What's new

Thought I smelled a bay rum, but it wasn't.

I asked a client (seventy year old gentleman) which bay rum he used, sure that what I was smelling was a much better version of the classic than my Pinaud's Virgin Island Bay Rum. Surprisingly he said it was Paul Sebastian cologne. Turns out it is a spicy/woody/citrus deal that, to me, smells like a quality bay rum. Anyone familiar with this stuff. It smells much better than the bay rum the janitor at my gym wears!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a small bottle of PS aftershave that was given to me as a gift. While I am definitely not a connoisseur of parfume, it is a very sweet scent, however bay rum doesn't come to mind.

I've also heard others describe Paul Sebastian's "PS" as similar to Old Spice, but to me it smells like a slightly powdery, mostly vanilla scent - but a very nice vanilla scent.

Paul Sebastian also makes "Design" and "Casual" fragrances. I'm not familiar with them.

Which one of the nine or ten Paul Sebastian scents for men is it, would you guess? Just checked basenotes; no one mentions one that smells like bay rum. Several are panned; several get ovations.

It is the Paul Sebastian for men signature cologne. At one point I thought it did smell a bit like Old Spice. There are definitely strong spice notes and this is noted in the manufacturer's description. "Aromatic Spices, Hints of Sweet Florals, Citrus plus the richness of soft woods and musk."
http://images.fragrancex.com/images/products/sku/big/1043M.jpg

Forgive my inexperienced nose, but it reminded me of a bay rum!

Last edited:
It is the Paul Sebastian for men signature cologne. At one point I thought it did smell a bit like Old Spice. There are definitely strong spice notes and this is noted in the manufacturer's description. "Aromatic Spices, Hints of Sweet Florals, Citrus plus the richness of soft woods and musk."
http://images.fragrancex.com/images/products/sku/big/1043M.jpg

Forgive my inexperienced nose, but it reminded me of a bay rum!

There's absolutely nothing to apologize for here. One of the most fascinating aspects about fragrances is how we each can smell something very different in the same fragrance. I am surprised every day at how certain fragrances remind me of things that are very different to what others describe. I read a lot of reviews, and constantly see "experienced" noses with differing descriptions.

Enjoy the differences, it's what makes fragrances fun! :thumbup1:

I believe the esteemed StylinLA has posted to the effect that the PS cologne is akin to Old Spice, but with more staying power, and I've heard many claim that Old Spice is a Bay Rum variant, or at least in the same family.

I wanted to check the stuff out, as I'm fond of both Bay Rum and Old Spice, but my subtle hints at Christmastime fell on deaf ears. Wallyworld was selling a cologne/AS set for about ten bucks, too. :mad3:

There's absolutely nothing to apologize for here. One of the most fascinating aspects about fragrances is how we each can smell something very different in the same fragrance. I am surprised every day at how certain fragrances remind me of things that are very different to what others describe. I read a lot of reviews, and constantly see "experienced" noses with differing descriptions.

Enjoy the differences, it's what makes fragrances fun! :thumbup1:

Agreed! In reading the reviews on one sight, reviewers placed this cologne in just about every category! I found it a pleasant spicy fragrance with a hint of citrus. Thanks for the discussion!

Paul Sebastian on me is sometimes extraordinary, sometimes major disappointment. For me, it is one of those scents that my chemistry and it are in a constant, epic battle; when the planets and stars are in perfect alignment, PS can be the best spicy barbershop type scent, other times it is a non-descript melange, quirky, funky, yucky.

Ho-hum. Guess I'm glad it is so inexpensive.

Top Bottom