What's new

Thomas Anthony Company

has anyone here ordered a custom brush from this company? i had never realized there were so many choices when designing my own brush! i had thought i basically had to pick the wood/burl type & that would be it. so many choices for a new brush user like me but after a dozen or so emails we were set. i do have some preliminary pics i can upload if anyone is interested.

FYI - i am not in any way affiliated with these guys. i actaully tracked them down on ebay a month or so back.

s~s

Hi SoulShine,
While I am not aware of the details of your daily shave, something to think about is that even the best treated and preserved wood handles may suffer from hot water soaking when you immerse a brush in a mug of very hot water on a daily basis. The brush you buy should meet the needs of your particular routine and personal preferences.
All of that being said, it's just shaving, not rocket science.:001_smile
I have learned through experience, that you never find the perfect brush the first time, or the second, or the third, or fourth...:blush:
Good luck and if you have any specific questions fire away.

i thought exactly the same. the burl i chose is afzelia wood and it will be treated with tung oil. i was also a bit concerned about the effects of the tung oil with regards to a reaction with the shave creme. this all being said i did order the brush so i'll just see what happens. i'm currently using an amenity brush & plan on getting a vulfix or QED soon.

thanks for your thoughts!

s~s

i'll give posting some early pics a shot.

the first pic is the stock i chose, the second is a style similar to the one i went with (it had to be changed to fit in the stand) and the last pic is my insert for the top of the handle - the purple coin, top middle. i went with super silvertip for the brush selection but there were other options available.

s~s

S~S,

Thanks for posting your initial comments. I've heard of the company, and am aware of their products. I intend to to order a handmade from them once time & funds are optimal. I look forward to your review of your brush.

soulshine said:
i'll give posting some early pics a shot.

the first pic is the stock i chose, the second is a style similar to the one i went with (it had to be changed to fit in the stand) and the last pic is my insert for the top of the handle - the purple coin, top middle. i went with super silvertip for the brush selection but there were other options available.

s~s

Soulshine...nice looking brush, but for some reason, when I look at that brush standing tall, one line keeps running through my mind..."Here I come to save the day"!

Let us know how it turns out.

Randy

..."Here I come to save the day"! ......bwahahahahahah....yup, i can see it too.

i did receive an update from matt at the thomas company along with some pics of the progress. the brush now needs to be tweaked a bit because when i talked to the company that had the brush stand, they gave me close measurements over the phone, they were off by 1/8" on almost everything. the total height of the brush including the bristles is over 5" tall. i'm psyched! :w00t:

s~s

would you please be so kind as to explain what you mean by "unique". i'm just trying to gather all the info i can.....

thanks!

s~s

By unique I mean singular in its occurence or novel. T. Anthony Co.s identification of the cylindrical hairs being more desireable than the tapers is unique. The only grade of hair that is commonly found as cylindrical is the black or dark brown pure badger. Its water holding capacities on an ounce for ounce equivalent bundle are typically lower than the equivalent best or super tapers. They are usually more brittle and do not have the ability to accommodate flex as their tapered cousins. Unless I misread the T. Anthony write-up, their writer asserts quite the opposite.

Top Bottom