What's new

Those who have a 1960s Gillette Super Speed

What's your impression of the razor? I'm using my dad's 1968 and the more I use it the more I like it. 7 O'Clock Yellows give me a close and forgiving (so far) shave. Is this a moderately aggressive razor? Maybe a 6 on a 10 scale? What's your favorite blade with this? The handle is Bakelite, right?

The handle is Bakelite, right?

Are you talking about the black-handled super speed?

Anodized aluminum, not Bakelite, though the 50s Super Speed had a Bakelite turning knob.

I have a fair number of Super Speeds. I like them all, but I'm partial to my birth year Flare Tip (1956) and my Blue Tip. Yet the best shaver of all is probably my British Rocket Flare Tip.

I have a birth year (1969) black handled SS. As has been said, the handle is resin coated aluminum. Great little shaver.

just used a 64 super speed tonight great shave also have a 56 birth year and a late 40's no date they seem to get milder as they go i have used gillette astra wilkinson sword and shark blades all seem good to me I would not call them aggressive i have not tried a red tip

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have several super speeds and I like them all. They are all great razors and they are getting like a Tech to me. If the price is right, it’s coming home.

I have several super speeds and I like them all. They are all great razors and they are getting like a Tech to me. If the price is right, it’s coming home.
So a Tech is milder? I'm watching one on Ebay. I have a post " How old is this Gillette Tech". Thanks.

Are you talking about the black-handled super speed?

Anodized aluminum, not Bakelite, though the 50s Super Speed had a Bakelite turning knob.

I have a fair number of Super Speeds. I like them all, but I'm partial to my birth year Flare Tip (1956) and my Blue Tip. Yet the best shaver of all is probably my British Rocket Flare Tip.

So those black flutes are aluminum? Thanks.

So a Tech is milder? I'm watching one on Ebay. I have a post " How old is this Gillette Tech". Thanks.

To me the tech and super speeds are about equally mild. I like them both.

My favorite super speed is the all metal flare tip. Not really any difference in the shave but I like the way the handle feels.

Tough to beat the SS razors, especially if you like the mild/moderate range!!:a29::a29:

GSB is a great match IMO!!

All three styles (50's, 60's and 70's) will give a great shave. I have all three but prefer the early 50's models.

I have two Super Speeds. A 1958 Flare Tip and a 1967 Black Handle. Of the two, I prefer the Flare Tip. It's slightly heavier and seems slightly more aggressive than the Black Handle. I can easily use a Feather in it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have two Super Speeds. A 1958 Flare Tip and a 1967 Black Handle. Of the two, I prefer the Flare Tip. It's slightly heavier and seems slightly more aggressive than the Black Handle. I can easily use a Feather in it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mine's a 1967 black too. First razor I ever used probably around 1968 (when I was 15). I think I prefer it to my Merkur now.

Top Bottom