What's new

Thorogood Logger Work Boots ( 804-3555 ) ( USA )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone!

Story Time:

The story is, I've been wearing the same pair of Red Wing work boots for 10-years, thats right, 10-years! They were a lower quality boot from the start, they cost with tax around $180 I think 10-years ago. I wore those boots out good, chunks of bottom sole missing, water easily getting in the boots, and wow were they uncomfortable, especially with lack of arch support! They did have steel toe though, so I had toe protection. So, naturally, I was on the hunt for a new pair of boots.

For those who many not be aware, Red Wing shipped their entire manufacturing operation to China, as such, they don't support local, manufacturing, no local jobs or locally sourced materials, and they are not unionized. Basically, they are a copy of Nike now. And when picking out a pair of foot wear, you should not only concern yourself with the foot apparatus, but also the company you buy from. It was quite clear, that I wanted to go with a USA made boot!

Thorogood or Danner?

There are two big USA boot manufactures that I was considering, Thorogood and Danner. After a whole weeks worth of research, I decided that I wanted high end boots this time. I wanted an aggressive bottom sole tread, I wanted steel toe, I wanted reinforced sole stitching. I wanted waterproofing, I wanted a removable insole, I wanted proper arch support. I also wanted to upgrade to a 9" tall boot this time around, with the kind of work that I do, having ankle protection just makes sense.

When looking at both companies, it was clear that both had what I wanted, but their was a considerable price difference between them. In order to get what I wanted from Danner, I would have had to put out over 400 dollars! Where as, I could get what I wanted with Thorogood, and get it for 340 dollars, or 370 dollars with tax included. So I chose Thorogood, and I am glad I did! Thorogood is a USA manufacture, uses locally sourced materials, and is a union company. This means they support America, not China!

To get a complete list of features on the Thorogood Logger work boots, please navigate to the link bellow...
Thorogood Logger Work Boots

Picture Time!:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

My Thoughts:

As soon as I put these on, I was amazed how well they fit my exact foot size, considering the fact that, these haven't had a chance to breakin yet! I was also impressed by how comfortable they are, right out of the box. These Thorogood Logger's, are quite a bit different then my old Red Wings. I sort of feel like I got to learn how to walk again with an arched heal boot lol! Additionally, these boots use a slightly difference lacing system then my old Red Wings, so its going to take some time getting used to.

Also, these boots weigh more too, my Red Wings weighed in around 3-pounds for the pair! Where as the Thorogood Loggers weigh in 5-pounds and 10.5-ounces. Its quite clear where the additional weight is coming from, thicker leather material, thicker bottom soles, taller boot too. Everything about these boots feel like quality to me, as long as I take good care of them, I think they will last me a very long time.

As long as the weather holds out, Friday looks like its going to be nice enough to get some work done, so I will be able to put my new boots through their paces, and be able to report back on my findings.

Question Time!

Are there anybody in this forum who wears Thorogood boots? And if so, what do you think of them? And more specifically, if you own these same exact pair of Logger work boots, how are they holding up for you?

I have two pair of Thorogood boots. They
are part of the 1892 collection and were
fashioned out of Horween Chromexcel leather.
I have the Janesville, which is a moc-toe
work boot (aka Irish Setter) and the Dodgeville,
their version of the Iron Ranger/1000 Mile-style
cap toe. Both fit well and are great performers.
List price was a little expensive (due to the Horween
leather) but I got both at around a 30% discount.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have two pair of Thorogood boots. They
are part of the 1892 collection and were
fashioned out of Chromexcel Horween leather.
I have the Janesville, which is a moc-toe
work boot (aka Irish Setter) and the Dodgeville,
their version of the Iron Ranger/1000 Mile-style
cap toe. Both fit well and are great performers.
List price was a little expensive (due to the Horween
leather) but I got both at around a 30% discount.

I did look at a few pairs of Irish Setter's, I actually found that they were an impressive looking boot as well, in the end, I chose to go with the Thorogood's. And, I sure do love those 30% discounts on stuff, but got no such discount for my Thorogoods. Which pair of boots would you say are your ultimate favorite?

My Janesville's are not Irish setter's. They are just the same style.
Reddish-brown leather. Moc-toe. Light-weight white sole.

I like both Thorogood's. The Dodgeville's feel solid. Great support. Bullet-proof.
The Janesville's are more supple. Feels like walking on clouds. Good
boot for if you are standing all day on a concrete floor. Tough to choose...
probably would go with the Janesville if I had to choose one.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
For those who many not be aware, Red Wing shipped their entire manufacturing operation to China, as such, they don't support local, manufacturing, no local jobs or locally sourced materials, and they are not unionized. Basically, they are a copy of Nike now. And when picking out a pair of foot wear, you should not only concern yourself with the foot apparatus, but also the company you buy from. It was quite clear, that I wanted to go with a USA made boot!

Just for members FYI:
Red Wing still makes plenty of boots in Minnesota, USA. Yes, they have some plants in China and some in Viet Nam as well. Not the entire line, thank heavens -- look at their Heritage line, all USA made as well as many in the work boot line.

Red Wing uses UFCW union trades workers, Local 1189 both in the assembly line and their own S.B. Foot tannery. Not sure where you're getting your info.

You may also know that other footwear brands do take advantage of outsourcing their production to other countries, saving much of the material and labor costs. And Thorogood is not an exception. Much of Thorogood boots’ production has been moved to China. So, it is not surprising if you see the ‘Made in China’ label inside their boots, too.

Top Bottom