What's new

Those "Birth Year" Razors.

I hadn't had the chance to check the date code on my Flair Tip SuperSpeed until last night.
What do ya know? It's my "Birth Year" razor. LOL...
Hadn't seen that one coming.
It's a user grade chrome plated, in pretty good shape, but nowhere near minty.
And I like it even more now.
How many others have found, or are on the lookout for the "Birth Year" models?
I think it's pretty trippy to contemplate while using.
Like thinking about your navel.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have a few birth year razors, one of which is a birth quarter razor. It's a bit of fun. The only reason I have more than the birth quarter is because, having been born in 1971, there are a couple of Gillette novelties available for my birth year, i.e., the "Q-1" and "R-R" Super Adjustables.

First vintage razor I bought was my birth year and birth quarter razor... Gillette Flare Tip as well. Not my favorite shaver, but enjoyable to shave with something that was made within about a month of when I was born.

My shaving astrological sign is H3, so it's not terribly difficult for me to find my birth year/quarter, which is the Slim.

In fact, I was just rehabbing the overly tight quarter turn of this H3 when I read your post (meaning: soaking and cleaning to loosen it up).

Looking forward to seeing some birth year razors, gents!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My first DE razor was a birth year razor (a K-3 Slim). I'd bought it before learning about date codes, etc. I've since bought a K-4 (birth quarter) Slim that was in better shape.

Even prior to this post I had intended to throw on a shave this weekend with my birth year Slim.

I am typically a die hard Fat Boy user and that has been my go-to for work for the past 6 months. Fired up my well worn, 20 year old Williams boar brush with L'Occitane, loaded a Gillette Nacet in my H3 Slim (set to 5) and proceeded to eradicate the last 24 hours of stubble.

All I can say is if you are a Fat Boy devotee and haven't tried the Slim yet, don't hesitate. I did my usual 2-pass plus touch up and I can't get over how smooth and clean the results are.

Dang!

I have two Fatboy F2's (I was born in April 1960). I have yet to invest in an expensive contemporary razor, but I just don't see how I could improve upon the shave I get with one of these.

I also have a birthyear (but 3rd quarter) SuperSpeed. It's a good razor, too; but I prefer the Fatboys.

Last edited:
My Mother-in-law gave me her Father's razor (my first vintage razor) a Gillette Slim that just so happens to be a birth year (and quarter) razor.

$photo 1(11).jpg$photo 2(7).jpg$photo 4(5).jpg
My Gillette Slims and Aristrocrat adjustables. One of each are my quarter razors. They`re fun to use when I`m in the mood for adjustable shaving. Life is great when shaving with my birth year Gillette razors.

I was born March, 1959, so fortunately, there are a lot of birth year possibilities for me and I own several.

I only have one sort of. 1974 U-2 Black Beauty. I PIF'd it to my FIL since he expressed interest in revisiting DE ahaving and that was the razor he used in his early shaving career. I noticed he had it in a curio cabinet last time we visited and maybe the revisit didn't take. Ha. It's all good. I'll probably get it back someday. At least he has a cool shaver on display now.

I'm too young to have a birth year razor(23)...but I sure do love my better than user grade-almost mint C1 '57 flair tip SS. One of my fav classic cars came from that year...I'll leave you to guess which one. :001_cool:

Top Bottom