a Wizamet Super Iridium--past 30 shaves. Those last shaves ended in a Gillette Fatboy set to 8 or 9. I had read that moving a fading blade to a more aggressive razor made it shave more efficiently. In November I'm going to see if moving a blade with 20 shaves to an OC will extend its life.

I certainly do; it would replace several ordinary razors. Unfortunately I have a hard time liking the adjustable Gillettes, the last one I got rid off was a short Black Beauty.

I'm fairly new at extending the longevity of my blades, but I am steadily improving, getting 20+ shaves from Wilkinson Sword and Personna blades and having pushed two blades--the Gillette Super Silver Platinum and a Wizamet Super Iridium--past 30 shaves. Those last shaves ended in a Gillette Fatboy set to 8 or 9. I had read that moving a fading blade to a more aggressive razor made it shave more efficiently. In November I'm going to see if moving a blade with 20 shaves to an OC will extend its life.
Thank you both for the feedback. I have the Rockwell 6S, currently using plate 3. I'll try using 4 once I "think" the blade is losing a bit of its effectiveness, then go from there

Be careful about the technique and prep and blade longevity will surprise you.
I used to discard the blades after 3 or 4 shaves because it tugged and face got irritated.
After reading the Excalibur thread and following the advice there, today was shave 26 with an Astra SP in Rockwell with plate 3 and the results were excellent.

I get 20 shaves on a Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge blade and routinely get 10 on the Gillette 7 o'clock Superior Stainless and the Gillette Wilkinson Sword Saloon blades. All three are superb blades for me. I reckon I could get even more shaves out of them by switching to other razors and so forth. At the moment, the two greatest factors extending the blade life for me are; the use of less strokes when shaving and doing two pass shaves instead of three, except for those special occasions.

I also don't shave everyday, usually every two to three days and a blade can last well over a month or two of very good DFS and sometimes even BBS shaves. The cost per shave being reduced even more.

Interesting thread. I use Personna Labs/Blues for about a week per blade. [Note I use an injector 1x-2x a week though.] Two plus weeks ago I stuck a new Personna in my NDC Tech. I did 4 shaves in it. They were my usual CCS - I've got a sensitive neck & don't try for anything closer. I then shifted razors, not blade, to my Slim I got a full 7 shaves with that. Nice and smooth, very little irritation. For fun, keeping the same blade, I shifted this morning to my Schick Krona. If anything, the shave was even smoother than with the NDC tech, fresh blade or the Slim. It's all very interesting. I'm now curious as to how long the blade will last.

I can get 12 fantastic shaves with the Perma-Sharp and Wizamet Super Iridium blades. I shave full head and face daily, so I cover more area daily than most folks. I can push them through 14 shaves, though, in my case, they start running out of steam around the 13th shave.

For face only, I could probably get 20-30 nice shaves.

I don't use any special longevity treatment apart from removing the blades and flicking off the moisture between shaves. I don't store blades in the razor. I store them in a Personna blade dispenser which has a design allowing for re-insertion of blades. In my experience, keeping the blade dry between shaves enhances longevity.

I usually change blades every Monday anyway for administrative convenience even though seven shaves is much lower than their capability.

Last edited:
Had my 8th have with the same blade last night. I must say, that was one DFS!

The only think I have noticed is that the blade doesn't seem to take down as much hair on the 1st past as it did back in the beginning. Other than that, I can't feel much of a difference from when it was new.

I'm gonna keep running with it, try to teach myself what a bad blade really feels like [emoji4]

I do take apart my razor and dry everything, then reassemble when finished for storage.

Yesterday finished my second shave with a Feather blade in my Krona. Stubble left all over my face and I polished as long as possible, Those blades are just the opposite of a long laster. I think that they even lose their sharpness sitting in my shave supply drawer.

Well, I had to toss this blade after the 9th shave. I'm sure I could have gone more, but, after taking apart the razor to dry everything, I saw what looked like a small dent or Nick in the edge of the blade. I don't know if it happened before it after my shave but didn't want to risk another shave with it.

I still had a DFS but did have more sting from the alum than last the shave. I attribute that to over shaving in those areas [emoji4]

Know that I know I can get at least 9 shaves from this blade, the sky's the limit! [emoji1]

Hi all,

Just wanted to come back to this thread I started and give an update....

Today was my 14th shave on a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless! This is the furthest I have gone, and I don't think it's time to toss it yet 😀

Really the only difference I can tell so far is the the blade does leave a bit more stubble behind on the 1st pass. Other than that, I still do my normal 2 passes and clean up. Oh, and the base of the neck where the beard starts growing takes a could extra strokes. There's no tugging and so far any tugging or nicks I have gotten was because I was not paying attention and was rushing 😊

I thought about starting a the new year with a new blade, but man, this one keeps going 😆

Happy New Years everyone!

Sent from the GnomePhone

Today was my 14th shave on a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless!

Time to add Excalibur to your signature!

I'm at shave #18 on a 7 O'clock Green and while it's starting to go, there are shaves left. The only reason I'm going to toss is I want to start the new year with my recently acquired Brazilian-made Gillette Platinum-Plus blades and see how they stack up.

Technique makes a big difference, and the better (and more comfortable) your shaves get, the longer the blade should last. I've gotten mine down to a single pass ATG and some touchup to get a DFS with no weepers or irritation to speak of. Probably do better in the future. Should get 30 or shaves on my current blades in use.

Not everyone is going to get high numbers of shaves, but certainly more than 2 or 3 isn't out of reach.

Peter

The Gillette 7 O'Clock Green SS is one of the most overlooked and underrated blades out there. I have been a fan for several years now. Enjoy!

Top Bottom