What's new

This was my old man's brush

I've had it for years, it's awful! It split so bad he had copper wire wrapped around it to hold it together. The only before pic I have is this one, and it just happened to get caught in the photo. The wire has already been removed. The split on the other side looked just as bad.

100_2006.JPG

I put some big rubber bands around it and soaked it in water for a couple of days, and it closed up pretty good. It has been drying since January.

100_2203.JPG
100_2204.JPG
100_2206.JPG
100_2239.JPG
100_2241.JPG
100_2248.JPG

If it hadn't been his I wouldn't bother, but I will fix this one, and I will use it, but with a different knot.

Could you just stain it then use an epoxy to stabilize it? That would give you protection from water plus keep everything original in tact. You would still see the voids in the wood, but they would be filled and give it that nice worn antique look.

Cool idea soaking it. I'm staying tuned to this thread, I want to see how you transform it into a thing of beauty!

I have a vacuum stabilizing setup and would stabilize it for free if you want. That being said, I can't guarantee the outcome, but I can guarantee that you'll have a lot of hand sanding to do after the stabilizing process. The outside will be covered with cured resin since some gets forced back out of the wood during the baking process to cure it. It could also be dyed during the stabilizing process, but I think the only dye I currently have that's compatible with the stabilizing resin is dark green. If you'd like it stabilized, just give me a holler.

There is work in progress,
Cool idea soaking it. I'm staying tuned to this thread, I want to see how you transform it into a thing of beauty!

I have a vacuum stabilizing setup and would stabilize it for free if you want. That being said, I can't guarantee the outcome, but I can guarantee that you'll have a lot of hand sanding to do after the stabilizing process. The outside will be covered with cured resin since some gets forced back out of the wood during the baking process to cure it. It could also be dyed during the stabilizing process, but I think the only dye I currently have that's compatible with the stabilizing resin is dark green. If you'd like it stabilized, just give me a holler.

Wow, that's a very generous offer, but I'm beyond that stage already. I didn't start this thread until I was sure I had a happy ending! I'm not done yet, but I'll post a pic or two tomorrow.

Thanks man! :thumbsup:

It's gonna survive!!!

One part I didn't take pix of, was boring a 3/4 hole just shy of all the way through, and gluing in a piece of 3/4 dowel. So it now has a nice solid center that will hold everything together. After sanding, scraping, and steel wooling, I dunked it in Teak oil. I watched the bubbles come out and it submerged, and I left it in there overnight to saturate as much as possible. It will get several more coats over the next few days, then steel wool again, and two more coats, so, about another week. Here it is after the soak.

100_2262.JPG
100_2263.JPG
100_2264.JPG
100_2265.JPG

@TobyC WOW that is great work. :a14:Honestly I wouldn't thought it could have been save. That's looking super now, and will only better with a new knot. What knot do you plan on installing? :clap:

Top Bottom