What's new

This Wolfman is junk! no, wait...

When I was in the Army and we'd load onto the birds for a jump, we were crammed in like sardines. In each seat was a manila envelope type thing with printed black letters outside that read, "Even veteran paratroopers experience occasional motion sickness." We called it a barf bag. For my remaining enlisted years and even up until now, that phrase became a bit of a joke and catch-all saying to be made anytime we made a dumb mistake. Moments like today... even veteran wet shavers experience occasional bad shaves.

I've been trying out two new DE blades, the Timor - which has been quite nice - and also the SuperMax Diamond Platinum which was my choice for the past 3 days. Yesterday I used my Lupo 95 but this afternoon I switched the blade to my newer Wolfman WR1 that I obtained through a trade on BST.

This was a faster pre-work shave, not a slower day off I-have-time-to-stop and investigate shave but I'm thinking, "man, this shave is rough and brutal, what is going on?" So I endured my two passes and after rinsing off my face, I noticed maybe 2 or 3 weepers on my neck. Is this blade that bad in the WR1 when it works fine in the Lupo which is supposedly based on the WR1. It was one of my worst shaves ever. So...

I disassemble and clean my razors after each shave and also use a little nylon washer between baseplate and handle. As I'm screwing the handle off the Wolfman and remove the blade, I notice 2 nylon washers on the towel. That's when my lightning fast, bear-trap of a mind remembered placing a washer in between the empty Wolfman cap and plate the last time I stored it to prevent scratches. When I loaded the blade on to the cap, the washer was stuck to the baseplate and I ended up shaving with cap/blade/washer/baseplate then washer/handle. I know, right?

I'm not smart enough to understand the technical aspects of what was going on during the shave but my Scottish DNA compels me to believe all the little blade edge fairies were highly upset with my idiocy and were taking it out on my face and neck. So I guess the Wolfman gets another chance tomorrow or perhaps the day after... I need a chance to heal.

Feel free to share similar experiences so I won't feel like the only dummy on this forum. 😜

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Sounds like you brought yourself some weepers, who brought you crimson flowing rivers. I use the included washer that comes with my TTI95 razor. But one thing I learned after reading Rod's post, is that you can't use a washer for every razor. And it looks like you ended up learning that the hard way, YIKES! 😲

Here's hoping you have a better experience after your face heals. Normally people love their Wolfman's, thats why, when I saw your post, I was really surprised, till I discovered that the culprit for all the troubles, was that itty bitty washer of doom! :devil:

Sounds like you brought yourself some weepers, who brought you crimson flowing rivers. I use the included washer that comes with my TTI95 razor. But one thing I learned after reading Rod's post, is that you can't use a washer for every razor. And it looks like you ended up learning that the hard way, YIKES! 😲

Here's hoping you have a better experience after your face heals. Normally people love their Wolfman's, thats why, when I saw your post, I was really surprised, till I discovered that the culprit for all the troubles, was that itty bitty washer of doom! :devil:

I use a washer between baseplate and handle on almost all my razors. The problem was using one accidentally as a blade shim between the blade and baseplate.
I do not recommend. 😂
Reading your post...I'd have to give that WR1 a thumbs up. It could have been a real horror show. Hoping your next outing with the WR1 is a dream.
That's exactly what I thought afterwards. The wr1 .74 has given me nothing but great shaves so far. Considering my error, it seems I got off with just a warning. 👍

Last edited:
When I was in the Army and we'd load onto the birds for a jump, we were crammed in like sardines. In each seat was a manila envelope type thing with printed black letters outside that read, "Even veteran paratroopers experience occasional motion sickness." We called it a barf bag. For my remaining enlisted years and even up until now, that phrase became a bit of a joke and catch-all saying to be made anytime we made a dumb mistake. Moments like today... even veteran wet shavers experience occasional bad shaves.

I've been trying out two new DE blades, the Timor - which has been quite nice - and also the SuperMax Diamond Platinum which was my choice for the past 3 days. Yesterday I used my Lupo 95 but this afternoon I switched the blade to my newer Wolfman WR1 that I obtained through a trade on BST.

This was a faster pre-work shave, not a slower day off I-have-time-to-stop and investigate shave but I'm thinking, "man, this shave is rough and brutal, what is going on?" So I endured my two passes and after rinsing off my face, I noticed maybe 2 or 3 weepers on my neck. Is this blade that bad in the WR1 when it works fine in the Lupo which is supposedly based on the WR1. It was one of my worst shaves ever. So...

I disassemble and clean my razors after each shave and also use a little nylon washer between baseplate and handle. As I'm screwing the handle off the Wolfman and remove the blade, I notice 2 nylon washers on the towel. That's when my lightning fast, bear-trap of a mind remembered placing a washer in between the empty Wolfman cap and plate the last time I stored it to prevent scratches. When I loaded the blade on to the cap, the washer was stuck to the baseplate and I ended up shaving with cap/blade/washer/baseplate then washer/handle. I know, right?

I'm not smart enough to understand the technical aspects of what was going on during the shave but my Scottish DNA compels me to believe all the little blade edge fairies were highly upset with my idiocy and were taking it out on my face and neck. So I guess the Wolfman gets another chance tomorrow or perhaps the day after... I need a chance to heal.

Feel free to share similar experiences so I won't feel like the only dummy on this forum. 😜

Live and learn!! As they say, ‘A poor workman blames his tools!’

The good news is that you figured out the issue. :facep::facep::facep::facep:

I'm surprised you could shave at all. Good that you didn't slice up your face with an unsupported blade. You have good technique, I think we can say that :)

Btw, how was the other shave?

I'm surprised you could shave at all. Good that you didn't slice up your face with an unsupported blade. You have good technique, I think we can say that :)

Btw, how was the other shave?

If you mean the next shave after that incident, it was great. If I recall, I used a Gillette Platinum - three or four days later - and had one of my best shaves ever. The WR1 is consistently one of my top performers so the razor held no grudge at being falsely accused.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you mean the next shave after that incident, it was great. If I recall, I used a Gillette Platinum - three or four days later - and had one of my best shaves ever. The WR1 is consistently one of my top performers so the razor held no grudge at being falsely accused.
What gap is your WR1, and which platinum? I just used the new blue box Platinum in my .80 and it was perhaps the best blade in that razor yet. It was my first shave ever with the blue box Platinum blade. And that sucker is going into my WR2 1.55 today. Looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hehe, I have a similar story with my Wunderbar.

I once had to use isopropanyle and hot water to unglue the head, I left a Nacet in and shaved with other razors for weeks.

So next time I used it, I remembered what they wrote on Italianbarber...
"(...) caveat, if you are using a blade with a lot of glue on it, I urge you to take the blade out after each shave. If you leave a blade with a lot of glue in the razor for days and weeks, the head will be difficult to disassemble because of the super tight tolerances (the glue will stick everything together)."

... and didn't tighten the razor head much.

Next time I put it out: Ah, a blade is already loaded.

I started shaving and noticed mid shave that it behaves differently, a bit more feedback, more aggression... and then I noticed that I didn't screw tight the handle. :blink::w00t:

All good though, nothing happened...^^

I had never used these plastic washers in 20 years of wet shaving, but when I bought my ATT R1 I found it inserted.
in Italy it was difficult to find the razor and I was very happy to have it.
I thought: surely it will not be removed
I had read it was a mild razor but while I was shaving it looked like a Merkur Future at 12.
I Also shaved with my usually against the grain pass
only good technique saved me
I could have hurt myself a lot
since that day all razors seem delicate to me LOL

What gap is your WR1, and which platinum? I just used the new blue box Platinum in my .80 and it was perhaps the best blade in that razor yet. It was my first shave ever with the blue box Platinum blade. And that sucker is going into my WR2 1.55 today. Looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

Gap is .74 and the blades are the newer ones. I got a couple tucks from razorbladeclub and definitely will try to pick up 100 somewhere.

20220630_062936.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I just picked up the 100 pack from razor blades club. Best price I have seen. Excellent blade in the first go.

And I have to delay the 1.55 shave, as today is the inaugural Blackland Thursday. So must participate.
Amazon has 100 Plats for under $10, Brad (fyi).

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom